Trade speculation: Justin Jefferson to Arizona Cardinals

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool. Neither is as good as Justin Jefferson right now. I like Chase and Julio was good for a while. Neither were or are as good as Jefferson.
Cool… How many playoff victories and SB appearances did all those gaudy stats produce for the Minnesota Vikings? I remember Julio and Jamarr playing in SBs…

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Disagree. We need actual NFL talent so we can see actual improvement, not lottery tickets. Pinning your hopes to the draft vs adding young, proven, star NFL talent is pretty silly.

The hypocrisy of the board on this matter is funny. One on hand you have pretty much everyone admitting the draft is a gamble, a crap shoot at worst and blackjack at best. However, those same people are arguing against giving up those gamble draft picks in favor of a 24 year old player at a premium position which helps Kyler, fills a need, and is one of the top 5 players at his position in the NFL.

I mean, the hope is MHJ comes close to JJ level, but it is far from guaranteed.
We need actual NFL talent across the roster. And that's not coming if we blow our wad on Justin Jefferson.

The draft is a bit of a crapshoot, but there's definitely almost no way to win in the NFL if you don't succeed at it. Eventually if you trade everything away and pay big "proven stars," you'll have a bare bones roster with a few unhappy fantasy football stars rotting away on a team that can't win.

It's like some of you have been playing too much Madden.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
MHJ is the best WR prospect since Julio. Nabers is as good a prospect as Ja"Marr Chase.

I can see the argument for both sides but I’m pretty confident MHJ will be in the Julio/AJ realm of player. I wouldn’t put anyone in Calvin’s company though…. Besides it’s not just JJ vs MHJ, it’s MHJ at $25m less a year on a roster full of holes.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
You are comparing apples to oranges though.

Moss had issues on and off the field and the Vikings were done dealing with them.

Diggs had issues not showing up to practices and meetings.

Jefferson has been nothing but a model teammate. He is as Elite as they come and is only 24 years old. In his first 4 seasons he has already amassed 5900 yards receiving more than any other WR (1300 more that Fitzgerald in his first 4 seasons). Plus he is still under contract.

The Vikings would be insane to give him away for a first round pick and change. I very highly doubt their new GM will let that happen. He knows how valuable Jefferson is and he is eventually going to make him the highest paid WR in the league.
Maybe JJ is beginning to have some off field issues of his own?????

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
The trade compensation is getting less and less.
The 35M is almost a deal killer itself. a WR on a rookie deal and 30M + spent on the OL would far outweigh trading for a player looking to get paid. Doing the dance with that girl and not willing to pay the price is troubling. She may have baited him, but now there is a child born who had no say in the situation. Take care of the kid

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a bit of a troll job/clickbait. This is like a reverse Larry Fitzgerald (Don't try without stretching).

That said, I'd trade for JJ in a heartbeat if the comp was #27 + 2025 first. Then pay him all the money.

I was going to joke we should trade them Larry in return.

I agree it's almost assuredly just some guy on BR speculating.

But yeah if the price were right I'd do it

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cool. Neither is as good as Justin Jefferson right now. I like Chase and Julio was good for a while. Neither were or are as good as Jefferson.

I didn't say they were those players. I said they were the best prospects since those players.

I don't need to spend $35m per year vs $10m per year and give up more draft capital so I can get 1600 yards from Jefferson vs 1400 from MHJ/Nabers. And both those guys have the potential to be as good as or better than Jefferson.

I mean, Nabers is LSU's all time leading receiver surpassing Jefferson, Chase and all others with a worse QB.

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't say they were those players. I said they were the best prospects since those players.

I don't need to spend $35m per year vs $10m per year and give up more draft capital so I can get 1600 yards from Jefferson vs 1400 from MHJ/Nabers. And both those guys have the potential to be as good as or better than Jefferson.
Correct.

In a vacuum, would Jefferson be great to have - sure. But when you factor in losing $25 Million/year that can be used on other players, loss of a high (or multiple) draft picks that would be cost-controlled for 4-5 years, it doesn't make sense.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
And @Chopper0080 to follow up, handing Justin Jefferson a big bag also prevents us from going out and adding "proven" NFL talent in free agency.
Which you are saying is not the way to build a team...you are stating you should build through the draft. (unless I am missing something)

I have stated I don't believe the Cardinals are going to add multiple, high level FAs. Maybe they do, and I am wrong. Happy to be. But if I am correct, it is much safer to trade draft picks for a player like Jefferson than pinning our hopes that we draft a guy who we hope is as good as Jefferson in a couple years.

Ultimately Solar, the facts are that you are risk averse or at least take a risk adverse mindset in speaking about football and roster building. IMO, that mindset doesn't win you titles in the NFL.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Correct.

In a vacuum, would Jefferson be great to have - sure. But when you factor in losing $25 Million/year that can be used on other players, loss of a high (or multiple) draft picks that would be cost-controlled for 4-5 years, it doesn't make sense.
I am going to pick on you a bit. This is an uninformed take. There are situations where this can be true, but for the Cardinals, it isn't. Currently, with DJ Humphries on the books, the Cardinals have 18 players under contract for 2025. That is one year from now. They have a total of 151 million in cap space. If they cut DJ, they will have 167 million. The 5th best player on the roster would be Michael Wilson or Garrett Williams.

Money is not an issue. Proven talent is the issue.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
We need actual NFL talent across the roster. And that's not coming if we blow our wad on Justin Jefferson.

The draft is a bit of a crapshoot, but there's definitely almost no way to win in the NFL if you don't succeed at it. Eventually if you trade everything away and pay big "proven stars," you'll have a bare bones roster with a few unhappy fantasy football stars rotting away on a team that can't win.

It's like some of you have been playing too much Madden.
We already have a bare bones roster. Money isn't a problem.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to pick on you a bit. This is an uninformed take. There are situations where this can be true, but for the Cardinals, it isn't. Currently, with DJ Humphries on the books, the Cardinals have 18 players under contract for 2025. That is one year from now. They have a total of 151 million in cap space. If they cut DJ, they will have 167 million. The 5th best player on the roster would be Michael Wilson or Garrett Williams.

Money is not an issue. Proven talent is the issue.
They have to sign another 35 players. That will eat up that cap space, if they do go for proven talent. Signing to huge contract AND giving up draft picks, nope.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison