Tune it up

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
This is where I'm at. I'm reading way too much about mechanical problems to get behind him as anything long term...yet.
So much of correcting mechanical QBs is the guy. I’ve seen some guys who got it right away. His correcting to pull up throws on rollouts was new verses last week.
I’m not the only guy who thinks Tune could surprise
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I apologize for the language

The throwing motion is fine. I think the issue about footwork means that he gets on his front foot a little early. This forces him to whip the ball using mostly arm strength. Than can also cause the ball to sail. He just needs to start his arm closer to when he starts his step, not after he’s shifted his weight to his front foot. This will take work, but I’m confident he can get there with repititions.

OP
OP
BirdGangThing

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
So much of correcting mechanical QBs is the guy. I’ve seen some guys who got it right away. His correcting to pull up throws on rollouts was new verses last week.
I’m not the only guy who thinks Tune could surprise
I apologize for the language

The throwing motion is fine. I think the issue about footwork means that he gets on his front foot a little early. This forces him to whip the ball using mostly arm strength. Than can also cause the ball to sail. He just needs to start his arm closer to when he starts his step, not after he’s shifted his weight to his front foot. This will take work, but I’m confident he can get there with repititions.
I think the Chiefs saw Tune being successful and decided to bring pressure. Tune responded with a few good throws, late throws, high throws, late and high throws, and 35 yards rushing

His timing, and as you alluded to, his footwork will have to improve to NFL standards

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Word, both himself and Gannon mentioned this directly after the game. But the only way to learn NFL game speed is by playing in NFL games

I'm sorry but every game Colt McCoy starts... I'm counting as a loss. I can't say the same for Tune tho, I think Tune gives us a better shot, as is

Seriously, what does McCoy's past record as a starter have anything to do with today? Those were different teams with vastly different personnel.
Because, as you can see above, BGT is already counting every McCoy start as a loss. Clayton Tune, the NINTH QUARTERBACK selected in the 2023 draft, is probably not more ready to win an NFL game than a guy who won an NFL game the day after Tune was facing Temple.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
2 to 3 win team with Colt

2 to 3 win team with Tune

If you're looking at it from a "who wins more" perspective, just stop. This team is going to be hot garbage this season.

If you're looking at it from a "let's see what we have in the young buck with no expectations" perspective, then this team will be much more tolerable to watch.

I dont want to watch Colt McCoy ever again

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

If you're looking at it from a "who wins more" perspective, just stop. This team is going to be hot garbage this season.

If you're looking at it from a "let's see what we have in the young buck with no expectations" perspective, then this team will be much more tolerable to watch.

This is fair. I'm probably not going to watch any of these games.

OP
OP
BirdGangThing

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score

Damned if you Tune
Damned if you Colt

OP
OP
BirdGangThing

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Because, as you can see above, BGT is already counting every McCoy start as a loss. Clayton Tune, the NINTH QUARTERBACK selected in the 2023 draft, is probably not more ready to win an NFL game than a guy who won an NFL game the day after Tune was facing Temple.
If this is the scenic route of saying I believe Tune gives us a better chance at winning games we will most likely lose anyways, then yes, I agree

And might I add Tune could even make the games watchable, because I'm with you on the 5 yards per reception being unstomuchable

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If McCoy starts we are going to see 8-9 man fronts which will stifle our run game. More than a couple of hard hits and Tune will be our Qb.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If McCoy starts we are going to see 8-9 man fronts which will stifle our run game. More than a couple of hard hits and Tune will be our Qb.
If our WRs can't beat single coverage it won't matter who's starting at QB.

If no one believes that McCoy can stay healthy, what's the rush to put in Tune?

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Watched all his snaps in week 1, he missed like 4/5 easy throws, accuracy seems a big concern

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
How do you develop him the “correct way”?

Only way to develop someone is to play them when they have more potential than someone else.
Like Denny Greene treated Leinart not like Whisenhunt treated him. Bust his balis every 15 minutes to see how he responds. Build some confidence and success , I would say Aaron rodgers was developed right, Steve young, Eli manning. Earl Morrell.

this isn’t exactly a David Carr situation, but must balance and lean on the run game, not push him into hazard

OP
OP
BirdGangThing

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
People kept talking about the talent gaps between the Chief's and Cardinal's second units - and I agree with most of it - and I think it only adds to the impressiveness

Think about it - Colt had 25 yards passing on 5 completions while Clayton threw to the Tune of 133 yards on only 12 completions

Gannon basically said on Monday that he hasn't announced who the starters for game 1 will be and that he won't until he does - to me his means there is indeed a quarterback competition taking place

I'm calling it now

Clayton Tune will be our starting quarterback on opening day

OP
OP
BirdGangThing

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Not to mention the mobility

IDK if I'm comfortable with a QB leading the team in rushing but with Tune being a 5th round 6'3" 220 pound gamble - freakin' fuhgeddaboudit - it's a great way to alleviate the pressure and those crucial first downs keep the team hype

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I just realized there's one argument that might sway me to want Clayton Tune over Colt McCoy...I think if Tune starts, Murray comes back soon rather than later.