Trevor Ariza

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Every organization should run themselves based on the commentary of the realgm message board
Strawman? Who the hell said they should run their organization based on message board content?

They certainly shouldn't based on homeristic fans opinions, I do think that's actually worse.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Damien Lillard trade coming. He tweeted put Peace Time. A potential Suns trade? That would give us a great core

Or he was just going to bed after staying up to follow the free agency frenzy.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I'm taking this as a sign that McD and Igor are willing to go into next year with Okobo and Harrison manning PG. I'm tickled about it. More emphasis on D and right where we need it most - next to Booker. Sure, it's a gamble but there plenty of upside if either or both look like they'll grow into the starting role. If not, Tyus Jones will be as RFA next year.

Ariza as a PF doesn't excite me but it's good culture move, I think.

Now I'm hoping that Williams and Reed are both back on their trend lines before their injuries. SL isn't all that meaningful in general but it will their audition for the roster. Maybe just for training camp, but it's a step.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think that Ball may very well be the target.

After spending our cap space it is very unlikely that the Suns can construct a trade for Ball.

The Suns were a realistic destination for Ball because we had both the cap room to help the Lakers to get even more cap room and the need for a PG.

Now that the Suns' cap space is gone, we would like to trade for Ball because we need him. That's not offering much from Lakers' point of view.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
After spending our cap space it is very unlikely that the Suns can construct a trade for Ball.

The Suns were a realistic destination for Ball because we had both the cap room to help the Lakers to get even more cap room and the need for a PG.

Now that the Suns' cap space is gone, we would like to trade for Ball because we need him. That's not offering much from Lakers' point of view.

Another bonus to signing Ariza, removes Suns from the Deng/Ball conversation.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Who's the power forward: PJ Tucker or Trevor Ariza? Because those were the two forwards in Houston last year. So no, he's isn't just playing SF. He's got a good 2 inches on PJ.

PJ Tucker weighs 245. Ariza weighs 215 -- 30 pounds less. Is there any doubt who the Power Forward was?

Yeah, If someone is saying how are suns going to play ariza at 4, they must have not watched any rockets games last yeqr.

Ariza played only 2% of his minutes last season at PF.

http://www.82games.com/1718/17HOU14.HTM

I'm gonna throw your dig back at you, so you must not have watched any Rockets games last year.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
viva Ariza!
we needed a smart, defensive vet to mentor our precious newbies up front.
Dudley can only do so much of that on the pine
and Chandler doesn't have the fire in his belly to pass on anymore.
the next step is purging as many of the low bb iq, weak defensive players as possible
(i'm looking at Chriss, TJ)

sure, we need a pg more
but it is too important a position on this team to force the situation right now
with Ariza on a one year deal, we'll have that opportunity again next year

we don't need all our starting positions perfectly filled this year.
we need a whole new winning mentality on the floor, grounded in defense
this was the best use of our money for the goals we need to achieve this season

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ariza played only 2% of his minutes last season at PF.

http://www.82games.com/1718/17HOU14.HTM

I'm gonna throw your dig back at you, so you must not have watched any Rockets games last year.

According to Basketball-Reference Ariza played 30% of his time in the postseason as their PF. The stats aren't much different for the regular season, saying he played PF 5% of the time. There is a big difference between 2 and 30 percent though. Generally Ariza was playing as the SF.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/arizatr01.html

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
According to Basketball-Reference Ariza played 30% of his time in the postseason as their PF. The stats aren't much different for the regular season, saying he played PF 5% of the time. There is a big difference between 2 and 30 percent though. Generally Ariza was playing as the SF.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/arizatr01.html
I don't think the Suns are projected to be a playoff team next season so I find it more beneficial to use his regular season position than playoffs position.. Of course when the Suns are ready to be a playoff team then yeah it's different.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yeah your right, I realized that shortly after posting this.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I like Ariza as a player but he does not help the Suns need at PG. And how many mentors can the Suns have.

I think David Griffin made the important point in the video hsandhu shared. Ariza gives the Suns a mentor who will actually play a lot. He can lead by example, and that has a ton of value for a young team.

I like this signing...it's similar to the J.J. Redick signing the 76ers made last year. You add a winner to a young team without losing your flexibility when you're a more attractive free agent destination the next year.

The Suns need players who can play defense and shoot. Those players are not easy to find, and Ariza is one of the better examples for our young players.

Here's a fantastic article from Zach Lowe that may help some of you get more excited about this signing (I know it pumped me up):

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23597463/zach-lowe-trevor-ariza-houston-rockets-2018-nba-playoffs

1. Ariza? He just logs 40-ish minutes, hits enough 3s that you never fret about spacing, and defends across every position. He rarely misses games or practices. When the Wizards tried to rest him at the end of the 2013-14 season, with their playoff seed almost set, Ariza refused, Wittman says. He wants in on every practice drill.

2. Ariza is usually the first player to arrive at home games. He warms up early, and sits at his locker, watching film of Houston's opponent playing on a big screen.

As players file in, Ariza might stop them to discuss a play rushing across the screen: How should we defend that? "He holds court," Bzdelik says. "When you have a player-directed culture like that, your team has a chance. Trevor brings that."

3. Ariza is the only Rockets player with a championship ring, and everyone with the team says his fearlessness helps set a tone. Houston's coaches are still talking about Ariza scoring 11 points over the first three minutes of Game 4 in the first round against Minnesota -- when a Wolves win would have tied the series, and set off heated coverage of whether Paul and Harden were ready for postseason pressure. Ariza staked them.

"Trevor is tough," Bryant says. "There is no punk in Trevor at all. You're not going to bully him, and you're not going to intimidate him."

4. He finds soft defenders, or those who play no defense at all, almost offensive.

5. That is Ariza -- a blend of old school and new school that has been a perfect fit for the Rockets, and will be again next season wherever he signs in free agency.

"I have so much respect for what Trevor has done," Malone says. "Those guys never get the limelight. But if you look at his career since those early days in New York, he's helped a lot of teams."

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I never had much interest in the Suns trading for Ball (for a number of obvious reasons) but the Suns using their CAP space takes them out of other trades where they could facilitate for assets.

This being the case, it makes sense the Suns have another trade in place.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Untouchables
Booker
Ayton
Jackson
Bridges
Ulis, no just kidding (too soon?)

Wait, 15 mill for Ariza? A bit steep, surely? Good to have a solid veteran that actually plays though (Chandler, Duds).

Ayton
Ariza?
Jackson
Booker
Anyone but Knight
---
Bridges
Bender
Warren
Whatever scrubs earned us last place (plus those above)

Last edited:

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Untouchables

WAY TOO SOON!

Your lineup looks about right. Like many others on this board, I'd be willing to utilize Warren to acquire "Anyone but Knight" in the starting point guard spot.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Untouchables
Booker
Ayton
Jackson
Bridges

Wait, 15 mill for Ariza? A bit steep, surely? Good to have a solid veteran that actually plays though (Chandler, Duds).

Ayton
Ariza?
Jackson
Booker
Anyone but Knight
---
Bridges
Bender
Warren
Whatever scrubs earned us last place (plus those above)

Knight will turn this season into a disaster, he has one of the lowest NBA PG IQs ever, he forces the ball, literally looks to score Everytime and forces bad shots. He is a horrible PG for this team

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard