Vernon Davis TE the Card pick at #10

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK this is not original in fact someone else (Perhaps John H ?) suggested this on the board several weeks ago. My response was that Denny has never picked a TE in the first round and even though he goes BPA he would not draft a TE. However I have read several reports from different draft gurus since Davis has declared. Kiper (whom we all love:D ) has said he is a phenominal receiver and a better prospect than Kellan Winslow Jr, and has put him on his top 10 board. A draft analyst (Pete Fuitak) from the Great Blue North says he is the best TE by far and a field stretching receiver playing tight end. I also read another report that he is the best TE prospect in the last 25 years!!
If the Cards fix the OL and RB red zone problem in free agency just think about the passing attack with Boldin, Fitzgerald and Davis getting passes from Warner. It would be a nightmare for defenses. Additionally Rowen knows how to use a gifted TE as Gonzales was his development project in KC.
Bottom line is that Veron Davis may be by far the best available player at #10 and too good to pass up. He could be an exciting pick!

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
If he is anything like Gates in San Diego....sign him up. Not the prototypical type top 10 pick but could really make a differance on our club. But fix the Oline first and Dline thru FA.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
az jam said:
OK this is not original in fact someone else (Perhaps John H ?) suggested this on the board several weeks ago. My response was that Denny has never picked a TE in the first round and even though he goes BPA he would not draft a TE. However I have read several reports from different draft gurus since Davis has declared. Kiper (whom we all love:D ) has said he is a phenominal receiver and a better prospect than Kellan Winslow Jr, and has put him on his top 10 board. A draft analyst (Pete Fuitak) from the Great Blue North says he is the best TE by far and a field stretching receiver playing tight end. I also read another report that he is the best TE prospect in the last 25 years!!
If the Cards fix the OL and RB red zone problem in free agency just think about the passing attack with Boldin, Fitzgerald and Davis getting passes from Warner. It would be a nightmare for defenses. Additionally Rowen knows how to use a gifted TE as Gonzales was his development project in KC.
Bottom line is that Veron Davis may be by far the best available player at #10 and too good to pass up. He could be an exciting pick!

I think it would be an excellent pick, TE is a very underrated position mostly because only a select few are good at it. When you have a good one it really puts the defense behind the 8ball.

It would solve a ton of our red zone problems and Warner with a 3 WR set and a TE who can catch? Your sack problems would melt away cause the TE would be open on a lot of quick hitting plays to slow the rush down.

I wouldn't have any problem with it at all.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Davis is a freak athlete,but his 3 year career consists of 82 catches for 9 TD's. 16 YPC as a soph, 17 YPC this year(on 51 catches pretty amazing for a TE). He's fast, and a weight room star ala Merriman. He's a special athlete just not yet a particularly polished receiver.

Lewis had 126 catches and 21 td's in his 4 years, lot more experience and polish but about 12.5 YPC his last 3 years, not as fast as Davis.

Davis will clearly be the first TE taken he's just so athletic, I'm just not yet convinced Green will take a TE that high. Would be awfully scary with a TE that fast and our WR's. He's definitely on the list of guys we should look at.

Toro

Registered
Reaction score
I would hate to see a TE at #10. We alread have enough money tied up in our receivers.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
az jam said:
I have read several reports from different draft gurus since Davis has declared. Kiper (whom we all love:D ) has said he is a phenominal receiver and a better prospect than Kellan Winslow Jr, and has put him on his top 10 board. A draft analyst (Pete Fuitak) from the Great Blue North says he is the best TE by far and a field stretching receiver playing tight end. I also read another report that he is the best TE prospect in the last 25 years!!
Who cares? Have you seen him play?

;)

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
My head would explode if we picked a TE that high. How many catches are there to go around?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Wasn't Denny going to draft KW3 two years ago it Sean Taylor and Fitz were off the board? Somehow I remember hearing that.

One thing that I'd be concerned about is how willing and able a blocker Davis actually is. What made KW3 such a great prospect was that he had as much passion for blocking as he did for catching passes (because he's a soldier, remember). I'm guessing that scouts are excited about Davis more as a pass catcher, which doesn't get me as excited as it might others.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
The more i think about it, the more i like this pick.But not at the expense of passing on Lendale White. The TE position does need upgraded. I know Bergen had some catches at the end of the year but he more suited for a backup role. You can't really compare the talent level between Bergen and Davis. A true downfield threat aTE would potentially make us the number 1 passing offense in the NFL :D . But really, how would you defend the pass with a true TE threat. There's not enough DB's in the game. Plus our OC is a TE coach and look how Gonzales' production fell off this year after Rowen left. He still had a nice year but was the dominating guy he was in the past.

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cbus cardsfan said:
The more i think about it, the more i like this pick.But not at the expense of passing on Lendale White. The TE position does need upgraded. I know Bergen had some catches at the end of the year but he more suited for a backup role. You can't really compare the talent level between Bergen and Davis. A true downfield threat aTE would potentially make us the number 1 passing offense in the NFL :D . But really, how would you defend the pass with a true TE threat. There's not enough DB's in the game. Plus our OC is a TE coach and look how Gonzales' production fell off this year after Rowen left. He still had a nice year but was the dominating guy he was in the past.

My first choice would also be LenDale White if he has a good pro day workout. I'm also concerned that if he does(have a good pro day workout) he could go before #10. I would still like the Cards be able to draft a potential impact player. Davis could be that. But I also stated that the OL must be fixed in free agecny and we MUST acquire a back that can score in the red zone and move the chains on short yardage situations. Davis however could be a real jewel.

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Who cares? Have you seen him play?

;)

"Who cares?" What kind of a comment is that??

No, I haven't seen him play as I don't recall Maryland games being on any TV games here in Phoenix, Perhaps others have seen him play. I'm basically going on what I've read. The other comment on him is that he has really excelled given that Maryland has not had a solid qb.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
az jam said:
"Who cares?" What kind of a comment is that??

No, I haven't seen him play as I don't recall Maryland games being on any TV games here in Phoenix, Perhaps others have seen him play. I'm basically going on what I've read. The other comment on him is that he has really excelled given that Maryland has not had a solid qb.

You took it the wrong way. He was being sarcastic based on another long drawn out thread about a week ago about Cutler.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Redsz said:
My head would explode if we picked a TE that high. How many catches are there to go around?

A Legit threat at TE does more then just catching a lot of footballs. he adds another dimension to the red zone, it clears out a LB or Safety from stacking the box, it clears out the middle of the field making crossing patterns that much easier for an already great WR tandem, ect, ect...... But he still doesnt protect a RB or run in the redzone.

I will say as of right now that pick doesnt look all that great to me or a lot of other people. But after FA, and if Denny says he is going to fix the OL via FA like he said he was, and the addition of other FA's with our 30 mill cap space, this could be a good pick to make, although I know nothing about any single TE in this draft say I cant say anything about his skill set.

Big Deal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If we start handing the ball of to Anquan out of the backfield in the redzone, then having a big time TE an larry who can jump over anyone, then I can't understand how we would score TDs all over the place.

nurnay

whatever
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
A Legit threat at TE does more then just catching a lot of footballs. he adds another dimension to the red zone, it clears out a LB or Safety from stacking the box, it clears out the middle of the field making crossing patterns that much easier for an already great WR tandem, ect, ect...... But he still doesnt protect a RB or run in the redzone.

Great point here. And I'd like to know how well he blocks. We really don't need a constant receiving threat TE like Gonzalez or Sharpe, considering our WR corps, but to have a guy that could block really well and be reliable when we need him to catch would be great. Spending a #10 pick seems a bit high to me. Wasn't Gates undrafted? I'm sure we could find a solid TE without wasting our first pick.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
As a Terrapin alumni, I've watched Vernon Davis Jr. and listened to family and friends praise him. This guy owns almost every record in the weight room at Byrd Stadium. I think he will be very productive at the next level.

However, he does not run the ball or stop the run. I'm a huge fan of Denny's "Best Available Player" draft strategy, mainly because we had so many holes. This year we need to address those two weaknesses.

One other thing bothers me. There was talk around College Park that Vernon Davis Jr. concentrates more on perfecting his body than perfecting his football skills and playbook knowledge. (this brings back memories of DB)

HooverDam

Reaction score
We have more pressing problems right now. We can wait to upgrade TE for a little while, I'd love to get "The Truth" From ASU (soon to be known as TE U) when he comes out in a few years.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Wasn't Denny going to draft KW3 two years ago it Sean Taylor and Fitz were off the board? Somehow I remember hearing that.

Green stated in an interview that when they got on the clock with the 3rd pick the top 3 on their draft board were Fitz, TAylor and Winslow - in that order. (Meaning Manning and Gallery could have been in the original top 3)

If and only if we sign two studs like Corey Simon and Bentley would I appraise a TE at #10. We still have too many holes to fill before picking up a "luxury" pick like that.

Last edited:

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
az jam said:

It was me. I can't get any respect. :D How easily they forget. Davis is the Hulk with great hands. Screw defense. Offense sells tickets.Weapons. We need weapons.

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
wallyburger said:
It was me. I can't get any respect. :D How easily they forget. Davis is the Hulk with great hands. Screw defense. Offense sells tickets.Weapons. We need weapons.

My apologies!!!! I was too lazy to go back and look through all the old message threads. You were ahead of all the draft guru's. Kiper most likely read your report here and thought that if Wallyburger likes this guy well he must be good and worthy of his top ten!!!:thumbup:

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
He will likely be on the board and would definitely be a consideration. The problems, however, are several. Here are a couple. First, tight ends are notoriously hard to predict, though recent selections have been somewhat better. I'll admit, Davis looks like the real deal. Second, the Cards have to address both lines or they can have all the skilled players they want and still go nowhere. If free agency accomplishes this, then I'm okay with Davis. It's early, but the current board looks to me like you get an O-lineman in round one and an anchor tackle in round two. Though they might be thinking Ngata if he were still on the board in round one. The O-linemen all have one drawback or another, but the talent makes the choice worthwhile. It would not shock me if the Cards went down a few picks and picked up another choice. This is a very good draft to have picks. A safety is another possibility in round two, but not at all likely in round one as some have said. The Cards are fortunate that this draft is deep in their area of needs. People keep talking about the "best athlete available" but expect them to take the best athlete at a position of need, since the still have numerous holes.