Trade speculation: Justin Jefferson to Arizona Cardinals

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I know I'd hate it if we passed on the chance to draft this year's Anton Harrison(last year's #27 pick) and a likely mid 1st rounder next year for arguably the best WR in football.
Especially when we could use all that money we saved on not signing JJ to an extension and bring in the key free agents like Zach Pascal, Carlos Watkins, LJ Collier and Kris Boyd.
It's hilarious that people think the Cards are going to bring in premier UFA's when they have NEVER done that. But, hey, keep that cap space available. Or as good ole Rod Graves used to say, keeping the powder dry.
Now MHJ is arguably the best WR in football, without playing a snap in the NFL? I guess we're all arguably the best at football.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Which you are saying is not the way to build a team...you are stating you should build through the draft. (unless I am missing something)

I have stated I don't believe the Cardinals are going to add multiple, high level FAs. Maybe they do, and I am wrong. Happy to be. But if I am correct, it is much safer to trade draft picks for a player like Jefferson than pinning our hopes that we draft a guy who we hope is as good as Jefferson in a couple years.

Ultimately Solar, the facts are that you are risk averse or at least take a risk adverse mindset in speaking about football and roster building. IMO, that mindset doesn't win you titles in the NFL.
No, you build through the draft and supplement with free agency. This team has been playing with a bare cupboard and a dearth of cheap young talent for at least half a decade now. We have done absolutely nothing to build a sustained core that can win. Keim hamstrung us with awful deals on old free agents with deferred years and was literally the worst drafting GM in the NFL.

We don't even have to add multiple, high level FAs, just guys that deserve to be on an NFL field as a starter, instead of rolling trash out there like Antonio Hamilton as CB #1, a guy who probably wouldn't even be a #2 on most rosters.

I'm not at all risk averse. I want to be smart about it. Every year, regardless of the player, there's someone here who wants to pull a Ricky Williams kind of trade where we just trade away all of our picks, give away mega contracts, then proclaim that "the cap doesn't exist" and meanwhile we stay exactly where we are... a team severely lacking in talent across the board.

We already have a bare bones roster. Money isn't a problem.
Picks are a problem. We should be picking young, homegrown players who are cheap so when we're actually in the spot where one guy turns us into a contender, then the move makes sense. This isn't the NBA. Jefferson, Kyler, McBride, and a bunch of loser minimum free agents aren't going to take us to the playoffs like Durant, Booker, and Beal.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
He can be those things while simultaneously being too expensive to acquire sensibly. Especially given the opportunity cost between him and a guy like MHJ or Nabers.
At this point it's all academic.

The Vikings likely aren't dumb enough to allow a possible HOF talent leave. And the true value for a player of his caliber is more than the Cardinals would ever pay.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
No, you build through the draft and supplement with free agency. This team has been playing with a bare cupboard and a dearth of cheap young talent for at least half a decade now. We have done absolutely nothing to build a sustained core that can win. Keim hamstrung us with awful deals on old free agents with deferred years and was literally the worst drafting GM in the NFL.

We don't even have to add multiple, high level FAs, just guys that deserve to be on an NFL field as a starter, instead of rolling trash out there like Antonio Hamilton as CB #1, a guy who probably wouldn't even be a #2 on most rosters.

I'm not at all risk averse. I want to be smart about it. Every year, regardless of the player, there's someone here who wants to pull a Ricky Williams kind of trade where we just trade away all of our picks, give away mega contracts, then proclaim that "the cap doesn't exist" and meanwhile we stay exactly where we are... a team severely lacking in talent across the board.

Picks are a problem. We should be picking young, homegrown players who are cheap so when we're actually in the spot where one guy turns us into a contender, then the move makes sense. This isn't the NBA. Jefferson, Kyler, McBride, and a bunch of loser minimum free agents aren't going to take us to the playoffs like Durant, Booker, and Beal.
I think the key that you are missing is that you could use five picks in the first round on WRs and very likely none would be close to the talent that Jefferson is. Being able to acquire a guy who is on a hall of Fame trajectory at a premium position is well worth more than TWO first round picks.

Now that I have argued against the logic, I will agree, I don't think it's necessarily wise to make a move (if available) like this because you miss out on the cap savings of a young rookie which has value of its own. It's telling that a guy like Jefferson is way more valuable when he has two plus years of controlled cost. Teams really value that. Look at Jalen Ramsey's trade. The first time he was traded, the Rams had to give up two #1s, but got very little of that back when they traded him to the Dolphins.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I think the key that you are missing is that you could use five picks in the first round on WRs and very likely none would be close to the talent that Jefferson is. Being able to acquire a guy who is on a hall of Fame trajectory at a premium position is well worth more than TWO first round picks.

Now that I have argued against the logic, I will agree, I don't think it's necessarily wise to make a move (if available) like this because you miss out on the cap savings of a young rookie which has value of its own. It's telling that a guy like Jefferson is way more valuable when he has two plus years of controlled cost. Teams really value that. Look at Jalen Ramsey's trade. The first time he was traded, the Rams had to give up two #1s, but got very little of that back when they traded him to the Dolphins.
Well, let me reassure you that I'm not missing that point. Justin Jefferson has been flatly amazing. He's young, and would have an adequate QB here, to continue hopefully putting up similar numbers.

But yes, I agree with the second part of your discussion. If JJ came available for a couple of 3rds and our 25 1st, maybe I say go for it.

But not right now with the great, young, cost-controlled options ahead of us.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You know you can do both, right.

Tyreek Hill cap hit on year one of his mega deal...12.8 mil.

Quinnen Williams cap hit in year 1 of his mega deal...6.4 mil.

So...Justin Jefferson...AND Madubieke/Wilkins...AND Joe Alt....AND 31 mil in cap space.

That's why I said OVER 4 years, and not just this year.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Why didn't you protest on all the other meaningless threads of 8 pages or more on players would are most likely not available!?

:)
I’ll never understand a poster complaining about a thread in which they have no interest. No one forces you to read any thread. There are myriad threads in which I have no interest. If I went in and bashed each thread (a) I’d have a lot less time in my hands; (b) it unnecessarily criticized posters who might be enjoying a conversation; and (c) I’d be a lot more hated on the cards board (maybe (c) is not possible).

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I’ll never understand a poster complaining about a thread in which they have no interest. No one forces you to read any thread. There are myriad threads in which I have no interest. If I went in and bashed each thread (a) I’d have a lot less time in my hands; (b) it unnecessarily criticized posters who might be enjoying a conversation; and (c) I’d be a lot more hated on the cards board (maybe (c) is not possible).
Oh, I think with just a little bit of effort, you can be the most vilified poster on this board. The real question is, do you want to put in the effort?
:lol::D

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
That's why I said OVER 4 years, and not just this year.
It doesn't matter. The Cardinals 2026 roster right now is Murray, Elijah Higgins, and the 2023 draft class. Jefferson does not have any negative long-term financial impact to the Cardinals because they only have two players that weren't drafted last year signed past 2025.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It doesn't matter. The Cardinals 2026 roster right now is Murray, Elijah Higgins, and the 2023 draft class. Jefferson does not have any negative long-term financial impact to the Cardinals because they only have two players that weren't drafted last year signed past 2025.
Imagine ranking future cap flexibility as a high concern after winning eight games over the past two seasons combined.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Picks are a problem.
We should be picking young, homegrown players who are cheap so when we're actually in the spot where one guy turns us into a contender, then the move makes sense. This isn't the NBA. Jefferson, Kyler, McBride, and a bunch of loser minimum free agents aren't going to take us to the playoffs like Durant, Booker, and Beal.
This is a great plan for Monti to get fired.

None of this is reality.

The first bolded section is because we have not been able to add young, impactful talent. Adding Jefferson would do that more certainly than a lottery ticket draft pick.

Adding a bunch of mid level talent gives a bunch of mid level results.

No one is advocating giving up the entire draft for Jefferson. You are making that up.

The cap doesn't exist when you will have 168 mil next year.

Picks aren't a problem. Talent is the problem. Picks are no guarantee to give up results and production. They are a gamble.

The Cardinals have no long term commitments so Murray, McBride and Jefferson and 52 1 mil players wouldn't even come close to the cap floor.

Again, you are risk averse in terms of your posts on this board. Paralysis by analysis.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I literally made a thread about the players under contract in 2026 and it got dismissed by ***some people*** as too far in the future to matter.

Absolutely bizarre.
With bad teams, often all you have is long term hope. The lure of potential and turning all draft picks into gold is more attractive than winning in the present.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson