Tropic Thunder

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Watched this again last night. The 2nd half of this movie is some of the funniest stuff I've seen in a long time.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when I first saw this in the theaters I thought "solid comedy. nothing great, but all around solid." Watched it again last night (the Director's version) and man, this movie is much better than I first gave it credit for. EVERYTHING Robert Downey Jr.'s doing, even when the scene's not even focussed on him or he's not talking is just beyond words funny and Jack Black's physical humor is just classic. Throw in Stiller doing what he does best, Cruises' ridiculous character with Bill Hader backing him up every step of the way, Nolte chomping scenery, Danny McBride's f/x guy and there doesn't seem to be a wrong note in the movie. And not only that, but for a comedy (hell, for any movie) it's just shot gorgeous (probably because Stiller went out and got a superior cinematographer). But it's really an impressive comedy all the way around.

I mean, even the DVD cast commentary is laugh-out loud funny as Downey stays in character throughout the entire thing while Ben and Jack Black are just themselves.

This will be a must own for me when I finally get back on my feet.

and I know that comedies don't usually garner Oscar attention and NEVER has a really broad comedy gotten any recognition, but Downey really should be nominated for Best Supporting Actor in this movie. He is just a comedic powerhouse in this movie. One of the greatest comedic characters ever invented.

Last edited:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bought this last weekend. It's everything good about parody. RDJ probably deserved some kind of acting award for this. He shot up to my "top 3 living actors" after this and Ironman.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bought this last weekend. It's everything good about parody. RDJ probably deserved some kind of acting award for this. He shot up to my "top 3 living actors" after this and Ironman.

it's great to see Depp and Downey finally not only really get mainstream rolls, but watching them knock them out of the park is even better. If I had told to you 6 years ago Depp would be the figure-head of a Billion dollar franchise and Downey would have opened a 330 million dollar movie you'd have thought I was bats#it crazy.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's great to see Depp and Downey finally not only really get mainstream rolls, but watching them knock them out of the park is even better. If I had told to you 6 years ago Depp would be the figure-head of a Billion dollar franchise and Downey would have opened a 330 million dollar movie you'd have thought I was bats#it crazy.

I bet when RDJ was playing the popped-up collar preppy punk in Weird Science, he had to wonder if he made the right career decision.

Another thing that was great about this movie is they had a role for Jack Black that made total sense. Nothing Jack Black did was out of character or even unfunny. That hadn't happened for him since High Fidelity.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One of the funniest most original comedies in years imo. I bought this one asap and agree with cheese 100%, odd. Great comedy seen it about 5 times already and funny every time.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet when RDJ was playing the popped-up collar preppy punk in Weird Science, he had to wonder if he made the right career decision.

oh come! he was awesome in that role as "douchebag #2".

Another thing that was great about this movie is they had a role for Jack Black that made total sense. Nothing Jack Black did was out of character or even unfunny. That hadn't happened for him since High Fidelity.

I thought Black was pretty hilarious in School of Rock, but yeah, it had been a while since he was really funny and not annoying.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the funniest most original comedies in years imo. I bought this one asap and agree with cheese 100%, odd. Great comedy seen it about 5 times already and funny every time.

we might agree that it was hilarious but I don't know how original it was. This move was like Three Amigos on steroids. Still hilarious but there's no doubting the similarities between the two... actors playing war, not realizing they're in an actual war, having to use their acting skills to win war, heavy handed screaming studio executives, etc, etc. doesn't take away anything from Thunder, but they weren't exactly re-inventing the wheel here.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
we might agree that it was hilarious but I don't know how original it was. This move was like Three Amigos on steroids. Still hilarious but there's no doubting the similarities between the two... actors playing war, not realizing they're in an actual war, having to use their acting skills to win war, heavy handed screaming studio executives, etc, etc. doesn't take away anything from Thunder, but they weren't exactly re-inventing the wheel here.

I admit I was determined to not see this movie because it was another Stiller comedy where he does his constipated dead-pan stuff that usually irritates me. This wasn't really new ground for Stiller, but, Dodgeball aside, the material was 10 times better than most of the stuff he's done before.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
The plot to Tropic Thunder is very similar to Three Amigos. I don't see how anyone can dispute that.

That doesn't make one bad, or one better than the other, it's just a fact.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This movie was so slow and boring. I turned it off about an hour and ten minutes in. Both my wife and I were bored. There are just so many long dry minutes with no action, no plot, nothing funny. Whoever edited the movie needs to try again.

About the only funny part was Jack Black with the bat, the rest of it was just crap IMO, and mind you I actually really like Ben Stiller movies.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Took me 20 minutes to realize that this movie was nothing more than a ridiculous attack on my senses. Complete and utter trash. And worse over..... Some really big names were involved.

Hey... Lets say pu%$y and fart, and let's just make a morally inept show with a bunch of big names and hope the audience laughs.

This move was a smelly pile of rhino dung. This movie is what is wrong with the new brand of comedy. Sensory overload.... HAHAHA!!! What a flipping crappy lazy way to make a comedy.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
I think a lot of you go into movies expecting them to be something they aren't and then get upset when they don't live up to your expectations.

I knew Tropic Thunder was going to be cheesy and stupid and therefore I enjoyed it for the chessy and stupid movie it was.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of you go into movies expecting them to be something they aren't and then get upset when they don't live up to your expectations.

I knew Tropic Thunder was going to be cheesy and stupid and therefore I enjoyed it for the chessy and stupid movie it was.

I'm kind of surprised you call it "stupid". I know you're not saying that as a bad thing, as I think you're saying it was probably stupid silly, but I actually thought the movie was pretty smart and a pretty biting satire on Hollywood.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
I'm kind of surprised you call it "stupid". I know you're not saying that as a bad thing, as I think you're saying it was probably stupid silly, but I actually thought the movie was pretty smart and a pretty biting satire on Hollywood.

Yes stupid silly.

"You can't go full ******" is already a commonly used line around the jobsite.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

I wasn't expecting Godfather or Braveheart. I also wasn't expecting the sensory overload either.

Did it have to start with a gangbanger rapper saying "pu88y over any over again? How bout the fart movie right after it? Flatulence always hits the spot.

How about the part where stiller's hands have been blown off and look like an exploded balloon? How about Stiller's pad in asia with all of the stripper dancing on his property? How about his agent's book of boobs? I mean, c'mon. I watched less than 25% of this movie and I saw all of that.

Satire can be much funnier than this. And much smarter.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn't expecting Godfather or Braveheart. I also wasn't expecting the sensory overload either.

Did it have to start with a gangbanger rapper saying "pu88y over any over again? How bout the fart movie right after it? Flatulence always hits the spot.

How about the part where stiller's hands have been blown off and look like an exploded balloon? How about Stiller's pad in asia with all of the stripper dancing on his property? How about his agent's book of boobs? I mean, c'mon. I watched less than 25% of this movie and I saw all of that.

Satire can be much funnier than this. And much smarter.

I don't know. I think sensory overload was the point as they were lampooning pretty much our media culture, which is by it's nature, sensory overload now. I think satire takes a magnifiying glass to whatever issue is at hand and how better to slam the rap-culture or the horrific comedies that come out like Klumps by making it look REALLY REALLY outright ridiculous?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know. I think sensory overload was the point as they were lampooning pretty much our media culture, which is by it's nature, sensory overload now. I think satire takes a magnifiying glass to whatever issue is at hand and how better to slam the rap-culture or the horrific comedies that come out like Klumps by making it look REALLY REALLY outright ridiculous?

Did no one see the obvious reference to Eddie Murphy's awful Nutty Professor series? Or over-the-top action flicks built on ridiculous environmental scenarios? Or pretentious indies? I thought all of the spoofs were spot-on satire, and the idea of three marginal (at best) actors trying to gain credibility by making an ensemble war movie is probably the height of poking at hollow Hollywood culture. Right down to Jack Black's ridiculous Brooklyn accent

You don't have to hate the Nutty Professor or Thin Red Line or Armageddon/The Core/The Day After Tommorrow, Babel, or method acting, or self-righteous stage actors whose entire worldviews are shaped by the characters they play, or bouncy-haired flighty British directors (Terry Gilliam going certifiable on the set of 12 Monkeys came to mind) to appreciate how this movie disembodies all of them with a dull pairing knife. For me, I already had a bit of disdain for all of it, and felt Tropical Thunder finally gave me a stronger voice on the matter.

For once, legitimate catharsis for me!

Last edited:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am all about disdain for the crap that was Babble. I must see this now.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am all about disdain for the crap that was Babble. I must see this now.

There was no direct reference on that one. It just the first pretentious indie flick that came to mind. I'm not sure if they had a specific movie in mind in that spoof.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did no one see the obvious reference to Eddie Murphy's awful Nutty Professor series? Or over-the-top action flicks built on ridiculous environmental scenarios? Or pretentious indies? I thought all of the spoofs were spot-on satire, and the idea of three marginal (at best) actors trying to gain credibility by making an ensemble war movie is probably the height of poking at hollow Hollywood culture. Right down to Jack Black's ridiculous Brooklyn accent

You don't have to hate the Nutty Professor or Thin Red Line or Armageddon/The Core/The Day After Tommorrow, Babel, or method acting, or self-righteous stage actors whose entire worldviews are shaped by the characters they play, or bouncy-haired flighty British directors (Terry Gilliam going certifiable on the set of 12 Monkeys came to mind) to appreciate how this movie disembodies all of them with a dull pairing knife. For me, I already had a bit of disdain for all of it, and felt Tropical Thunder finally gave me a stronger voice on the matter.

For once, legitimate catharsis for me!

exactly.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard