Trevor Ariza

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
soooooo not what we need but it's a 1 year deal so I like it

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Any other signing would have been multiple years and would've hurt our long term plans.

Some of these hypothetical VanVleet contracts thrown around were insane.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have a bad feeling that we're shopping Josh Jackson. Drafting Bridges made him sort of become available. Bridges moved into that untouchable SF spot for this season. Jackson could bring back good value also, much more than Warren, but unless he can fetch a PG like Kemba on his own, I'm not sure about seeing him traded. Even if we got Kemba for JJ, I'm not sold on a team of Kemba, Booker, Bridges, Ariza, Ayton.

Something stinks, not sure what it is, but Jackson being traded makes the most sense but it definitely isn't what people want to see.

Signing Ariza with Jackson, Warren, Bridges, and to a lesser degree Daniels, Reed, King, and Dudley all capable of playing on the wing, just creates a HUGE logjam. We had 5 SF's right now, 4 of them are on guaranteed deals. JJ, Warren, Bridges, and Ariza with King on the Two-Way. What is going on?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I have a bad feeling that we're shopping Josh Jackson. Drafting Bridges made him sort of become available. Bridges moved into that untouchable SF spot for this season. Jackson could bring back good value also, much more than Warren, but unless he can fetch a PG like Kemba on his own, I'm not sure about seeing him traded. Even if we got Kemba for JJ, I'm not sold on a team of Kemba, Booker, Bridges, Ariza, Ayton.

Something stinks, not sure what it is, but Jackson being traded makes the most sense but it definitely isn't what people want to see.

Signing Ariza with Jackson, Warren, Bridges, and to a lesser degree Daniels, Reed, King, and Dudley all capable of playing on the wing, just creates a HUGE logjam. We had 5 SF's right now, 4 of them are on guaranteed deals. JJ, Warren, Bridges, and Ariza with King on the Two-Way. What is going on?
Geez, something "stinks?"

Check outside your window. Is the sky really falling out there? Sheesh. Ariza on a one-year is almost nothing IMO. He's a good shooter and he's a defensive stalwart. Gotta change the culture somehow. And signing an overpaid backup (Van Fleet) wasn't going to help.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Geez, something "stinks?"

Check outside your window. Is the sky really falling out there? Sheesh. Ariza on a one-year is almost nothing IMO. He's a good shooter and he's a defensive stalwart. Gotta change the culture somehow. And signing an overpaid backup (Van Fleet) wasn't going to help.

Having 4 SF's isn't a concern? Outside of Booker and Ayton virtually every player on our team that is talented enough to play on another NBA team is a SF. That isn't the slightest bit of a problem?

This is the 3 headed PG mess happening on the wing. We get a franchise Center and instead of going with that and playing with size we'll sign a bunch of wings so we can still play some sort of small ball.

We don't have an NBA quality starting PG or PF but yet we have 4 players who are all starters that play the same exact position. We can go small, starting 2 of them at forward but we don't have quality players with size backing them up. We don't have a real backup Center right now unless you count Chandler who plays 45 games a year. So somethings off. This signing doesn't make a lot of sense.

The only upside to it is that it's just 1 year but at the same time, what do they expect to happen in that year? Point Booker playing with 3 of the 4 and Ayton at Center? I'm not thrilled with that idea and I don't see how anyone else could be.

OP
OP
F

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Jackson is untouchable hell we wouldn't even trade him for Porzingas last year. Trading Jackson makes no sense. You can run Booker, Bridges and Jackson all at the same time

Ariza on a 1 year deal bring veteran leadership and a defensive mentality if anything it's Warren and Dudley who I expect gone

HeHasRosen

All Star
Reaction score

Were getting guys that can shoot the 3. You may be right about JJ. They may be shopping him. Igor wants to play that inside out ball with Ayton in the middle and shooters on the outside. Lots of movement.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I just don't see it. What has changed with Jackson since the lottery drawing? Really bad optics to choose him to represent us in the lottery only to ship him out right after.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Having 4 SF's isn't a concern? Outside of Booker and Ayton virtually every player on our team that is talented enough to play on another NBA team is a SF. That isn't the slightest bit of a problem?

This is the 3 headed PG mess happening on the wing. We get a franchise Center and instead of going with that and playing with size we'll sign a bunch of wings so we can still play some sort of small ball.

We don't have an NBA quality starting PG or PF but yet we have 4 players who are all starters that play the same exact position. We can go small, starting 2 of them at forward but we don't have quality players with size backing them up. We don't have a real backup Center right now unless you count Chandler who plays 45 games a year. So somethings off. This signing doesn't make a lot of sense.

The only upside to it is that it's just 1 year but at the same time, what do they expect to happen in that year? Point Booker playing with 3 of the 4 and Ayton at Center? I'm not thrilled with that idea and I don't see how anyone else could be.
Certainly THIS year it's not a concern. You're also assuming JJ and Bridges will both start right out of the gate. That's not a given although most people think it is. Hell, there is most likely more moves coming.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I just don't see it. What has changed with Jackson since the lottery drawing? Really bad optics to choose him to represent us in the lottery only to ship him out right after.
They also put him on a billboard with Booker and Ayton like 8 hours after the draft. I think it is fair to say they see him as part of the future core.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Clearly the Suns are looking for two-way players. That means Warren is on the hot seat. I do like Warren.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Has McD handled any trades well though? Of course it would look terrible but that hasn't stopped the trades sending out Dragic, Bledsoe, Markieff, etc. He views players as assets, not necessarily taking into account their personalities.

I hope he's not dealt but even Bordow has sort of changed how Jackson's mentioned since the draft day deal for Bridges. Jackson was untouchable but now he'd be a piece available for a star player, which is fine, but at the same time you can't make someone too available. Since we've created a log jam, how much value do our SF's have right now? Did they lose value with the Ariza signing? I think it's fair to say they did, even if it wasn't much.

Most GM's can look at our roster right now and know who the Suns will trade and who they'd listen to offers for. It's tough to negotiate and say Jackson isn't available when clearly someone at SF needs to be available and it's not the guy we just traded up for in Bridges.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Ariza was played often as a small ball PF. It’s a one year deal to keep powder dry. It’s okay, but more on the meh side.
Were there any other free agents, especially unrestricted, that would garner more than "meh?" I'm not sure there were.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We finally get our Center of the generation and all this talk about small ball at the PF?

Two steps forward and one step back.
It's a great balanced BC. It's not centers that are going out of vogue, its PF's. Ariza is a nice pf alongside Ayton.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we didn't have such a gaping hole at PG right now, I'd view this signing differently. We have no cap space left now though so a trade is our only option to fill that space. If we had a little more flexibility I'd trust something was happening behind the scenes but right now it looks like we're capped out and not in a position to negotiate a deal where we can call someone's bluff. We also don't have any real bigs besides Ayton.

The makeup of this team is questionable right now. I'm finally seeing the light on the McD bashing that some here have participated in because for the first time in a couple years I really don't think he has much of a plan beyond this signing. I hope I'm wrong. I guess the best thing about this is Ariza is just signed for a year. It's not something that can't be fixed but I would have preferred that move to come after something else that addresses our holes rather than making them appear bigger.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Ball trade coming

23 mil expiring Dudley Chandler

20 Mil Leonard

25 Mil Deng and Ball

Three way trade add a few players

Jackson, Bridges Ariza, Dudley Warren Ayton Chris's, 7 fwds is way too many

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Were there any other free agents, especially unrestricted, that would garner more than "meh?" I'm not sure there were.
Yeah I don’t think so (other than unrealistic guys like Lebron or Paul George). I expected this free agent season to be meh. Doesn’t change the fact that it’s meh just because not much else was available. Gordon might not have been meh but not entirely sold on him and pretty sure Orlando would match.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If we didn't have such a gaping hole at PG right now, I'd view this signing differently. We have no cap space left now though so a trade is our only option to fill that space. If we had a little more flexibility I'd trust something was happening behind the scenes but right now it looks like we're capped out and not in a position to negotiate a deal where we can call someone's bluff. We also don't have any real bigs besides Ayton.

The makeup of this team is questionable right now. I'm finally seeing the light on the McD bashing that some here have participated in because for the first time in a couple years I really don't think he has much of a plan beyond this signing. I hope I'm wrong. I guess the best thing about this is Ariza is just signed for a year. It's not something that can't be fixed but I would have preferred that move to come after something else that addresses our holes rather than making them appear bigger.
Which FA point guard could we have signed that would have been good value?

I'm waiting...

Still waiting...

You know what this does? Opens the door to maybe get Kemba next year when he's unrestricted, for example. We'll have a ton of money next summer, even with Booker's extension. And we're NOT going to compete for a title, not even the Western Conference next year, so sign a vet to a make-good, see what he can bring. At the very least he will help change the culture of the Suns defensively.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson