Trading Rosen and trading down for Murray might be a great idea

Cardinal

All Star
Reaction score
Y'all are acting like it's your own money haha. $8 million in dead money for QB is not a lot. Last year when Bradford got released he had $10 million in dead money and still has $5 million in dead money for this season.

The key is all of this is that the dead money won't come without compensation. If we can get at least a mid to late 1st round pick for Rosen it'd be worth it.

With that said, my preference is that we just keep Rosen and try to trade down from #1. If Rosen sucks, we can just try for Trevor Lawrence in two years.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Either way you slice it your looking at throwing away a pair of aces to catch an inside straight. Why do we not trust Kk? He convinced the cards brass that he can help Rosen excel. Why would he say that if he didn’t believe it? That would be occupational suicide. He has helped every qb he’s coach improve and excel. I trust KK.

I understand where you're coming from, and I don't think anyone who wants to pass on Murray is being unreasonable. In fact, it's probably the reasonable course of action in this case.

Drafting Murray would be a risky decision. That is not debatable.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's definitely fair NJCardFan.

But tell us honestly sir. In your opinion, which player has the greatest potential to change the course of a franchise? To turn it from a loser into winner? Murray or Bosa?
Bosa because I'm still a defense wins championship kind of guy. What won the Patriots this past Super Bowl? Wasn't offense that's for sure. In fact defense pretty much dominated the playoffs.

Cardinal

All Star
Reaction score
Bosa because I'm still a defense wins championship kind of guy. What won the Patriots this past Super Bowl? Wasn't offense that's for sure. In fact defense pretty much dominated the playoffs.

Name one elite player the Patriots had on defense that they drafted.

If only we can draft Bill Belichick.

The final 4 teams were 1st (Chiefs), 2nd (Rams), 3rd (Saints), 4th (Patriots) in scoring offense.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I looked at a few mock drafts and so far I only see 2 guys taking Murray in the top 10 and one even has him going #32 to NE.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Y'all are acting like it's your own money haha. $8 million in dead money for QB is not a lot. Last year when Bradford got released he had $10 million in dead money and still has $5 million in dead money for this season.

The key is all of this is that the dead money won't come without compensation. If we can get at least a mid to late 1st round pick for Rosen it'd be worth it.

With that said, my preference is that we just keep Rosen and try to trade down from #1. If Rosen sucks, we can just try for Trevor Lawrence in two years.

$8 million is 20% of the Cardinals available cap space, when you consider the other $5 million sitting there in dead space at QB and the other $4 million that Glennon counts against the cap and the price you'd pay for yet another high drafted rookie QB you are investing a lot in a position without any proof the position will be better than last year.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He still would not be worth 25% of a franchise quarterback.
So a game breaking defensive end/LB wouldn't be worth 25% of a franchise QB. This isn't Arena football where the winner usually comes down to who has the ball last in a shootout. You need someone to keep the other team from scoring. Dan Marino is arguably the greatest QB, statistically, to play this game and he has zero championships and only had 1 crack in it. Why? Because during Marino's formative years they consistently had a bottom 3rd defense. Defense still wins championships.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we need to just wait and see how the combine shakes out before we get too excited one way or the other.

Don’t need to wait for the combine to know you don’t abandon Rosen in favor of Dorf... lol

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't see "generational talent" in Murray. The last QB that looked like generational talent was Luck, but really the only QBs active in the NFL today you could possibly call generational are Brees and Brady...so the fact that Rosen doesn't look like a generational talent isn't an indictment, its just the reality that these players are considered to come around once or twice in a generation. IMO Saquon Barkley was truly the only generational player in last years draft, barring injury that guy will be an all time great.
I don't see Brady as generational only because I think he thrives in his system. I don't think he'd be as successful if he was drafted by, say SF or here for that matter. Payton Manning was generational. As is Brees as you mentioned but he had a tough time in the beginning. Rivers is borderline. A healthy Warner would be considered generational.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So a game breaking defensive end/LB wouldn't be worth 25% of a franchise QB. This isn't Arena football where the winner usually comes down to who has the ball last in a shootout. You need someone to keep the other team from scoring. Dan Marino is arguably the greatest QB, statistically, to play this game and he has zero championships and only had 1 crack in it. Why? Because during Marino's formative years they consistently had a bottom 3rd defense. Defense still wins championships.

In my opinion yes.

A pass rush is useless against a team like the patriots - and anyone else who gets a pass off in under 3 seconds. The Rams have basically the best pass rushing group in the league and it did not affect the Patriots at all in the superbowl.

I think a good corner is worth more than a good pass rusher in today's nfl.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We could ditch every QB we draft after one year, and draft a new guy every year.

Heck, we could bcome famous for setting the modern day record for QB turnover...New team slogan - bigger turnover than IHOP.
Didn't the Jets already do that?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see Brady as generational only because I think he thrives in his system. I don't think he'd be as successful if he was drafted by, say SF or here for that matter. Payton Manning was generational. As is Brees as you mentioned but he had a tough time in the beginning. Rivers is borderline. A healthy Warner would be considered generational.

You lost all credibility when you say the single most successful QB in the history of the league isn’t a generational talent lmao WOW

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I know you're sick of the Murray talk man.

But can you imagine how horrible it will be for us, if Murray lights it up in the NFL, goes on to be a superstar, while Josh busts out?

How we'll be cursing ourselves, since we had the easy decision to draft Murray sitting right in front of us, but we *ucked it up again, because we didn't have the balls to go for it?
Would it be worse than selling low on Josh, buying high on Murray and watching Josh light up the NFL, while Murray bats 2nd for the As in 2021?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Stick with Rosen, and get Bosa or Williams or trade down for a ton more picks. Don't fall for Murray. He is fun to watch, but I think Rosen will be fine and light years better next season then he was the last season.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In my opinion yes.

A pass rush is useless against a team like the patriots - and anyone else who gets a pass off in under 3 seconds. The Rams have basically the best pass rushing group in the league and it did not affect the Patriots at all in the superbowl.

I think a good corner is worth more than a good pass rusher in today's nfl.
That’s the thing.

Against everyone else but the Patriots, pass-rush is the #1 key. Now, against the Patriots, great corners are key. Need both a lot obviously against the Pats, though.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Stick with Rosen, and get Bosa or Williams or trade down for a ton more picks. Don't fall for Murray. He is fun to watch, but I think Rosen will be fine and light years better next season then he was the last season.

Thats the only way to do this. Rosen showed some glimpses, the o-line was a desaster and really, we need to fix our D and O-line and support before we can think about drafting another QB high if our fails.

You need a good support cast and a good protection for your QBotF, else he runs for his life or gets shockshelfed in the first season/s.

We saw how that works out this year, our O-line was a desaster and our young QB made many mistakes just because he hadn't the time to scan the field or go through his progression properly.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You lost all credibility when you say the single most successful QB in the history of the league isn’t a generational talent lmao WOW
OK. Please tell the class how you gleaned that. And successful, yes. Because of the system he's been in. As I said, I'm not sure he's as successful if he were drafted somewhere else. Marino and Manning would have been great no matter what.

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK. Please tell the class how you gleaned that.

If I have to explain to you that Tom Brady is a generational talent? There is no helping you on the topic.