Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stiller's Tropic Thunder Heating Up
Source: Production Weekly
January 12, 2007

Production Weekly reports that Ben Stiller and DreamWorks Pictures are finally moving ahead with Tropic Thunder, which Stiller will direct and star in. Stiller wrote the script with Etan Cohen and Justin Theroux.

Stiller has previously said that the film is "a comedy about five actors who go on location and find themselves relying on their boot camp experiences when they get stuck in a real war-like situation."

The site says that principal photography is scheduled to begin in July.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen the trailer for this a couple of times now and it actually looks funny. I'm desperate for a good comedy and I'm hoping this is it.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea it looks pretty good IMO.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think someone should tell Stiller that wearing a silly headband/wig is not funny.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tropic Thunder

Release Date: August 13, 2008
Studio: DreamWorks Pictures (Paramount)
Director: Ben Stiller
Screenwriter: Ben Stiller, Etan Cohen, Justin Theroux
Genre: Comedy
MPAA Rating: R (for pervasive language including sexual references, violent content and drug material)
Websites: TropicThunder.com | RainofMadness.com | TuggSpeedman.com

Starring: Ben Stiller, Jack Black, Robert Downey Jr., Nick Nolte, Brandon Jackson, Steve Coogan, Danny R. McBride, Bill Hader, Jay Baruchel, Matt Levin, Andrea De Oliveira, Reggie Lee, Matthew McConaughey, Tom Cruise

Plot Summary: Ben Stiller says "Tropic Thunder" is a "a comedy about five actors who go on location and find themselves relying on their boot camp experiences when they get stuck in a real war-like situation." Black will play Jeff "Fats" Portnoy, an overweight gross-out comedian, who's forced to kick his drug addiction while filming on location in the jungle. Downey Jr. will play Kirk Lazarus, the greatest actor of his generation and a four-time Oscar winner. Baruchel will play Kevin Sandusky, an unknown actor on the set and Stiller plays Speedman.

You must be registered for see images

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This movie is supposed to be incredibly funny. Anyone seen it yet?

If it is, then the trailers don't do this movie any justice. They look horrible.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went and saw it this afternoon with high expectations. I must say it didn't quite meet those lofty expectations. At times it was flat. Yet there were times where it was funny. I did find it refresting that it was truely an original comedy and not some cookie cutter comdey. The movie itself can be summed up as a satire towards the Mega Hollywood industry and it's attempt to make a war movie with a film crew that knows nothing about war.

With that said, Robert Downey Jr was fantastic. Lots of camios from other big name stars. Great Visuals. However as a comedy I'd say for me it was average to slightly above average. Overall I'd give it a grade of B-.

Last edited:

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
would like to see it on dvd eventually. Heard a commercial for it today; sounded funny, and I love Stiller.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This movie was fantastically funny IMO. RDJ was fantastic as was TOM CRUISE!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard