Tyrann Mathieu: "No way I'm taking a pay cut."

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think they are cutting TM. They may restructure his contract but he ain't going anywhere.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think they are cutting TM. They may restructure his contract but he ain't going anywhere.

It takes two to Tango. TM is not OK with cutting his salary down. He is likely Gonzo

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
they will get him a 4 year deal with more garantees and smaller portion of money per year but more money for TM and that is something he will sign.

All that only if they need the cap for a QB and O-line ILB CB NT WR or so...

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
they will get him a 4 year deal with more garantees and smaller portion of money per year but more money for TM and that is something he will sign.

All that only if they need the cap for a QB and O-line ILB CB NT WR or so...

That would be the best solution. Hope you're right.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Send his overpaid self packing unless he takes monster pay cut.Cards can always find somebody else to chase open WRs a lot cheaper than him.I think its funny how some people here say Teddy Bridgewater is a huge injury risk yet they want to keep Matthieu who is a injury riddled shell of a player.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Send his overpaid self packing unless he takes monster pay cut.Cards can always find somebody else to chase open WRs a lot cheaper than him.I think its funny how some people here say Teddy Bridgewater is a huge injury risk yet they want to keep Matthieu who is a injury riddled shell of a player.

HB has injury issues to be sure. However, from all reports, TB almost lost his leg because of his injury. Big difference.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
HB has injury issues to be sure. However, from all reports, TB almost lost his leg because of his injury. Big difference.
but Tyrann plays a position in which speed is an important factor... Teddy does not...we went to a SB with Kurt,..and an NFC Championship with Carson.... neither of which could outrun the average olineman... hell, Dan Marino played for years when they almost had to wheel him onto the field his knees were so bad.
The biggest issues with Teddy... First; His head...has he mentally gotten over the injury and the fear of getting hit that comes on its tail... Second; can he take an average nfl hit and get back up, or will his leg crumble.... if he can get past those two things then he is not at any greater risk for a leg injury than any other player on the field.
he could be done
He could be Sam Bradford 2.0
or he could play his entire career out without another serious injury.

I guess option 4 would be... he plays without getting seriously hurt, but he is always spooky and never gets back to form or continues developing

any player can have a career ending injury in any game. Teddy does not pose any greater risk than a draft pick... but he wont cost a pick to get

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
You do realize that TB has come back and played a few snaps in a real game.I would mind seeing him in AZ if he passes a extensive physical.He still is only 25 years old and was progressing well as a NFL QB.I think he is worth a shot as a solid caretaker QB.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Regardless of what seems apparent to us, I highly doubt TM is going anywhere, even at his current price. We talk about the Colts possibly wanting to trade Luck or the Vikes wanting to part with TB as a red flag but that works both ways... maybe the Cardinals think that TM can be a impact player again :)

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
If he doesn't willingly restructure, he is gone. There's no chance--0%--that they pay him everything in his current deal. He'll have to negotiate if he wants to stay.

I don't think he would have a problem restructuring that means he gets all of his money. But I would not be surprised if the cards don't just keep eating the bad contract. Really there isn't enough gain in cutting him and then trying to replace him. I also would not be surprised to see him sign a restructured deal that converts his 19 or 20 mil (5 mil bonus and 15 base over the next two years) over to a signing bonus and would lower his cap hit tremendously, by spreading it out over the 4 years he has left. He get 20 mil up front instead of 5 right now, and that is what players covet.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Regardless of what seems apparent to us, I highly doubt TM is going anywhere, even at his current price. We talk about the Colts possibly wanting to trade Luck or the Vikes wanting to part with TB as a red flag but that works both ways... maybe the Cardinals think that TM can be a impact player again :)
thats a possibility.. It used to be a given that an ACL was two years to full recovery. Modern athletes and medical advances has shortened that and gotten us spoiled to fast miraculous recoveries. Tyrann showed flashes towards the end of the season,...maybe he just hasnt gotten back to 100%...its possible

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

I have talked about this too mainly as a joke because his dead cap hit to Indy is 22 mil. I doubt they would want to absorb that.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
thats a possibility.. It used to be a given that an ACL was two years to full recovery. Modern athletes and medical advances has shortened that and gotten us spoiled to fast miraculous recoveries. Tyrann showed flashes towards the end of the season,...maybe he just hasnt gotten back to 100%...its possible

It's a Adrian Peterson affect. The man is simply not human, now we expect everyone to heal like he did.

Last edited:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

We don't really know yet. The Cardinals know more than us, though obviously not a foolproof determination. You have guys like Adrian Peterson who is a freak of nature and can heal faster, but we should not let that warp our approach to an injury where the norm suggests otherwise

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
His knee looks okay here. Nice crossover.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

That was a couple days ago I guess.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I going to assume no news is good news. May be they are working on a restructure. Tic-toc

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It is a PR move...you have to have something to offset the Bradford signing. Just like trading for AP was shaking the keys to distract from the bad season. Restructuring Mathieu distracts from a poor plan to upgrade the QB position.

(I just copied and pasted from another post)

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
If we don't keep him, the Browns want him badly from what I have read. Supposedly, he even stated he would like to play for them.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson