Vikings Sign Byron Murphy

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
How many do you get by signing players to deals that don't befit their level of play? Ask Steve keim, he knows well.

How would you know who or how they will replace them with? FA literally just started. This is the point.

Have these rants after FA and the draft are over. That's the sensible time to have them. Having them on March 15th is nuts.
No, a very sensible time to discuss what happens is . . . as it happens. Because when it’s all over and your prognostications that we will be fine and will eventually replace nfl players ends up in the toilet (see last year) you’re all crickets. Or you can piss and moan about other posters displaying their thoughts on actual football matters. I guess the latter is your M.O.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’ll say after final cutdowns. At that point we know where the roster and PS stand. Whether the team is competing or not, I doubt we will be. But at that point we’ll have a better idea of the roster in its entirety for the coming season, future; the coaches ability to coach (at least in the offseason), and Montis ability to create a roster we can all agree is a hellscape.
So in the meantime are you just going to post criticizing other posters? Because if you’re going to save opinion until then I don’t know why else you would post.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Cards traded for Mullen in August. Which time frame are we dealing with here? March or the one after one of our cornerbacks died?

Regarding Mullen I believe what I said was that he was statistically as good, if not better, than Murphy. Which he was. Probably still is. I assume that Mullens fall from grace from regular starter to roster hopper is due to the ankle injury that caused him to miss much of 2021.

I believe it was a reminder that March 15th is not the time to accept more or predict less. It's a time to sit back and see what happens.

Think of it like getting your portrait painted. Best to just sit and wait until the major elements have been painted before telling the artist they suck.
Lol. But what if from time to time you could see what the painter is painting and it sucks? Still wait until he’s done to form an opinion? That’s a more accurate analogy.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
My point was everyone is complaining about the small cumulation of moves overall or lack their of, and saying they haven’t done enough. My point being wait until the entire offseason is over before judging. But hey may as well call me an idiot. Thanks ouchie. Thought more of you than that.
Dude people are on here bemoaning losing actual players. You’re on here criticizing posters. Do you not recognize this fact? If we all adopted your and Brit’s position we wouldn’t be allowed to discuss anything until some future random date at which our roster will be fully constructed. Along your line of reasoning I guess I should expect you to refrain from celebrating any signings too, right? Because we can’t know what our final roster will be. Does this make sense to you?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
POVERTY FRANCHISE. I love when people act like this stuff doesn't matter, yet it's all anyone is talking about when players move.

Upon making his free-agent decision, Murphy talked to two former Cardinals teammates, linebacker Jordan Hicks and Peterson, and former Arizona defensive backs coach Marcus Robertson. He said they all endorsed the Vikings under head coach Kevin O'Connell.

"[Robertson] was just like, 'Man, you're going to go up there with a great group of guys who actually care about their players,'" Murphy said. "All those little details and stuff I was looking at, he kind of answered for me."

Murphy was asked about the NFLPA's leaguewide survey in which the Vikings were voted No. 1 by players asked to grade their teams on eight categories including nutrition, training room facilities, weight room and support staff.

The Cardinals ranked near the bottom, with players reporting they were charged by payroll deduction for weeknight dinners at the team's facilities.

"I think it's free upstairs, so I'm good now," Murphy said. "It's all-you-can-eat now."

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
POVERTY FRANCHISE. I love when people act like this stuff doesn't matter, yet it's all anyone is talking about when players move.

Upon making his free-agent decision, Murphy talked to two former Cardinals teammates, linebacker Jordan Hicks and Peterson, and former Arizona defensive backs coach Marcus Robertson. He said they all endorsed the Vikings under head coach Kevin O'Connell.

"[Robertson] was just like, 'Man, you're going to go up there with a great group of guys who actually care about their players,'" Murphy said. "All those little details and stuff I was looking at, he kind of answered for me."

Murphy was asked about the NFLPA's leaguewide survey in which the Vikings were voted No. 1 by players asked to grade their teams on eight categories including nutrition, training room facilities, weight room and support staff.

The Cardinals ranked near the bottom, with players reporting they were charged by payroll deduction for weeknight dinners at the team's facilities.

"I think it's free upstairs, so I'm good now," Murphy said. "It's all-you-can-eat now."

Yeah, it definitely matters. When guys are getting paid millions of dollars, you don't nickle and dime them. As they say, it's the little things that always matter. Bidwill is as cheap as they come. Rich people aren't always smarter either, just luckier or ruthless.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it definitely matters. When guys are getting paid millions of dollars, you don't nickle and dime them. As they say, it's the little things that always matter. Bidwill is as cheap as they come. Rich people aren't always smarter either, just luckier or ruthless.
Ehhh tell that to the Yankees where just had an article saying they charge their players for WiFi on the team plane. Lol

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ehhh tell that to the Yankees where just had an article saying they charge their players for WiFi on the team plane. Lol

Yankees have the luxury of being the most signature franchise of all U.S. sports. Or arguably top 3.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yankees have the luxury of being the most signature franchise of all U.S. sports. Or arguably top 3.

I see the point that for the sake of probably less than $20,000 a year Mike should just make all meals free. Were only talking about out of hours.

At the same time, I don't think this is something players are really bothered about. I don't think players are huddled in the locker room complaining they had to pay $8 for some takeout. But if you put a form in front of somebody and say "Fill this in with all your complaints" then players are going to find things to beef about.

So yes, Mike should fix it but also it's overblown. A fringe issue.

Far more concerning was players complaining about the quality of the food or things like the gym floor.

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's the same reason some really expensive hotels can charge for Wi-Fi too or other ridiculous fees. Either you can get away with it via the status/clientele, or you are a poverty <insert business here>
Really a false equivalence. I’m not the hotels employees. I’m a guest using their facilities.

Yankee players are employees on an actual business trip for the team on a team plane.

But whatever helps you reason It I suppose.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I see the point that for the sake of probably less than $20,000 a year Mike should just make all meals free. Were only talking about out of hours.

At the same time, I don't think this is something players are really bothered about. I don't think players are huddled in the locker room complaining they had to pay $8 for some takeout. But if you put a form in front of somebody and say "ill this in with all your complaints" then players are going to find things to beef about.

Far more concerning was players complaining about the quality of the food or things like the gym floor.

People always notice the small details and sometimes it's about not the money portion, it's the idea that you feel cared for, or respected,or any number of words. Money goes a long way

Quality of things you mentioned is all just a symptom of a bigger problem.

Reactions: PJ1

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Really a false equivalence. I’m not the hotels employees. I’m a guest using their facilities.

Yankee players are employees on an actual business trip for the team on a team plane.

But whatever helps you reason It I suppose.

So then what's your point?

The Yankees are a cheap franchise cause they charge for wi-fi? Are there any examples to show they aren't cheap or is this a one off?

Or is it the defense of Cardinals/Bidwill of not actually being cheap when there is evidence otherwise?

Are the Yankees not a signature franchise where they can probably get away with things other teams can't?

Is the reputation of the Cardinals strengthened or weakened by the latest report? Maybe people could talk about it or see it first hand, but now it's open for all to see. Already bottom tier respectable franchise.

Last edited:

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
It's the same reason some really expensive hotels can charge for Wi-Fi too or other ridiculous fees. Either you can get away with it via the status/clientele, or you are a poverty <insert business here>
These are no longer George Steinbrenner's, win at all costs and treat them like kings, Yankees. Just like other teams, they have a bottom line to not go below. The ownership group, which is still majority Steinbrenner family, has a lot of other interests and holdings in other teams and franchises now.

What happened to the Cards in the survey is unfortunate. While the perception is that there's a huge gap between them and other teams, on how they treat players or facilities, the reality is, is won't take much to actually close the gap. In the grand scheme of things, it's not a lot of money needed to fix the weight room and improve the training facilities and it's surely not a lot of money to hire better chef's and just say, hey take all the food you want (hint: it's way cheaper than firing coaches and GM's every couple of years). I'd be willing to bet that it even got as bad as it did, is because the team never even asked for feedback or ignored what outsiders said. When you find out the GM is really on the sauce (allegedly) and not around much for a couple of years (allegedly) the attention to detail goes down the crapper.

I really want to see the team take the information to heart and make improvements...however, I don't want to see bragging on social media about what they are doing or have done (cuz that's more sad, IMO), in a few months...I'd rather wait to see the results of the next NFLPA survey and let that speak for what they've done.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
At the same time, I don't think this is something players are really bothered about.
Of course you don't. You don't get it.
I don't think players are huddled in the locker room complaining they had to pay $8 for some takeout. But if you put a form in front of somebody and say "ill this in with all your complaints" then players are going to find things to beef about.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

It's all everyone is talking about. Just because you don't want something to be true, doesn't make it less true.

THEY ARE ALL PART OF THE SAME PROBLEM.

Reactions: PJ1

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Wasn’t Brit asking for quotes from players where this stuff made a difference? Guess this is exhibit a.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

At the same time, I don't think this is something players are really bothered about. I don't think players are huddled in the locker room complaining they had to pay $8 for some takeout. But if you put a form in front of somebody and say "Fill this in with all your complaints" then players are going to find things to beef about.

Murphy literally just proved you wrong. Or did he have a form in front of him . . . ?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I'm afraid that the hard core fanbase cares a great deal more than our ownership does. I have felt like this for a bit now and over the last 5 years a fog of invincibility has been lifted so that I can finally now see more clearly than ever that Mike is no better than his old man was. Adjusted for inflation...... they are the same person. It may look like more, but like any other industry..... He still hasn't adjusted the organization enough to be an employer of choice in his peer group. And frankly, that really matters when your trying to recruit the best and brightest in the industry to your organization, as well as change the impression others may have for you at the same time.

#POVERTYFRANCHISE needs to trend IMO. But honestly, I don't think he will care.

Tobin, Mac, Green, Wiz, Bruce, Steve, Kliff, & Gannon. All of them have a ton of things in common. And if they had better HC opportunities when we hired them, I think they would have taken them over us. Only one went on to bigger and better things and he had to retire for a year to get away from the franchise.

None of this is rocket science...... We are not an employer of choice in our field. We nickel and dime everything since the 90's and people only choose us if we overpay, or if they themselves have few options. And then they leave when they can as well.

That's my take.