Trevor Ariza

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Which FA point guard could we have signed that would have been good value?

I'm waiting...

Still waiting...

You know what this does? Opens the door to maybe get Kemba next year when he's unrestricted, for example. We'll have a ton of money next summer, even with Booker's extension. And we're NOT going to compete for a title, not even the Western Conference next year, so sign a vet to a make-good, see what he can bring. At the very least he will help change the culture of the Suns defensively.
Yup with JJ, Bridges and ariza we have three guys who play D. Changing culture.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ball trade coming

23 mil expiring Dudley Chandler

20 Mil Leonard

25 Mil Deng and Ball

Three way trade add a few players

Jackson, Bridges Ariza, Dudley Warren Ayton Chris's, 7 fwds is way too many

You may be on to something but I'm not sure how it works.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
He's 6'8", will play around the perimeter anyway, is on a one-year, and is a lockdown defender--it's not like he's defending guys that are much bigger than him. Which PF in the league will cause him major problems?

Other than guys like LBJ and KD that would destroy any 4 probably only Giannis, Blake and Randle.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jackson isn't going anywhere.

Warren and Chriss are going - soon.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If we didn't have such a gaping hole at PG right now, I'd view this signing differently. We have no cap space left now though so a trade is our only option to fill that space.

If there wasn't such a hole in the PG FA maybe we would have invested there. The only way to get a decent PG this year has always been via trade.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we didn't have such a gaping hole at PG right now, I'd view this signing differently. We have no cap space left now though so a trade is our only option to fill that space. If we had a little more flexibility I'd trust something was happening behind the scenes but right now it looks like we're capped out and not in a position to negotiate a deal where we can call someone's bluff. We also don't have any real bigs besides Ayton.

The makeup of this team is questionable right now. I'm finally seeing the light on the McD bashing that some here have participated in because for the first time in a couple years I really don't think he has much of a plan beyond this signing. I hope I'm wrong. I guess the best thing about this is Ariza is just signed for a year. It's not something that can't be fixed but I would have preferred that move to come after something else that addresses our holes rather than making them appear bigger.

I have to think McDonough has a trade lined up to fill the Suns hole at PG.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Which FA point guard could we have signed that would have been good value?

I'm waiting...

Still waiting...

You know what this does? Opens the door to maybe get Kemba next year when he's unrestricted, for example. We'll have a ton of money next summer, even with Booker's extension. And we're NOT going to compete for a title, not even the Western Conference next year, so sign a vet to a make-good, see what he can bring. At the very least he will help change the culture of the Suns defensively.

Just because there isn't a top flight PG available doesn't mean we should have blown all of our cap space on a wing. That's the issue. It's not so much Ariza as a player or THIS GUY should have been signed instead, it's blowing the money on a player that doesn't really fill a need.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Just because there isn't a top flight PG available doesn't mean we should have blown all of our cap space on a wing. That's the issue. It's not so much Ariza as a player or THIS GUY should have been signed instead, it's blowing the money on a player that doesn't really fill a need.
If they consider Ariza a possible stretch 4, that absolutely fills a need, a need they communicated after the draft. I'm not sure what you're expecting here?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For everyone freaking out we dont have a legit 4 - we can play combos of any 2 of Chandler, Ayton, and Bender if size is truly a problem.

Ayton and Bender can both play 4 or 5.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He’s a three point shooter which we need. He’s a veteran which we need. He plays defense which we need. I’m not a big ariza fan, but I get the signing. And it’s a one year deal. Keeping powder dry for next year.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If there isn't a trade coming, how will people's view change about the Ariza signing? If we don't trade for a starting caliber PG, on the level of a VanVleet so there is some sort of bar set, by say the 10th of July, how will everyone that is good with this signing feel about it then? Will your views change?

There's a lot of talk of a trade happening and I want to believe that but I'll believe it when see it happening.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If there isn't a trade coming, how will people's view change about the Ariza signing? If we don't trade for a starting caliber PG, on the level of a VanVleet so there is some sort of bar set, by say the 10th of July, how will everyone that is good with this signing feel about it then? Will your views change?

There's a lot of talk of a trade happening and I want to believe that but I'll believe it when see it happening.
NO because there is no Free Agent point guard worth all our cap space. Period.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
For everyone freaking out we dont have a legit 4 - we can play combos of any 2 of Chandler, Ayton, and Bender if size is truly a problem.

Ayton and Bender can both play 4 or 5.
Then Bender needs to start providing consistency in his game as a big man.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He’s a three point shooter which we need. He’s a veteran which we need. He plays defense which we need. I’m not a big ariza fan, but I get the signing. And it’s a one year deal. Keeping powder dry for next year.

Selling it like that makes more sense but I'm not seeing him as that much of an improvement over Jackson. I know Jackson's 3pt shooting needs work but by all accounts he's working on it and it was better than his % last year reflects since he was a different player in 2018 vs 2017. I'm just not seeing how Ariza and Bridges or Ariza and Jackson is really that much of an upgrade over Jackson and Bridges or Jackson and Warren or Bridges and Warren. See what I'm saying?

This seems rushed to me.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Well not much - because I am not enamored with any of the free agent pg's. I think either Okobo or Knight could be just as good as any of the free agents.

Personally I would rather spend the money on a 1 year deal with Ariza than a 4 year big money deal with VanVleet or Marcus Smart because that could become an albatross easily.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Selling it like that makes more sense but I'm not seeing him as that much of an improvement over Jackson. I know Jackson's 3pt shooting needs work but by all accounts he's working on it and it was better than his % last year reflects since he was a different player in 2018 vs 2017. I'm just not seeing how Ariza and Bridges or Ariza and Jackson is really that much of an upgrade over Jackson and Bridges or Jackson and Warren or Bridges and Warren. See what I'm saying?

This seems rushed to me.
Locker room, consistency, defense. Not sure what you're not seeing here.

The signing is getting almost universal praise from non-Suns fans.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Once upon a time, before the draft, the Suns front office announced our two biggest needs as a starting Center and starting Point Guard.

That certainly implied that Brandon Knight would not be our starting Point Guard.

Where does that leave us now?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

This seems rushed to me.
If our forward rotation is JJ Bridges ariza and bender we’ve substantially improved both our three point shooting and defense from a year ago. Two weaknesses of ours. This likely makes Warren expendable and we know they have already been shopping Chriss. Two guys not known for three point shooting or defense. I don’t understand how that’s not clear.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This seems rushed to me.

He is not replacing Jackson. They fully plan to play Ariza at the 4. It will work fine against 80 percent plus of teams they face.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Once upon a time, before the draft, the Suns front office announced our two biggest needs as a starting Center and starting Point Guard.

That certainly implied that Brandon Knight would not be our starting Point Guard.

Where does that leave us now?
What?

We got our starting center in the draft, that made our biggest needs PG and Stretch 4. We just got our stretch 4. And again, and you and nobody else is answering this question, which free agent point guard was worth even the money we are paying Ariza, let alone over more than one year??

OP
OP
F

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This seems rushed to me.

No.

It's a good signing for 1 it's a 1 year deal. Ariza bring veteran leadership and a defensive mind set he's a culture guy. I think Dudley is gone honestly I think it's Dudley he is going to replace more than anyone.