Versatility of the Cardinals' Defense

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
The pundits often refer to football games as a chess match. When newly appointed DC James Bettcher arranges his board on game days for the Arizona Cardinals, he could have some very intriguing moves to make.

Queens:

What a luxury it is for a chess player to add a second queen to his board. Bettcher, in my opinion, starts his first game as DC with two queens:

Tyrann Mathieu---when 100% healthy, this young man can do it all on the football field: he's the team's best and most fundamental tackler because he understands pad levels and he drives through his tackles and wraps up. He can blitz off the edge or up the middle. Fundamentally he is the team's most sound cover man---he plays solid angles while maintaining proper cushion, he always has a sense of where the ball is, he anticipates with excellent timing and he makes sudden breaks on the ball. He can play CB, SS, nickel CB and FS. Talk about versatility.

Deone Bucannon---due to the team's lack of a nickel LB, Bucannon filled that role as a rookie and proved himself to be a highly athletic chaser, thumper and finisher. Like Mathieu, Bucannon takes ball carriers out by the knees and he drives through on his tackles. In coverage, he has the speed to run side by side with any TE or RB. He is still learning cover techniques and proper leverage. There was a good deal of improvement in that area this past season. And---look out this year, because Bucannon is going to be let loose as a heat seeking missile on blitzes.

The question now is---will Bettcher move Bucannon into the starter's role at SS? If so, where does Mathieu play? CB opposite Patrick Peterson? At FS?

The luxury the Cardinals have at safety is that FS Rashad Johnson is coming off his best season as a pro. He is super smart and has developed into a very good ballhawk and open-field tackler. Johnson wore down physically toward the end last year---and has played through all kinds of painful injuries. But, if he can maintain his health this year, there is no reason he shouldn't start at FS.

I will go out on a bit of a limb here---but I think that James Bettcher is going to implement a hybrid defense wherein both of his queens, Matthieu and Bucannon will be used where they thrive: in the box. Thus, the employment of twin strong safeties? Essentially, yes. It will at certain times look like the old 53 defense---and at others like the old 44. And what Bettcher will be able to do is to disguise all kinds of blitz and coverage packages.

The philosophy of the scheme is to funnel everything into the middle---where an array of rooks (castles) will be hell-bent on punishing the RBs and QBs.

Castles:

Calais Campbell---has been very outspoken about the Cardinals maintaining the aggressive shoot the gap and penetrate the backfield approach. This is his game and he's becoming an All-Pro at it.

Frostee Rucker---even if Darnell Dockett returns, Rucker will remain the starter, because he is now thriving in this role---and there is a sense that Ed Stinson is right on the doorstep as well. Dockett can rotate in---and if not Dockett, there should be an attempt to re-sign Tommy Kelly. Plus, Kareem Martin and Josh Mauro add intriguing depth and versatility, especially if Tom Pratt develops them as nickel pass rushers.

At NT, Dan Williams has steadily progressed and hopefully is re-signed. If not, the Cardinals will hope that Alemda Ta'amu returns to his 2013 form and that the team can land a FA or draft pick.

The Thumper---MJ keeps alluding to the fact that he keeps hearing that the Cardinals want to add a "thumper" at ILB, which at first, at least to me, sounded a little curious, seeing as there has been hope that 3rd year ILB Kevin Minter would assume that role. But, without question, Minter has not manifested the kind of punishing downhill tackling that the Cardinals have been expecting from him, and thus, patience is wearing thin.

The question is---who will that thumper be?

For starters, while Larry Foote isn't what anyone would call a classic thumper, he is a classic downhill cleaner upper. He reads the holes quickly and decisively and he is an outstanding wrap-up tackler. The issue for him obviously is being able to hold up physically over the course of a 16 game schedule. However, it would be good for the Cardinals to re-sign Foote and then add one of the best thumpers in this upcoming draft, such as Benardrick McKinney (6-5, 235, Mississippi St.), Denzel Perryman (6-0, 242, Miami) or Stephone Anthony (6-2, 245, Clemson)---or stay in the Foote mold and draft a swift downhill tackler in Eric Kendricks (6-0, 228, UCLA) or Shaq Thompson (6-2, 225, Washington).

My favorite is McKinney...because I value his leadership skills, his freakish size to speed ratio, his aggressiveness and his versatility (he can be a real force outside as well as inside). Scouts question his coverage ability, but there is no reason why a superior athlete like McKinney can't learn to master the techniques. Check out this thread---with short videos of McKinney:

http://www.battleredblog.com/2015/1...osition-indeed-benardrick-mckinney-linebacker

My second favorite is Perryman because he plays tough and with a mean streak. Funneling the action toward him would be a coup because he can clean everything up with a bang. Not sure if he can be a three down player, but how many thumpers are? Here's a short highlight video of Perryman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beChRWODiSI

I like Stephone Anthony as well---he's a well-built, decisive, run through the ball carrier type of tackler. Check this highlight video of Stephone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRcYu-RD68Q

In FA---Brandon Spikes (6-2, 255, 6, Florida) is a classic thumper, if the team wants to address the need before the draft in order to open up its options. Patriots' highlights of Spikes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFskYtAJbNA

On the outside---the emphasis is on setting and controlling not only the edge but containing the pocket.

Bishops:

Matt Shaughnessy---classic edge setter. It will be good to get him back to full strength.

Alex Okafor---really came on in his second year---shows the strength, discipline and sack artist abaility.

Classic FA fits: Jason Worilds (6-2, 262, 6, Virgina Tech), Jabaal Sheard (6-2, 264, 5, Pittsburgh), Derrick Morgan (6-3, 271, 6, georgia Tech), Brooks Reed (6-3, 254, Arizona) and as a bargain FA Dan Skuta (6-2, 250, 7, Grand Valley St.).

On the perimeter and deep middle the emphasis is on athleticism, anticipation and breaking on the ball.

Knights:

Patrick Peterson should be very well motivated to dominate the way he can this year. Has all it takes when his technique is right.

Jerraud Powers was outstanding as the slot/nickel CB where he shows outstanding technique, anticipation and ball awareness. His versatility is also a plus.

Justin Bethel, like Peterson, has all the physical gifts, but needs to hone his techniques and feel for the position. Good tackling ability a real plus.

Rashad Johnson, as stated earlier, is a savvy QB back there at FS. What he lacks for in blinding speed, he makes up for in anticipation, quick reads and break on the ball abilities

While it would seem unlikely that the Cardinals will be able to re-sign CB Antonio Cromartie, perhaps the Cardinals will ink a deal with one of these good FA CBs: Buster Skrine (5-9, 185, 5, Chattanooga), Davon House (6-1, 195, 5, New Mexico St.), Kareem Jackson (5-10, 188, 6, Alabama), Patrick Robinson (5-11, 191, 6, Florida St.), Byron Maxwell (6-1, 207, 5, Clemson) or Chris Culliver (6-0, 199, 5, South Carolina).

Maybe Rashad Johnson could sway his 'Bama teammate Kareem Jackson to join the Cardinals---if the Cardinals can afford him and if Jackson isn't tagged. Stealing Maxwell or Culliver away from a division rival is a bonus.

The Cardinals want to add speed---but not at the expense of losing toughness and good, sound, tackling ability. Steve Keim loves to draft and sign playmakers. It should be very interesting to see which ones will be dressed in Cardinals' white, red and black when the chess board is set and clock starts.

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
so...you think Honey Badger and Cannon are queens,....................

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldn't say that after being inactive the majority of the season while we were starting waiver wire additions, that Martin is very intriguing. Minter and Campbell didn't play defense their rookie years but they dressed and played ST's.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I think the 'thumper ILB" is going the way of the FB in that they are being phased out. Teams are going more for sideline to sideline tackling machines in the middle. The best ILB's in the game today are Keuchly, Willis and Bowman(when healthy), Laurainaitis, Bobby Wagner, Jamie Collins and they aren't thumpers by any means. Rather, they are athletic guys who can make tackles all over the field and big enough to fill the gaps in the middle of the run game.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I wouldn't say that after being inactive the majority of the season while we were starting waiver wire additions, that Martin is very intriguing. Minter and Campbell didn't play defense their rookie years but they dressed and played ST's.

I think Kareem Martin has some pass rush ability and the hope is that like Okafor he will start to show that ability. Martin sure has the coaching to help him develop. At UNC it took a couple of years to develop his pass rush---it may take a couple of years in the NFL as well.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Kareem Martin has some pass rush ability and the hope is that like Okafor he will start to show that ability. Martin sure has the coaching to help him develop. At UNC it took a couple of years to develop his pass rush---it may take a couple of years in the NFL as well.

also campbell in his rookie season was invisible

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I think the 'thumper ILB" is going the way of the FB in that they are being phased out. Teams are going more for sideline to sideline tackling machines in the middle. The best ILB's in the game today are Keuchly, Willis and Bowman(when healthy), Laurainaitis, Bobby Wagner, Jamie Collins and they aren't thumpers by any means. Rather, they are athletic guys who can make tackles all over the field and big enough to fill the gaps in the middle of the run game.

I was thinking the same until MJ revealed that per his sources the Cardinals wanted a real thumper in the middle---and then when I started to think of what it requires to take on the likes of Frank Gore and Marshawn Lynch, I can see why they want a punishing tackler in the middle.

Having spent several hours watching prospects like Eric Kendricks, Paul Dawson, Kwon Alexander, etc.---you love the speed but you also see how overpowered they can be.

Another versatile LB I think would fit what the Cardinals want is Lorenzo Mauldin (6-4, 243, Louisville) who can play inside and outside. I really think they liked Dansby's size and athleticism at the WILB position. Players like McKinney, Mauldin and Bud Dupree (6-4, 264, Kentucky)---who bring that combination of size, toughness and athleticism look NFL ready---whereas smaller, speed guys look like they will need some time to assimilate.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was thinking the same until MJ revealed that per his sources the Cardinals wanted a real thumper in the middle---and then when I started to think of what it requires to take on the likes of Frank Gore and Marshawn Lynch, I can see why they want a punishing tackler in the middle.

Having spent several hours watching prospects like Eric Kendricks, Paul Dawson, Kwon Alexander, etc.---you love the speed but you also see how overpowered they can be.

Another versatile LB I think would fit what the Cardinals want is Lorenzo Mauldin (6-4, 243, Louisville) who can play inside and outside. I really think they liked Dansby's size and athleticism at the WILB position. Players like McKinney, Mauldin and Bud Dupree (6-4, 264, Kentucky)---who bring that combination of size, toughness and athleticism look NFL ready---whereas smaller, speed guys look like they will need some time to assimilate.

i m with you on this

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
How about a guy like this for ILB:
From NFL.COM:
Attacks blocks with extension and hand use. Very good feel in trash, subtle moves to weave through bodies and recognize run, gets to the ball carrier before teammates despite starting from the opposite side of the formation. not afraid to make contact with lead blocker between the tackles, keeps outside arm free to scrape off to running back. Takes very good angles and lines. Stops momentum of blockers, rolls into them with an anchor to not lose ground. Finishes off tackles very well. Fights as a blitzer, good motor, attempts to run through or get around contact. Sniffs out screens. When the play is visibly in from of him, the click and close can happen very quickly. Looks very comfortable when using hands to work through blockers. Has just enough speed to undercut blocks and make tackles for loss. Remained on the field in nickel packages.

That is the scouting report for Kevin Minter entering the draft. He needs to step up and be the thumper/run stopping force they drafted him to be.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
From NFL.COM:
Attacks blocks with extension and hand use. Very good feel in trash, subtle moves to weave through bodies and recognize run, gets to the ball carrier before teammates despite starting from the opposite side of the formation. not afraid to make contact with lead blocker between the tackles, keeps outside arm free to scrape off to running back. Takes very good angles and lines. Stops momentum of blockers, rolls into them with an anchor to not lose ground. Finishes off tackles very well. Fights as a blitzer, good motor, attempts to run through or get around contact. Sniffs out screens. When the play is visibly in from of him, the click and close can happen very quickly. Looks very comfortable when using hands to work through blockers. Has just enough speed to undercut blocks and make tackles for loss. Remained on the field in nickel packages.

That is the scouting report for Kevin Minter entering the draft. He needs to step up and be the thumper/run stopping force they drafted him to be.

We need to attack the Beast Mode with a Beast Mode DLine and ILB---and thus far Minter has been a Least Mode ILB, which is why the Cardinals are saying they are looking for a "thumper' at ILB.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Not that we can count on him but Mitch would you put an eligible Washington in the Queen category?

The silence on D-Wash's status is deafening. He should not only be indicted for assault, but for grand theft as well. The thought of him sitting on $5M on exile while his teammates are busting their butts is confounding.

But, yes, when at his best, Washington can me moved around and used as an immediate blitzing threat, as a supreme chaser and spy and as a cover LB.

However, even if he does make it back to the field---what will he look like after missing a year and a half? How hard is he training? How badly does he want to atone for his egregious violations of team and league policies?

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We need to attack the Beast Mode with a Beast Mode DLine and ILB---and thus far Minter has been a Least Mode ILB,
Yep
However, even if he does make it back to the field---what will he look like after missing a year and a half? How hard is he training? How badly does he want to atone for his egregious violations of team and league policies?
All good questions. If he's not in shape how can we even plan on using him when he comes back? Is the team monitoring him? Even if he is in good shape will his reactions still be sharp after not playing in so long?

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Yep

All good questions. If he's not in shape how can we even plan on using him when he comes back? Is the team monitoring him? Even if he is in good shape will his reactions still be sharp after not playing in so long?

Many times a player who has missed time loses his body hardness and his stamina---and then when he does try to play like he always had previously, he gets hurt.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The silence on D-Wash's status is deafening. He should not only be indicted for assault, but for grand theft as well. The thought of him sitting on $5M on exile while his teammates are busting their butts is confounding.

Fwiw, I'm pretty sure he didn't get paid this year. When players are suspended for an entire season, it's treated as though the year didn't happen. They don't get paid and their contract is pushed back another year. I don't remember the details of his but with the cap going up and contract prices following suit, this could've been financially beneficial to us in the long run if he can come back, play well and not be a degenerate.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Fwiw, I'm pretty sure he didn't get paid this year. When players are suspended for an entire season, it's treated as though the year didn't happen. They don't get paid and their contract is pushed back another year. I don't remember the details of his but with the cap going up and contract prices following suit, this could've been financially beneficial to us in the long run if he can come back, play well and not be a degenerate.

I read that he received $5M before the suspension and that the second $5M is due to be paid this year. If what I heard was incorrect, please give us the facts.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
so....what are your thoughts on Hardy??...he should be available,...awesome talent..... but he comes from the smackahoe tribe too apparently....

if we sign him...maybe we can set it up so that he and dweed have the same P.O.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
From NFL.COM:

The biggest difference between NFL and College players is in the head. So far, Minter hasn't shown the head for the pro game, and it is somewhat doubtful that he ever will.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Mitch, I am right there with you on this one. Having the versatility of players like Matthieu and Buchannan, is exactly why I am touting the signing of Justin Durant if the Cowboys don't resign him. He can play both inside or outside, and can rush, or set the edge, or even cover from the middle. He is a savvy veteran who can start or be a very significant rotational player in several positions. He would be a very good compliment to Rucker and Okafor on the outside, as well as a stalwart in the middle who can chase, mirror, and cover.

You are right about the key this year being able to set a hard edge so as to funnel the play back inside where the cleanup guys hang out. The more versatility that you can get for each position, gives the DC more leverage in applying surprise to the scheme. This could be a fantastic year to see out Line Backing Corps come into its own. I am stoked for what might be coming this season.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn