Tyrann Mathieu: "No way I'm taking a pay cut."

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Josh Weinfuss
@joshweinfuss

Tyrann Mathieu to me on if he thinks he'll be in Arizona this time next year: “I hope, but I’ve been in the league long enough to know that it’s a business and it’s not always about what I want.”

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
at the end of the day:

HBs just-terminated contract: would have guaranteed him $10.8mm in 2018 and $8 mm in 2019.

that is really hard to restructure to keep the $ whole for the player, yet, reduce the cap hit

for HB: not sure if the market will deliver nearly $19mm guaranteed over two years -- not sure if the market will deliver half of that (and i mean true guarantees, not agent defined guarantees)

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If he signs with another team, does that, or how does that affect what we owe him and our cap?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
If he signs with another team, does that, or how does that affect what we owe him and our cap?
our cap is what it is... we free up 4.8mil but have 9.3mil in dead money... but if he signs a fat contract like he is expecting I think it qualifies us for a compensatory pick.... but maybe not since he was released and not expired... I dunno... just know we aint giving him $20mil guaranteed over the next 2 years

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Till he comes back twice a year, like Sherman will. Just sayin.

HB doesn't scare me, if he lines up opposite the Cards. Rather the opposite, I would see him as a player for our offense to exploit. If we have a QB and a few guys for him to throw to, and/or a line to protect him, that is.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
Small, injury prone, plays scared. He's not going to be anything I'll be nervous about if we play against him.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I was wrong. I thought for sure they would restructure.

not a lot of motivation for badger to do that.

he might get smaller numbers with another team but it will also come with an up front signing bonus...so he gets his millions this year just like he was planning.

right now money always trumps future money

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's La Canfora, so take it with a grain of salt, but apparently we were willing to go to $9M/year. I'm guessing he'll get at least that somewhere else.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Great story, really good until the injuries set in and a stupid, stupid premature contract by Keim. It was a move that had to be made to save 2 more overpaid years.

Don't blame the player and don't blame the Cards for the decision. Time for him to move on and see if he can have a "change of scenery" comeback. Hope he does, he seems like a good kid.

Good luck HB, wherever you end up.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any takers for TM yet? I can’t think of a team that will pay $9m per year for a DB that is not a safety nor a CB.

NFL network earlier said the Safety market sucks and there were couple other good ones that haven't been sniffed.

dreday

Veteran
Reaction score
Do we get any dead money back if another team picks up his contract?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Do we get any dead money back if another team picks up his contract?
I think that only applies to players waived...if they are claimed on waivers, their contract is still enforced. I may be wrong, though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Any takers for TM yet? I can’t think of a team that will pay $9m per year for a DB that is not a safety nor a CB.
it's going to be an incentivized contract with little guaranteed. i think his agent did him wrong, but we'll see. gambo said other teams were game planning to go after TM, the league knows his value.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard