Vikings Sign Byron Murphy

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Yeah..... I get the mindset but am not very accepting of the consequences of having that mindset. In any other industry.... you'd be doomed. In this one, you just get ridiculed, but the fanbase still ponies up to the altar every September. I just want more than that I guess.

This isn't a company that will just peter out and die like most franchises that fail to adapt and adjust over time. The loyalty of the fanbase gets drug along like like the loyal dog who has an abusive master.

I'm not advocating leaving your fandom at the door. But your expectations should be adjusted accordingly as you look around at all the pretty cars and trophies the other fans get to play with while you pay for takeout from the local dive bar.

And for that matter, why endorse, entice, or reward that type of leadership with a large amount of my time or treasure? I guess I'm the optimist that just wants more out of the relationship than that. Because it's definitely not me........ ITS THEM.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't have much compassion for millionaires whining about having to pay for some food. Such a hardship for this young man who is paid handsomely to play games for a living.
But you are seemingly okay with the our billionaire not paying for food, when the rest of the billionaire owners do?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
But you are seemingly okay with the our billionaire not paying for food, when the rest of the billionaire owners do?
The millionaire with an average 3 year window sacrificing his body is the problem here. Not the billionaire who can perform at an atrocious level for decades and still watch his income and net worth go up every year like clockwork.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope. Never said that. It's kind of embarrassing when you're the only one doing things differently than the other clubs and you should definitely make some changes based on the players' review of your practices. That doesn't mean it's the end of the world and Byron was skipping meals because he couldn't afford to purchase something. Maybe the league and the NFLPA should work some things into their agreements that include what services must be provided for players.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope. Never said that. It's kind of embarrassing when you're the only one doing things differently than the other clubs and you should definitely make some changes based on the players' review of your practices. That doesn't mean it's the end of the world and Byron was skipping meals because he couldn't afford to purchase something. Maybe the league and the NFLPA should work some things into their agreements that include what services must be provided for players.
Has this somehow turned into a players pay for all their meals thing? Because that’s not the case. I don’t think the NFLPA can regulate or mandate any team to feed players that come work out on their own time during the off season???

Yes it’s still cheap btw…. Just wondering what the convo has morphed into and what people’s perceptions are???

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has this somehow turned into a players pay for all their meals thing? Because that’s not the case. I don’t think the NFLPA can regulate or mandate any team to feed players that come work out on their own time during the off season???

Yes it’s still cheap btw…. Just wondering what the convo has morphed into and what people’s perceptions are???
Seems like some on here think everything in the stadium should be free and available to all players at any time.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

My work gives me free coffee.

If the place across the street offered me a 30% raise but no free coffee I would jump ship in a heart beat. Then a week later I would complain about not getting free coffee.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My work gives me free coffee.

If the place across the street offered me a 30% raise but no free coffee I would jump ship in a heart beat. Then a week later I would complain about not getting free coffee.
Totally get that :)

Red Bird

Veteran
Reaction score
NOT A BIG DEAL? You think having to pay for lunch is not a big deal? Put your coats on, I’m gonna show you something, and I don’t think you’re gonna like it.

This is Byron Murphy, his cheapskate owner made him pay for his meals at the facility. Thanks to people like Bidwill, he will now have to stay at a 4 star hotel on his 2 week vacation to Hawaii instead of a 5 star hotel
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your two opinions don't jive.

You think it is embarrassing that the cheap owner does things differently than the other teams, and yet the players that get asked these questions in a survey shouldn't complain about them?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your two opinions don't jive.

You think it is embarrassing that the cheap owner does things differently than the other teams, and yet the players that get asked these questions in a survey shouldn't complain about them?
As Shane said, Bidwill is under no obligation to change anything. Personally, if you or I ran a team we would likely at least want to run things like the other teams. Maybe he's wired differently because he inherited the team and they're just running things the way they always have.

As for Murphy's response, I just think if I were a player I'd be happy for my contract and my new place to play, and if I was asked to comment about my previous team and how they do things (anything at all) I'd just say "I am a Viking now. Not going to comment on my previous team. Move on to the next question." Otherwise, you're just going to come off as ungrateful and spiteful like Simeon Rice, Pat Pete, Honey Badger, etc. Be thankful for the team that drafted you, gave you a chance, let you make your name in the league, and helped to get you where you are now.

Sometimes you pull for former Cards' players when they move on and other times you hope they get torched the next time we play them on their new team. Murphy just moved to the latter category for some Cards' fans.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As Shane said, Bidwill is under no obligation to change anything. Personally, if you or I ran a team we would likely at least want to run things like the other teams. Maybe he's wired differently because he inherited the team and they're just running things the way they always have.

As for Murphy's response, I just think if I were a player I'd be happy for my contract and my new place to play, and if I was asked to comment about my previous team and how they do things (anything at all) I'd just say "I am a Viking now. Not going to comment on my previous team. Move on to the next question." Otherwise, you're just going to come off as ungrateful and spiteful like Simeon Rice, Pat Pete, Honey Badger, etc. Be thankful for the team that drafted you, gave you a chance, let you make your name in the league, and helped to get you where you are now.

Sometimes you pull for former Cards' players when they move on and other times you hope they get torched the next time we play them on their new team. Murphy just moved to the latter category for some Cards' fans.
He should be if he wants to change the perception of this franchise not only to future employees (players and staff alike) but to fans as well.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

he was just kidding with the all u can eat response
At today He has nothing to do with some players u listed that openly showed resentment
He wrote a nice message on ig being extremely grateful with the Cardinals organization and fans

Last edited:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He should be if he wants to change the perception of this franchise not only to future employees (players and staff alike) but to fans as well.
I totally agree. He needs to look in the mirror and realize he is part of the problem here. Image is everything. He should be embarrassed. The biggest thing he needs to do IMHO is to step away from the everyday operations and let football people run the football program. Hire people in all aspects of running the organization and LET them run it.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he was just kidding with the all u can eat response
At today He has nothing to do with some players u listed that openly showed resentment
He wrote a nice message on ig being extremely grateful with the Cardinals organization and fans
So did Pat Pete and others. Most players do that. Then some run their mouths and burn bridges. There are reasons even Anquan is not present in our ring of honor. Disgruntled players who go out of their way to criticize their former team have a lot of work to do to later earn honors from that same team.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Personally I don't think it was that bad B. The fact that the dippy interviewers felt the need to ask him that is all the ammo we need to feel embarrassed. Murph kind of blew it off but made a lil joke over it. I'm okay with it.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally I don't think it was that bad B. The fact that the dippy interviewers felt the need to ask him that is all the ammo we need to feel embarrassed. Murph kind of blew it off but made a lil joke over it. I'm okay with it.
Hopefully, you're right. Hard to tell the context from a tweeted quote. Just seems trivial to add fuel to the fire.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Where I worked, if we wanted coffee (me), food, a little office party, etc., it came out of our pockets. We had to provide our own. No freebies. I made a whole lot less than your football player, a whole lot less.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Where I worked, if we wanted coffee (me), food, a little office party, etc., it came out of our pockets. We had to provide our own. No freebies. I made a whole lot less than your football player, a whole lot less.
...and if every other company in your field provided all of that, at high quality, and your company also had bad facilities, you'd probably have wanted to be at one of your company's competitors.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Just a heads up - When you operate a business there’s this pesky thing called competition. And in order to attract talented employees and customers to your business you have to offer incentives (which is often money or perks that cost money) that are equal or greater to your competition or else customers and employees will end up working for or financially supporting said competition since every single one of us behaves as human beings with incentives in mind.

Not sure how this is hard to understand.

Last edited: