What OF gets traded? There is speculation that Miami may be looking for a center fielder....

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Still, Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic wonders about the possibility of the Diamondbacks utilizing this group of outfielders to bolster the rotation over the winter. There are plenty of teams with outfield needs who’d love to acquire a controllable long-term player to step right onto the 2023 roster. Varsho is controlled through 2026, McCarthy through 2027 and both Thomas and Carroll through at least 2028. Speculating a bit, the Marlins are known to still be looking for their center fielder of the future and have plenty of pitching to dangle in talks with the D-backs. Arizona and Miami previously lined up on a Zac Gallen-for-Jazz Chisholm swap that has benefited both clubs, though the Marlins’ front office has turned over a good bit since that time.

Trading from that quartet of outfielders would thin out the Diamondbacks’ outfield depth, quite likely in a significant way, but they do have some other options on the 40-man roster, including the right-handed-hitting Stone Garrett, who’s out to a blistering MLB debut himself after a nice showing in Triple-A. The free-agent market would also present several affordable, short-term options to plug into the outfield mix, and finding a useful complementary outfielder on the open market is quite a bit easier than finding the type of potentially impact arm that a trade of someone like Thomas could bring.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
2 #1's+ Sandy Alcantara for Jake McCarthy. You're welcome.
It's obviously a great problem to have (gluttony of OF prospects). MIA would seem like an ideal trade partner with their depth of starting pitching. The Gallen trade was good for both teams but the last deal with MIA we got short changed for Marte.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Alek Thomas is gone of the choices.
I would think McCarthy is odd man out. He is the oldest and not considered as good defensively as Varsho, Thomas or Carroll.

Unless we can get a #1 starter in exchange I keep him. You don't get rid of him for a back of the rotation guy.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I would think McCarthy is odd man out. He is the oldest and not considered as good defensively as Varsho, Thomas or Carroll.

Unless we can get a #1 starter in exchange I keep him. You don't get rid of him for a back of the rotation guy.
Thomas is so bad offensively that it doesn’t matter. He’s a replacement level player right but. There’s something to be said for selling high on McCarthy but he’s been one of the best hitters in MLB for nearly 3 months. They have options.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alek Thomas is gone of the choices.

He is 22 and an elite defender already. He hits exactly league average right now.

He very much reminds me of Starling Marte with a very similar first year.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thomas is so bad offensively that it doesn’t matter. He’s a replacement level player right but. There’s something to be said for selling high on McCarthy but he’s been one of the best hitters in MLB for nearly 3 months. They have options.

He is 12th in WAR as a rookie despite being the third youngest player on that list. 11th in hits but 12th in At Bats.

You simply don't give up good 6 years of cost control on a rising player when you are a sub 100 million dollar payroll.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
He is 12th in WAR as a rookie despite being the third youngest player on that list. 11th in hits but 12th in At Bats.

You simply don't give up good 6 years of cost control on a rising player when you are a sub 100 million dollar payroll.
The OF all have 5-6 years of control. It comes down to projection and return.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like McCarthy, trade Thomas for pitching.