Trading Marion

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I read that the Bulls are exploring a sign and trade for Nocioni. Marion to the Bulls for a resigned Nocioni and filler. I'm not sure what Nocioni is looking for, but I think a contract similar to Diaw's of 9 mil per would be fair, although Diaw hasn't earned his yet. It would probably be difficult for the Bulls to come up with contracts to match Marion's, and it's debatable whether Chicago would even want Marion with the players that they currently have. I just think that Nocioni would be a perfect fit for the Suns with his gritty play and good shooting.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Azirish is so bored with these threads he should stop reading them. It's really not that difficult.

Joe

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If Azirish is so bored with these threads he should stop reading them. It's really not that difficult.

Joe

:bigyawn:

I'm sure you're right. There are just enough nuggets of good stuff I keep coming back. :shock:

BTW Joe, you generally have good stuff. I don't expect agreement, just some thought and an avoidance of personal attacks.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's all this talk of replacing Marion with a small forward? Marion plays power forward for the Suns most of the time.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's all this talk of replacing Marion with a small forward? Marion plays power forward for the Suns most of the time.

LMAO. Good point. The bigger question is who makes up for Shawn defense when he is guarding PG, SG, SF, PF and Centers?? Can we draft an Octopus next year? :D

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So the argument is to trade Marion now lest we lose him next summer for nothing. But what are the chances that he would actually opt-out? He would be passing up on $17 million; no other team can pay him that much, or would be willing to. The Suns will also have the option of doing sign-and-trade. I think it would be very unlikely that we would lose Marion for nothing. But in the event that we do, right now I think that would put us about $5 million under the cap going into 2008/09 season. That's not really significant, but if we can trade Diaw (and/or trick someone into taking Banks), that will give us enough to sign a top free agent (or two for less). Not sure who would be available next summer, but coincidently didn't Garnett threaten to opt-out too?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I agree that it's very, very unlikely that Marion will opt out, especially if he is still with the Suns.

sunsfn

Reaction score

Joe

Joe,
What is the matter with you lately? George or anyone else has the right to say they are bored with the trading of Marion, and you can certainly disgree with him, and tell him so, but telling someone that maybe they should not read these threads is certainly not just disagreeing with him.
Being a moderator your words carry more weight than others, and you seem to be going after people lately.
You certanly are not acting like a moderator when you say those words above!

sunsfn

Reaction score
So the argument is to trade Marion now lest we lose him next summer for nothing. But what are the chances that he would actually opt-out? He would be passing up on $17 million; no other team can pay him that much, or would be willing to. The Suns will also have the option of doing sign-and-trade. I think it would be very unlikely that we would lose Marion for nothing. But in the event that we do, right now I think that would put us about $5 million under the cap going into 2008/09 season. That's not really significant, but if we can trade Diaw (and/or trick someone into taking Banks), that will give us enough to sign a top free agent (or two for less). Not sure who would be available next summer, but coincidently didn't Garnett threaten to opt-out too?

The suns were trying to trade Marion for KG, they may not want to trade him now, and I have not seen anything that would say they are.

Good post.........:thumbup:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that it's very, very unlikely that Marion will opt out, especially if he is still with the Suns.

I'll go one step further. If the Suns keep him and don't win a championship next season, they will wish he would opt out. If he doesn't, which is unlikely, I think the Suns are more likely to sell the Atlanta pick.

At least by next summer Marion will be an expiring contract. That might make him more marketable and the Suns won't worry about what he thinks.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
The chances of Marion opting out are slim to none IMO. He's not going to pass up 17 mill when no other team is going to pay him that much.

Marion's contract has come back to bite the Suns square in the butt. Sure a lot of teams would love to have him, but at that price? Not many would be willing to take that deal on, nor give up what the Suns are asking in return because Marion is not that kind of player that's going to land you more in return. The Suns will lose pretty much any deal in which he is involved in unless it's somehow for KG, which isn't going to happen.

OP
OP
F-Dog

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Who did they draft as his replacement? Tucker? If so, you've got to be kidding me.

Yes. And no.

To be fair, I didn't claim Tucker would be any good; all I said is that he would replace Marion.

Unspeakably horrible. The fans should burn the USAC to the ground if this trade happens.

Sorry for leaving this one before.

The advantage to that trade is that (with the ubiquitous cash considerations) the Suns could afford to spend most of their MLE in free agency afterward. Besides, I have a hunch that Jasikevicius would get a legit shot at those 12 non-Nash PG minutes, which is more than you can say for some $4m PGs.

That's why I think that trade would be more likely than, say, Harrington and (S&T for) Pietrus.

Not sure what you're talking about here--all those trades were for PFs.

That time in Sacramento may have addled your brain, Gadd. ;)

Vince Carter just opted out in a similar situation. Actually, the market is much tighter this summer than it will be in 2008, so he was taking more of a risk than Marion will be.

The advantage is that he'll get more money on the back end of a new deal than he would if he hit free agency a year later.

The suns were trying to trade Marion for KG, they may not want to trade him now, and I have not seen anything that would say they are.

Since you didn't see it...they tried to trade him for Odom two days ago. :shrug:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you're talking about here--all those trades were for PFs.

That time in Sacramento may have addled your brain, Gadd. ;)

SacTown surely didn't help my thinking process, but I saw at least one post that suggested Grant Hill could replace Marion's production.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
SacTown surely didn't help my thinking process, but I saw at least one post that suggested Grant Hill could replace Marion's production.
Wow.

That's just awful thinking if someone said that. It will take at least 2 players to get anywhere near Marion "statistical" production, let alone the intagibles.

OP
OP
F-Dog

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score

Are we trading for him, too, now?

Now I've got to go back and read through this thread again...I don't want to wind up like Chap. :(

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Vince Carter just opted out in a similar situation. Actually, the market is much tighter this summer than it will be in 2008, so he was taking more of a risk than Marion will be.

I think it's a totally different situation. My guess is he already had a deal in place with New Jersey--sort of an extension without it actually being one. So he opted out not because he wanted to be a free agent, but to simply accomodate this new longer deal.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Are we trading for him, too, now?

Now I've got to go back and read through this thread again...I don't want to wind up like Chap. :(

Maybe I'm just dense, but why exactly am I brought up in this post? Considering I haven't even posted in this thread until now? :confused:

OP
OP
F-Dog

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
what about Marion for AK.....AK makes a couple mil less than Marion, and would be great in our system.

Since the Suns have called about Odom, I assume they've called about Kirilenko, too.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The advantage to that trade is that (with the ubiquitous cash considerations) the Suns could afford to spend most of their MLE in free agency afterward. Besides, I have a hunch that Jasikevicius would get a legit shot at those 12 non-Nash PG minutes, which is more than you can say for some $4m PGs.

Possibly, but Harrington is godawful. We think Marion disappears in the playoffs?

Vince Carter just opted out in a similar situation.

Yes, but Carter's team was on record as saying they still wanted him.

OP
OP
F-Dog

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just dense, but why exactly am I brought up in this post? Considering I haven't even posted in this thread until now? :confused:

I think it's fair to say that you've become one of those legendary posters whose name will always be brought up around here, even when you're not actively posting.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison