UofA Better Than ASU

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doba comments create stir at ASU
Comparing a team you're about to play to its rival is not a good idea.
That's why comments by Washington State coach Bill Doba are making the rounds to the appropriate bulletin boards at Arizona State.
Doba is quoted in several Washington newspapers saying that Arizona is more talented than ASU. The exact quote in the Tacoma News Tribune is: "Arizona, I said, is the second or third best team in the conference. I still hold true to that. They are talented -- I think more than the team (ASU) we're facing this week."

The Seattle Times quotes Doba as simply saying Arizona is "probably more talented" than ASU.

UA beat Washington State 48-20 in Tucson to improve to 2-3 overall and 1-1 in the Pac-10. No. 18-ranked ASU is 5-0/2-0.

According to Sagarin rankings, ASU strength of schedule is 76th nationally compared to 41st for UA and 23rd for Washington State (2-3, 0-2). The Cougars have lost to No. 2 USC and No. 5 Wisconsin in addition to the Wildcats.

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/jeffmetcalfe/8102

TheKid_1

Registered
Reaction score
I hope we absolutly pound on WSU now. Beofore I just would have been happy with a win but anything less than a 20 point win is going to piss me off now!

Trey

Registered
Reaction score
Birth to 32, Phoenix. Now, enemy territory.
The exact quote in the Tacoma News Tribune is: "Arizona, I said, is the second or third best team in the conference. I still hold true to that. They are talented -- I think more than the team (ASU) we're facing this week."

There are a lot of dumb things you can say in the week leading up to a football game. This is definitely one of them.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Doba is on the hot seat and will probably be fired soon, perhaps part of the reason is because he clearly has no idea how to evaluate talent.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Erickson and co are well aware of this now as it has been forwarded by boosters directly to the coaches.

This IMO is a great thing for ASU this weekend, there is no chance of them looking ahead of WSU now.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe Doba's a sado-masochist and is begging for a beating.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You could see this coming from a cocky 20 year old LB or RB from that team but the coach???

talk about putting your team in a deeper hole than they could POSSIBLY get out of....

we REALLY need to run up the score on their sorry a sses, if UofAput up 48 on them we should be good for... 63?

realistically 45-17 sounds about right for the game... with 7 of those 17 points coming off a Rudy Carpenter INT....

screw Wazzu St...

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
I think he intention, as poorly construed as it was, was to motivate his players into believing they can win. His team must have a defeatist attitude in the locker room right now and he is trying to do what he can to keep morale up.

That being said, ASU needs to prove a point this weekend - their record isn't a coincidence, they are much better with Erickson and a real contender in the conference.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't believe people got sucked in by this. Whether he intended or not, all it's done is to get ASU fans (and hopefully not ASU coaches and players) thinking about stupid comments rather than Xs and Os. External motivation lasts about 3 minutes of any football game. After that, the team that runs the fastest, blocks the best, tackles the best wins the game.

Anger isn't going to make a player who runs a 4.6 run a 4.4. Ain't physically possible.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
no - but it may get their mind right leading up to the game

it could motivate an opponent to prepare harder and focus more than they normally would for a team that they probably felt they could beat without any extra effort

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the timing of Doba's comments. Thank you, Mr. Doba.

Go Devils. I sense another road thrashing about to happen.

OP
OP
Gee!

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could see this coming from a cocky 20 year old LB or RB from that team but the coach???

talk about putting your team in a deeper hole than they could POSSIBLY get out of....

we REALLY need to run up the score on their sorry a sses, if UofAput up 48 on them we should be good for... 63?

realistically 45-17 sounds about right for the game... with 7 of those 17 points coming off a Rudy Carpenter INT....

screw Wazzu St...

oops :D

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
OP
OP
Gee!

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My cartoon heroes?
Let me remind you who led me to that site all the while touting the virtues of that product.
Perhaps you should look in the mirror and re-evaluate your choice of beverages and what it implies. :D

http://www.kraftfoods.com/koolaid/2001/ka_flavors.html

I didnt lead you to anything.. I was talking bout Otter Pops and you went rainbow up the booty on me OH YA! man..

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Try and justify it however you want.
Bottom line is if we never had that conversation I never would have found our rainbow warrior friend.

OOOOOOOOOOHH YYEEAAHHHHHHHHHH

OP
OP
Gee!

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im ending this convo right now! This is not looking good for either one of us..

Youll thank me later...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson