Vazquez Trade May Be Completed Soon/Lo Duca Rumors

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Vazquez trade may be completed soon

Bob McManaman
The Arizona Republic
Nov. 22, 2005 12:00 AM Trades talks involving pitcher Javier Vazquez have been heating up and the Diamondbacks are close to facilitating the right-hander's request to be dealt to a club closer to the East Coast.

"We've talked to a number of clubs, and we know where things stand," Diamondbacks General Manager Josh Byrnes said Monday, "so it's very possible something could happen before or during the winter meetings (which begin Dec. 5 in Dallas)."

Vazquez has submitted to the Diamondbacks his list of the six teams to which he would nix a trade, and according to industry sources and media reports, Philadelphia, Texas, Colorado and Seattle are on the list.

Lo Duca interest

Marlins catcher Paul Lo Duca, whom the Diamondbacks tried to acquire two years ago when Randy Johnson almost was dealt to the Dodgers, has said he would be interested in playing for Arizona and trade talks might be in the works.

Lo Duca fits the role the Diamondbacks have in mind for upgrading the catcher position, and the club could steer his $6 million salary into the budget with the Vazquez trade and other moves the front office plans to make.

Lo Duca attended Glendale Apollo High and Arizona State.

Front office hire?

Byrnes' next hire likely will be a director of player development, and two top candidates are rumored to be former ASU catcher Luis Medina, who has spent the past several seasons as a special assistant with the Royals, and Ross Atkins, the director of Latin America operations for the Cleveland Indians.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what to think about this. He's getting old, makes too much $$$ and is coming off his worst year in the bigs. He is from here and coming to AZ could revitalize his career. You never know. The positive on Lo Duca is that he plays unbelievable in BOB, he is a great leader in the clubhouse, and he wants to destroy LA everytime he plays them. I would rather us sign Hernandez and trade Javy to FLA for either Pierre (which looks like is not going to happen AT ALL) or some of their pitching prospects. Their farm system is loaded with great arms. They used their first 6 draft picks in last years draft on pitchers (two 1st rounders) and they just got two great pitching prospects from Boston. You never know, one of those prospects might be included with Lo Duca in the Javy trade. Byrnes knows those prospects very well and could have had FLA trade for one of them to finish this deal.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If we're going to trade him to the Marlins I would get prospects and Pierre and go after Ramon Hernandez. He is younger and had a better year than Lo Duca last year.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
overseascardfan said:
If we're going to trade him to the Marlins I would get prospects and Pierre and go after Ramon Hernandez. He is younger and had a better year than Lo Duca last year.

I'm the driver of the Juan Pierre to Arizona bandwagon, but every day that passes, the less confident I feel about him winding up here.

OP
OP
The Commish

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
I would put money on him being sent to Florida for Lo Duca and prospects. I don't think Pierre will be involved either unless we involve someone else in the deal.

Here's what I would like to see happen.

Arizona sends:

Vasquez
Santos
+other mid-level prospects
+cash

Florida sends:

LoDuca
Pierre (it's not gonna happen)

I doubt this happens, but I think this could be a good deal for both sides. Then again, who knows.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LoDuca would certainly be an upgrade, but there are far better uses for $6M. By trading Vazquez, an already bad pitching staff will be in shambles, and we all know about the shape of the bullpen. I would much rather see the money go to improving those aspects than to upgrading the cather position. I hope the team steers clear of trading for him.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
RedStripe27 said:
I would put money on him being sent to Florida for Lo Duca and prospects. I don't think Pierre will be involved either unless we involve someone else in the deal.

Arizona sends:

Vasquez
Santos
+cash

Florida sends:

LoDuca

I doubt this happens, but I think this could be a good deal for both sides. Then again, who knows.

Great deal. Florida gets their DP combo of the future (or until they get too good and are traded), Arizona gets a catcher and CF/speed demon on the basepaths.

Only way I see that happening in full force however is if a third team is brought in.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
overseascardfan said:

That wouold be the IDEAL situation. I'm with ya there. However, I think FLA is going to hang onto Pierre because he's not that expensive. I still think Byrnes should go after Pierre heavily and use the pitch that Pierre's gonna leave via FA next offseason plus they get Javy. We really need a CF and a leadoff hitter

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Snake said:
I'm the driver of the Juan Pierre to Arizona bandwagon, but every day that passes, the less confident I feel about him winding up here.

No ****. So many people disagree with us on Pierre and I dont understand. Don't think its gonna happen but I'm holding out hope..........

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
RedStripe27 said:

Arizona sends:

Vasquez
Santos
+cash

Florida sends:

LoDuca

AZ sends

Javy
Terrero
Santos (not needed anymore: Drew and Upton)
some cash

Fla sends

Pierre
Lo Duca
1 pitching prospect

OP
OP
The Commish

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
AZ sends

Javy
Terrero
some cash

Fla sends

Pierre
Lo Duca
1 pitching prospect

That works too.

In regards to Ramon Hernandez I am all for him but at what price?

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
RedStripe27 said:
That works too.

In regards to Ramon Hernandez I am all for him but at what price?

I started a thread in regards to the Mariners signing Japanese catcher Johjito. He signed a 3 year, 16 mill dollar deal with incentive bonuses. Hernandez will use that deal as his base starting contract, maybe higher. He'll get away with that because he's an established MLB catcher where as Johjito is not. Also, it looks like the Mets are going to sign Benji Molina soon. IMO, if Byrnes really wants Hernandez he should start making offers to him now. If we wait till the Mets sign Molina, which will most likely be a high $$ contract ( he is the most coveted FA catcher), Hernandez' demands will go higher. However, Hernandez might wait till after the Mets sign Molina for that very reason. The other factor is the Baltimore O's. They are also persuing Hernandez and have more spending power than us. Overall, I bet Hernandez will look for a 4 year deal worth about 20-25 mill, prob higher (around 6 per year). I might be way off on that but who knows what can happen when this turns into a bidding war between us and Balt.

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
Ramon Hernandez won't be a Diamondback. My guess is Baltimore gives him a 3 year, $20 million dollar deal.

I've always been a fan of LoDuca and would love to see him and Pierre in DBacks uni's. Terrero, Javy, Santos and small amount of cash for LoDuca and Pierre works for me.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Phill11 said:
Ramon Hernandez won't be a Diamondback. My guess is Baltimore gives him a 3 year, $20 million dollar deal.

I've always been a fan of LoDuca and would love to see him and Pierre in DBacks uni's. Terrero, Javy, Santos and small amount of cash for LoDuca and Pierre works for me.

I agree. I think Byrnes is getting wet feet with Hernandez. Either he thinks he'll be too expensive now that Baltimore's in the picture or he simply thinks that he's not worth it. I like Lo duca as well but thats cause I'm a homer. He's a valley resident and played at ASU. However, he is getting old, is expensive, is shaky behind the plate, and is coming off the worst year of his career. Coming back to AZ could revitalize his career. He is a gamer and is a great leader in the clubhouse. Maybe he could teach Snyder a thing or two. I'm only for this trade if we get Pierre as well. I do think that Byrnes had the Marlins get those pitching prospects in that Boston trade to send to us in the Javy trade. Byrnes obviously knows those prospects very well from his days in Boston. I bet it will be Lo Duca, Anibal Sanchez and/or Jesus Delgado for Javy. Who knows :shrug:

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
AZ sends

Javy
Terrero
some cash

Fla sends

Pierre
Lo Duca
1 pitching prospect

I like the idea of the trade but its not happening. The reason that they made the trade with Beckett was to get rid of high salaries. They aren't going to take a Vazquez's high contract in return, they're trying to cut payroll

If the Marlins trade with us it will either not include Vazquez all together or it will include a 3rd team

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
AZ sends

Javy
Terrero
some cash

Fla sends

Pierre
Lo Duca
1 pitching prospect

1 pitching prospect?
Olson, Vargas, who else do they have?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
AZ sends

Javy
Terrero
some cash

Fla sends

Pierre
Lo Duca
1 pitching prospect

Worst idea ever. We could just platoon Stinnett and Snyder and get more production out of the catchers position at less than half the cost of Lo Duca. Pierre is so overrated on this board even when he was producing and his sudden decline in ability could be a steroid issue. If Byrnes is in charge, we'll load up on prospects or young guys we can control for the next few years and not overpaid vets.

Last edited:

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Worst idea ever. We could just platoon Stinnett and Snyder and get more production out of the catchers position at less than half the cost of Lo Duca. Pierre is so overrated on this board even when he was producing and his sudden decline in ability could be a steroid issue. If Byrnes is in charge, we'll load up on prospects or young guys we can control for the next few years and not overpaid vets.

I agree for the most part on Lo Duca. However, he's an upgrade over any catcher on our team (but not worth the money). Snyder might be good defensivley but he can't a little league pitcher. I can't disagree with you more on Pierre. We're most likely not gonna get him but I don't understand why you wouldn't want him here???? We need a CF and a leadoff hitter and he knocks out both needs. He's one of the best baserunners and we all know how heavily Melvin relies on manufacturing runs. He's only 28 and will make 3.5 mill next year, far from a "overpaid vet." Steriods???? The guy weighs 150 lbs and I didn't see his physique change from last year. If your saying he took them for speed, he stole 50+ bases and had close to 100 runs. If your asking me, he's a prototypical leadoff hitter with great speed and would be a HUGE addition to this team.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
I agree for the most part on Lo Duca. However, he's an upgrade over any catcher on our team (but not worth the money). Snyder might be good defensivley but he can't a little league pitcher. I can't disagree with you more on Pierre. We're most likely not gonna get him but I don't understand why you wouldn't want him here???? We need a CF and a leadoff hitter and he knocks out both needs. He's one of the best baserunners and we all know how heavily Melvin relies on manufacturing runs. He's only 28 and will make 3.5 mill next year, far from a "overpaid vet." Steriods???? The guy weighs 150 lbs and I didn't see his physique change from last year. If your saying he took them for speed, he stole 50+ bases and had close to 100 runs. If your asking me, he's a prototypical leadoff hitter with great speed and would be a HUGE addition to this team.
Of course Lo Duca would be the best catcher on this team, but that isn't saying much when he's being compared to Hill, Snyder, and Stinnett. Fact remains that the previous three make around $1 million combined and will play 162 games while Lo Duca makes $6.5 and will only play around 130. And you could probabky get similar production out of the previous three as you could Lo Duca if you platoon them to their strengths.

And while Pierre is okay, his production seriously dropped last year and his only real asset is speed. And I just don't see why we should put such an emphasis on speed playing 81 games in BOB (which is also why I think Melvin's attempts at run manufacturing are stupid). If this team is going to win this year it needs to focus on pitching and getting better defensively, neither of which applies to Pierre but would have applied to Mike Cameron.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Agreed on all points, Mao.
And if I hear the "Hometown" thing coming out of Byrne's mouth at any time, in terms of player acquisition, I'll be extremely disappointed. Like anyone in Arizona gives a flying cowpie. There isn't the kind of history around here that where someone lives or went to school matters - is it supposed to make up for some sense of fan inferiority? He likes us, he really really likes us? :rolleyes:

If they pick up Pierre or LoDuca, it says that the old FO still is running the show, and I got hoodwinked into renewing my season tix.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
I agree on Lo Duca. I don't want to waste money on him. However, Pierre would be great. We can't find a middle ground on this and I respect your opinion. I just think he'll be the great leadoff hitter that we've never had. We can move Counsell to the 2 spot which is where he belongs. While he has a below avg arm, he covers a lot of ground in a spacious BOB center field.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
From ESPN.com
Javier Vazquez Rumblings
So where will Javier Vazquez get traded? Well, it could be nowhere -- because many players who exercise their right to "demand" a trade often have their bluffs called and wind up withdrawing the request. But that's not likely this time. "I think he'll get traded before the winter meetings," predicted one baseball man who has been monitoring Vazquez's situation. "And that's because I'm convinced the Diamondbacks were going to trade him, anyway, because they're trying to free up money. "And if you're asking where, this, to me, has Boston written all over it. Josh Byrnes [who just went from Boston to Arizona as GM] is eminently familiar with the Red Sox system. They need youth and athleticism and pitching. And the Red Sox have all of that throughout their entire system."

- Could this mean Pedroia coming back to the desert??????? I would love that. Maybe we can also squeeze Lester out of them too. Prob not

Last edited:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
From ESPN.com
Javier Vazquez Rumblings
So where will Javier Vazquez get traded? Well, it could be nowhere -- because many players who exercise their right to "demand" a trade often have their bluffs called and wind up withdrawing the request. But that's not likely this time. "I think he'll get traded before the winter meetings," predicted one baseball man who has been monitoring Vazquez's situation. "And that's because I'm convinced the Diamondbacks were going to trade him, anyway, because they're trying to free up money. "And if you're asking where, this, to me, has Boston written all over it. Josh Byrnes [who just went from Boston to Arizona as GM] is eminently familiar with the Red Sox system. They need youth and athleticism and pitching. And the Red Sox have all of that throughout their entire system."

- Could this mean Pedroia coming back to the desert??????? I would love that. Maybe we can also squeeze Lester out of them too. Prob not

I don't know they just got Beckett, but maybe they are still trying to get younger. I doubt they give up Pedroia since they just gave up Ramirez in the Beckett deal. I am hoping for Lester and praying they include Pedroia or Papelpon. What ever happened to Youklis and Shoppach they were suppose to be their can't miss prospects.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Moneyball Youkilis obviously isn't any good. He's a 3B and they proved that they would rather have Mike Lowell. I would do a Javy for Lester straight up

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
Mr. Moneyball Youkilis obviously isn't any good. He's a 3B and they proved that they would rather have Mike Lowell. I would do a Javy for Lester straight up

The Red Sox would never do that trade. We have to be realistic. If they can get a catcher for Javy, I would be happy. This team has absolutely no catchers. Snyder and Hill are not an everyday catcher.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard