Tune it up

OP
OP
BirdGangThing

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Bob McManaman weighs in

But here’s the thing: Clayton Tune has to earn his spot on the roster and his place on the depth chart. Gannon can’t and won’t just hand him the starting job. After two preseason games, Tune just hasn’t done enough to warrant a promotion from backup.

He’ll likely get one more chance next Saturday when the Cardinals close out the preseason at the Minnesota Vikings to move the needle. It’s safe to say McCoy won’t play. But if Gannon splits the snaps somewhat equally between Tune, David Blough and Jeff Driskel, McCoy won’t be in any danger of losing the starting job.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How do you develop him the “correct way”?

Only way to develop someone is to play them when they have more potential than someone else.
Yeah, if there was a “correct way” everyone would do it.

I do think McCoy should start the season though because right now, he’s better; plain and simple.

I also think it benefits Tune because hopefully McCoy can last at least two weeks before getting hurt, giving the rest of the offense meaningful game snaps to gel in the system before Tune comes in so they’re able to help the kid a little more than they would against arguably the best Dline in football at Washington week 1.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

I do think McCoy should start the season though because right now, he’s better; plain and simple.

I also think it benefits Tune because hopefully McCoy can last at least two weeks before getting hurt, giving the rest of the offense meaningful game snaps to gel in the system before Tune comes in so they’re able to help the kid a little more than they would against arguably the best Dline in football at Washington week 1.

Did you know the commies are starting Sam Howell against us? wow...

If we could find a way to make him turn it over a couple of times. Steal a win week one... :)

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Solid

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't see a problem with starting McCoy until he gets hurt - which will be week 3 or 4 and then its Tune time.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Both things can be true:

Tune looks promising, especially for a 5th round pick

and

Tune is not close to being ready to start week 1 (if you want a chance to win that game)
This is where I'm at. I'm reading way too much about mechanical problems to get behind him as anything long term...yet.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This is where I'm at. I'm reading way too much about mechanical problems to get behind him as anything long term...yet.
I have to say I'm impressed by his pocket presence, athleticism, and arm, but he needs work on touch and anticipation.

His play has been mostly positive.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bob McManaman weighs in

But here’s the thing: Clayton Tune has to earn his spot on the roster and his place on the depth chart.
IMO, he has already earned his spot on the roster. I don't even think it is close. (especially with Kyler out) This is coming from someone who was 'disappointed' in his Game 1 performance.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Good to hear! Can't help but love an underdog story.
If you watch his Houston tape, there was a lot to like about him as a prospect. He's got some real good natural tools about him and he seems to be smart and competitive. His issue right now is accuracy, but honestly he's not Skelton bad right now, he's just a little off on throws outside the number.

I'm shocked when any late round makes it in the NFL, but I like this guy probably more than any other late round QB the Cardinals have brought in, in a long time.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Did you know the commies are starting Sam Howell against us? wow...

If we could find a way to make him turn it over a couple of times. Steal a win week one... :)
Sam Howell and the commies first team offense has looked deadly in the preseason. Unless we collapse the pocket every other play idk how we are gonna cover McLauren and Dotson

Last edited:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My concern on McCoy is his arm strength or lack of it. All he has done in the preseason games is short pass dumps. There was lots of talk during the off season that he had an injured arm. The Cards covered this up pretty much. Not sure if he should be starting if he can't really zing the ball down field anymore. :shrug:

OP
OP
BirdGangThing

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
the mechanical problems are there, but most concerning to me is that he is late in reads and throws --

he isn't seeing the field at a starting QB level right now --
Word, both himself and Gannon mentioned this directly after the game. But the only way to learn NFL game speed is by playing in NFL games

I'm sorry but every game Colt McCoy starts... I'm counting as a loss. I can't say the same for Tune tho, I think Tune gives us a better shot, as is

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Word, both himself and Gannon mentioned this directly after the game. But the only way to learn NFL game speed is by playing in NFL games

I'm sorry but every game Colt McCoy starts... I'm counting as a loss. I can't say the same for Tune tho, I think Tune gives us a better shot, as is
Colt McCoy is 3-3 as a starter for the Arizona Cardinals. This is an extremely bad take.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree with some of that, which is why I want to see more. I'd like to see Tune run with the first string in the practices in Minnesota and in the game against Minnesota. If he can start better than McCoy has been able to and put us in a position to actually win the game I think we should make the switch
Agreed. What does it hurt? I think pretty clearly Colt will be starting week 1, but it's certainly not conceivable that CT will have to start a game or 2, either by injury or poor play. I'd personally give him the whole first half.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tune is exactly the qb who can surprise and maybe get few w bef kyler returns

I like colt but his gm is very limited i think he would happily accept backup role to let tune develop :)

Make the right choice cards hint hint....

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I get it, and I'm saying we've lost a considerable amount of talent
I agree! I'm not sure how that matters if both Tune and McCoy are playing with the same talent-deficit squad, though. Colt McCoy has won games in the NFL and as an Arizona Cardinal. Clayton Tune is a fifth-round pick from Houston who went 8-5 in the American Conference last season. He put up three points on the road against East Carolina nine months ago.

OP
OP
BirdGangThing

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I agree! I'm not sure how that matters if both Tune and McCoy are playing with the same talent-deficit squad, though. Colt McCoy has won games in the NFL and as an Arizona Cardinal. Clayton Tune is a fifth-round pick from Houston who went 8-5 in the American Conference last season. He put up three points on the road against East Carolina nine months ago.
Agreed, I'm just going with what I've seen in pres-season. 5 yards a completion ain't going to cut it. Give me the gun slinger, give me the boost mobile, give me the picked in the fifth round elemental chip on the shoulder

I understand where folks are coming from but let's not be McCoy about it, how many hits can the old man take before he's coaching again. Word is Colt will sit out against the Vikings and I think it could be the perfect storm for some bangin Tunes to hit the airwaves, could move him up the pop charts like pronto brochacho

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy_Player