Trade speculation: Justin Jefferson to Arizona Cardinals

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
IF Minny were in New Orleans cap situation (and especially prior to an extra $15mm in cap space showing up)

I could imagine the motivation

but -- Minny has $30mm in space this year and plenty in the outyears. They could easily cram a QB and a contract for JJ in there

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you trade for JJ with 27 and a future first, you can then trade #4 down for additional picks, while also having one of the best WR in the league locked up. JJ is much more of a sure thing than anyone you draft.
Can't guarantee that we would get trade offers, especially getting back our # 1 next year. Pretty tough to rebuild a roster without #1 picks.
I also don't want Monti to go after any franchised players. Big hits on cap and draft capital.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Can't guarantee that we would get trade offers, especially getting back our # 1 next year. Pretty tough to rebuild a roster without #1 picks.
I also don't want Monti to go after any franchised players. Big hits on cap and draft capital.
Seemed like the Rams managed pretty well.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jefferson want's $35m. Plus will cost multiple high picks.

This is a completely bogus thread as JJ isn't going anywhere but people would really pay $35m and multiple picks with MHJ and Nabers right there for a fraction of the cost? On a team with a top 10 run split and a QB that hasn't been good downfield for 2 years?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
We are also in theory in Kyler’s physical career prime so need to maximize to a certain degree.

Keeping 4 too allows a bunch of flexibility to address defense or OL.
I'd swap high firsts and give up 27 to get it done. AJ Brown was traded for the 18th overall and a third rounder (101st overall). At that point he'd had one pro bowl season.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hearing a lot about this the last few days. 98.7 FM sports hosts were…
Maybe it’s just me, but the podcast guys seem much more coherent and connected than the FM guys the past few years. I can’t remember the last time I even turned on the radio. I see no value in their broadcasts and can’t stand all the commercials.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe it’s just me, but the podcast guys seem much more coherent and connected than the FM guys the past few years. I can’t remember the last time I even turned on the radio. I see no value in their broadcasts and can’t stand all the commercials.
Kind of limited at work so I'll stream either 98.7 or 910 AM.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Of course you do that. It would mean the Vikings have lost their mind and the Cardinals are happy to take advantage of their weakened state.

However there is ZERO chance the Vikings offer JJ in any trade like that. ZERO!
Zero?

They traded Moss (arguably even better than JJ) for #7 overall, a 7th round pick and Napoleon Harris.

They traded Diggs (probably on par with JJ) and a 7th, for #22 overall, a 5th rounder, a 6th rounder and a 4th the following year.

Like I mentioned yesterday, the Vikings for whatever reason, have a history of moving off of star WRs who are about to get paid...and they don't hold them for ransom.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Of course you do that. It would mean the Vikings have lost their mind and the Cardinals are happy to take advantage of their weakened state.

However there is ZERO chance the Vikings offer JJ in any trade like that. ZERO!
That would be the gist of the trade. There might be swapping of later round picks or something like that. Why wouldn't Minnesota not consider that? They've moved on from Cousins and let Diggs and Thielen go in the past. I think you undervalue how desperate teams are for their QBOF. Moving from 11 to 4 is a pretty big move when there is a top level QB available. I think #11 and next year's #1 has no chance of getting it done.
Throw in JJ is going to get paid and I can see it being a possibility.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Now that is a no brainer, IF as you say MHJ is gone. Shoot, #4 and, say, swap seconds and maybe give our lowest third would be a do.
As big a Marvin fan as I am, I might do it even if he's available. Of course, Minny wouldn't because that would mean the top 3 picks were QB's and they have no need to move up to 4.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes.

How likely do you feel it is that MHJ and/or Nabers and/or Odunze will be a top 5 WR in the NFL?

High.

Not that there is a top 5. At any one time there are like 10 guys interchanging for the top 5. Strongly feel both MHJ and Nabers will be in that mix.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
High.

Not that there is a top 5. At any one time there are like 10 guys interchanging for the top 5. Strongly feel both MHJ and Nabers will be in that mix.
Agreed. MHJ gives me Larry Fitzgerald vibes while Nabers reminds me of Deebo Samuel. Which would you rather have? They’re both great, pick the one that fits your team’s style the most.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Agreed. MHJ gives me Larry Fitzgerald vibes while Nabers reminds me of Deebo Samuel. Which would you rather have? They’re both great, pick the one that fits your team’s style the most.
Larry Fitzgerald played in the NFL for 17 years.

He finished in the top 5 of the league in receptions six times. He finished in the top five for receiving yards four times. He finished in the top five of receiving TDs three times.

Deebo has played for five years, has never finished in the top 10 in receptions, has once finished in the top 10 in receiving yards (fifth in 2021) and once in TDs (7th).

Justin Jefferson has played in the NFL for four years. He's finished in the top five of receiving yards three times. Finished in the top five of receptions twice, receiving TDs once.

People don't really understand the difference between an elite WR and a star.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Larry Fitzgerald played in the NFL for 17 years.

He finished in the top 5 of the league in receptions six times. He finished in the top five for receiving yards four times. He finished in the top five of receiving TDs three times.

Deebo has played for five years, has never finished in the top 10 in receptions, has once finished in the top 10 in receiving yards (fifth in 2021) and once in TDs (7th).

Justin Jefferson has played in the NFL for four years. He's finished in the top five of receiving yards three times. Finished in the top five of receptions twice, receiving TDs once.

People don't really understand the difference between an elite WR and a star.
Or maybe people don't understand what the effect of a good QB, or an offense designed to throw downfield, or an offense with multiple weapons has on WR stats.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Or maybe people don't understand what the effect of a good QB, or an offense designed to throw downfield, or an offense with multiple weapons has on WR stats.
Yeah. Bruce Arians hated going down field. So does Kyle Shanahan.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Bruce Arians hated going down field. So does Kyle Shanahan.
Right, Bruce Arians was coach the entire length of Fitz's career, and Shanahan's only offensive weapon is Deebo.

Let's just induct Jefferson into the HOF.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Right, Bruce Arians was coach the entire length of Fitz's career, and Shanahan's only offensive weapon is Deebo.

Let's just induct Jefferson into the HOF.
Counting stats are good, too! Being a top 15 WR for almost two decades is an insane accomplishment. But there's a reason Larry Fitzgerald was an eleven-time pro bowler but only once earned All Pro honors.

The elite is super-hard to get into, and it's not predictable who ends up there. I'm not arrogant enough (HA!) to suggest that I can tell the difference between a guy who can and will be a top 20 WR and a top 5 one.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zero?

They traded Moss (arguably even better than JJ) for #7 overall, a 7th round pick and Napoleon Harris.

They traded Diggs (probably on par with JJ) and a 7th, for #22 overall, a 5th rounder, a 6th rounder and a 4th the following year.

Like I mentioned yesterday, the Vikings for whatever reason, have a history of moving off of star WRs who are about to get paid...and they don't hold them for ransom.

You are comparing apples to oranges though.

Moss had issues on and off the field and the Vikings were done dealing with them.

Diggs had issues not showing up to practices and meetings.

Jefferson has been nothing but a model teammate. He is as Elite as they come and is only 24 years old. In his first 4 seasons he has already amassed 5900 yards receiving more than any other WR (1300 more that Fitzgerald in his first 4 seasons). Plus he is still under contract.

The Vikings would be insane to give him away for a first round pick and change. I very highly doubt their new GM will let that happen. He knows how valuable Jefferson is and he is eventually going to make him the highest paid WR in the league.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The Vikings would be insane to give him away for a first round pick and change. I very highly doubt their new GM will let that happen. He knows how valuable Jefferson is and he is eventually going to make him the highest paid WR in the league.
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

--Robert Oppenheimer

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard