Tune it up

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Everybody sees it, whether on the run or in the pocket, Tune is the guy

I'm sure the players love McCoy, not taking any shots at him but if we're playing to win the game it's time we change our Tune. Give Clayton first string reps in the practices against Minnesota and in the game against Minnesota

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Don’t ruin Tune, let him develop the correct way. Yea I see it, he has NFL starting ability, hope Gannon don’t do like Whisenhunt.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I just don't see it. All his throws are way too high, he had one 21 yard completion and a bunch of meh. We don't look better when he's in until its time for the UDFAs to see the field.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don't see it. All his throws are way too high, he had one 21 yard completion and a bunch of meh. We don't look better when he's in until its time for the UDFAs to see the field.

Worse Matt Barkley? I don't see the love at all.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The problem with Tune is his inaccuracy and unfortunately Im not sure Drew's offense is "QB Friendly" yet. Would be tough for rookie.

Worse Matt Barkley? I don't see the love at all.
I think its the mobility and the few big boy throws he makes/attempts that has got some people hyped. He's got other things going for him than Barkley ever had in terms of arm strength and mobility. But throwing him out there before he's ready could have very Drew Lock ish results.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He does have potential, but I see a lot of throws where our WRs have zero separation. Sure there are some errant throws but it’s hard to complete passes where you have to fit a ball into a very tight window a lot because our guys cannot get open.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
How do you develop him the “correct way”?

Only way to develop someone is to play them when they have more potential than someone else.
All backup QBs develop through practice, playing terrible players solely because of their draft status and losing games that way is how coaches lose the locker room. The best backup QBs have been in the league a long time and frankly most of them had a lot more "potential" than Tune.

Tune will get better, but if he starts any regular season games I don't think he will score any touchdowns.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tune is what he is. He is a 5th round QB with a strong arm, ability to scramble, and a bunch of potential to develop.

However he is still a work in progress. To me it's clear that he is still adjusting the game speed of the NFL. He has been late on a couple of throws and has a tendency to throw high when he gets amped up. These things are all correctable but will take time. For now he is the #3 QB on the team behind Murray and McCoy. With a little bit more seasoning he should be a fine #2 QB.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Accuracy is a red flag to me. I am hoping he can develop in a decent backup but McCoy is the least bad option for now.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Everybody sees it, whether on the run or in the pocket, Tune is the guy

I'm sure the players love McCoy, not taking any shots at him but if we're playing to win the game it's time we change our Tune. Give Clayton first string reps in the practices against Minnesota and in the game against Minnesota

Everybody sees what? I mean, he looks pretty pedestrian to me.

He's a gamer, sure. He's got those young legs and that gives him a little advantage over McCoy.

Better arm than McCoy too but McCoy is a veteran who can take the pressure of a meaningful game.

Coming in off the bench in the preseason is not the same as 3 pm on a Sunday in October. When 1st string NFL DBs are trying make sure their families stay fed.

I'm not saying "no", and I like his energy. I'm just saying he doesn't jump off the screen at me. At least not yet.

If we were playing in the Superbowl tomorrow, I am 1000% starting McCoy over Tune.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BirdGangThing

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Everybody sees what? I mean, he looks pretty pedestrian to me.

He's a gamer, sure. He's got those young legs and that gives him a little advantage over McCoy.

Better arm than McCoy too but McCoy is a veteran who can take the pressure of a meaningful game.

Coming in off the bench in the preseason is not the same as 3 pm on a Sunday in October. When 1st sting NFL DBs are trying make sure their families stay fed.

I'm not saying "no", and I like his energy. I'm just saying he doesn't jump off the screen at you. At least not yet.

If we were playing in the Superbowl tomorrow, I am 1000% starting McCoy over Tune.
I agree with some of that, which is why I want to see more. I'd like to see Tune run with the first string in the practices in Minnesota and in the game against Minnesota. If he can start better than McCoy has been able to and put us in a position to actually win the game I think we should make the switch

WiscoBird

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm watching the game right now and a lot of these over throws are due to timing. He hasn't adapted to NFL speed yet. He is making the right reads but is just a little late. All QBs go through this. What's encouraging is his feel for the pocket and pressure. The things he is struggling with are fixable. The stuff he is good at you either have it or you don't. Very pleased with where he is at.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tune going to play during regular season. Does anyone really truly believe McCoy going to stay healthy until K1 gets back???
That all depends on when Murray returns. If Murray is back between games 1-4, which I believe he will, then Petzing will create a game plan that will protect McCoy enough to keep him healthy. If Murray‘s return is somehow slowed down, then Tune will get some playing time. McCoy is a stopgap at BEST.

OP
OP
BirdGangThing

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score

Tune led the Cardinals on their only two scoring drives of the night, coming in after McCoy was in 15 plays and completed 5-of-8 passes for only 25 yards. Tune finished 12-of-24 for 133 yards, along with six rushes for 35 yards. He lost two touchdown passes, one on a penalty and another when Greg Dortch was ruled down at the half-yard line on replay.

Not to mention there were a couple passes dropped on 3rd and 4th downs that would've also extended the drives and added scoring possibilities

OP
OP
BirdGangThing

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Colt McCoy completed 5 passes for 25 yards for an average of 5 yards per catch

Below is the average yards per catch last season by team, where you'll see Arizona at the very bottom with 8.4

You must be registered for see images attach

Clayton Tune completed 12 passes for 133 yards. I went ahead and did the math below. And please note where Tune's yards per catch ranks with other teams above

You must be registered for see images attach

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stbmd