Trevor Ariza

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn’t the one who asked the question. He asked if we would be on board with this signing if we didn’t trade for a PG. I say it doesn’t matter.

If the Suns do not trade for a PG I think it matters a lot because the Suns have not improved themselves much with the Ariza signing. The Suns did not need another wing.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Where the hell did people get that Josh Jackson was on the trade block? It’s no secret that McD has been actively trying to move Chriss and likely Warren. Barring an elite player being offered to the Suns, Jackson will be here this season.

Ariza being on a one-year deal essentially means that the Suns are looking for a mentor, albeit expensive one, for their wing players.

I’ve always felt that a good team needs a guy like Trevor Ariza. Savvy vet who plays great defense and can shoot. Of course, we’re not title contenders, but if anything, this move is a symbol that the days of tanking are over.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Where the hell did people get that Josh Jackson was on the trade block? It’s no secret that McD has been actively trying to move Chriss and likely Warren. Barring an elite player being offered to the Suns, Jackson will be here this season.

Ariza being on a one-year deal essentially means that the Suns are looking for a mentor, albeit expensive one, for their wing players.

I’ve always felt that a good team needs a guy like Trevor Ariza. Savvy vet who plays great defense and can shoot. Of course, we’re not title contenders, but if anything, this move is a symbol that the days of tanking are over.

I didn't say Jackson was for sure on the trade block but this signing makes me worry that he might be used as trade bait. I hope it doesn't happen but he has more value than Bridges and I believe it's fair to say he's also more likely to be dealt than Bridges would be. I did not say that it would happen for sure though, just that it's a fear now that we signed Ariza.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If the Suns do not trade for a PG I think it matters a lot because the Suns have not improved themselves much with the Ariza signing. The Suns did not need another wing.
They’ve already improved themselves with the draft. They don’t need a FA to improve because we don’t need to this summer.

I know you want us to compete for a title next year, but it won’t happen. So let’s develop a core that is twice he size it was last year.

If that’s he goal, what else is needed? A locker room presence and someone that can change the culture here regarding defense. Arias checks those boxes.

Maybe we do need a point guard and maybe the Suns are good THIS year with running Knight Okobo and Booker in that role.

Honestly if the PGOF is not here in 2018, so be it. I’m not willing to spend just to spend.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I didn't say Jackson was for sure on the trade block but this signing makes me worry that he might be used as trade bait. I hope it doesn't happen but he has more value than Bridges and I believe it's fair to say he's also more likely to be dealt than Bridges would be. I did not say that it would happen for sure though, just that it's a fear now that we signed Ariza.
Jackson is absolutely not going anywhere. The team has made it abundantly clear that JJ is part of this team's future core.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
They’ve already improved themselves with the draft. They don’t need a FA to improve because we don’t need to this summer.

I know you want us to compete for a title next year, but it won’t happen. So let’s develop a core that is twice he size it was last year.

If that’s he goal, what else is needed? A locker room presence and someone that can change the culture here regarding defense. Arias checks those boxes.

Maybe we do need a point guard and maybe the Suns are good THIS year with running Knight Okobo and Booker in that role.

Honestly if the PGOF is not here in 2018, so be it. I’m not willing to spend just to spend.

Griffin basically mentions the same thing, lists all the free agent point guards in 2019 when suns have a max slot.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm talking about improving the Suns in free agency and trades. The draft is over.

A starting PG would make me happy.

I don't know where you got the sentence in bold.

I think the Suns have too many mentors already.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm talking about improving the Suns in free agency and trades. The draft is over.

A starting PG would make me happy.

I don't know where you got the sentence in bold.

I think the Suns have too many mentors already.
Many non Suns fans on other forums are wondering why the Suns did this instead of getting a starting caliber PG when they already have so many forwards on the roster especially some they invested top 10 draft picks on.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@sunsfan88

I want to be a mentor like Chandler, Dudley and Ariza. I will work cheap.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many non Suns fans on other forums are wondering why the Suns did this instead of getting a starting caliber PG when they already have so many forwards on the roster especially some they invested top 10 draft picks on.

A trade has to be in the works.

If not, the pieces are not coming together for me because the Suns switched to win now mode or so I thought.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I like reading the comments after the tweets so I know a lot of basketball fans are asking the same question.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

If not, the pieces are not coming together for me because the Suns switched to win now mode or so I thought.
I hope so. The Suns have already said they will not start Booker at the PG position so I hope they aren't stupid enough to try Knight as the starting PG again.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

There are different layers. They can be in “win now” mode and not be in “we have our complete team” mode yet. In other words, no more tanking. Try to make strides, but don’t rush things. Don’t sign a pg just to sign a pg. get the best pg for this squad. Maybe it’s next year. I’m okay with that. I’m okay with them taking a swing this year too. Their young talent buys some more time with me (BC likely not so much).

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I like reading the comments after the tweets so I know a lot of basketball fans are asking the same question.
Here's some reaction from the RealGM community of a rather diverse fanbase

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1720817

Ariza can play (even though its concerning that he shot 28% from 3 in the playoffs) but the fit is just strange. If there is a trade in the works to clear up the log jam and bring in a PG then it's much better.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are different layers. They can be in “win now” mode and not be in “we have our complete team” mode yet. In other words, no more tanking. Try to make strides, but don’t rush things. Don’t sign a pg just to sign a pg. get the best pg for this squad. Maybe it’s next year. I’m okay with that. I’m okay with them taking a swing this year too. Their young talent buys some more time with me (BC likely not so much).

I like Ariza as a player but he does not help the Suns need at PG. And how many mentors can the Suns have.

If a trade is not forthcoming maybe they should have spent the money on a PF. As I have said, I was not wanting the Suns to throw money at Van Vleet.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Here's some reaction from the RealGM community of a rather diverse fanbase

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1720817

Ariza can play (even though its concerning that he shot 28% from 3 in the playoffs) but the fit is just strange. If there is a trade in the works to clear up the log jam and bring in a PG then it's much better.

Every organization should run themselves based on the commentary of the realgm message board

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Every organization should run themselves based on the commentary of the realgm message board

Yeah, I really don't get the confusion about the signing unless you refuse to accept that Ariza is a stretch 4 at this point. I know McDonough said he thinks Mikal is a 3/4 and I do think he has the length for it but I don't think he'll spend too much time at the 4 until he puts on more muscle. Ariza has about 20+ pounds on him. Unless JJ and Chriss improve their shots the only other stretch 4 on the team is Bender(Peters too I guess but not sure if he sticks).

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Damien Lillard trade coming. He tweeted put Peace Time. A potential Suns trade? That would give us a great core

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn