Top available coaches with NBA head coaching experience?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Igor defenders, Ayton haters, Booker apologists. Why do these crap labels exist on this forum? Of course we all see things differently. And because the team is really struggling right now I guess it makes sense to attack posters?

is "Igor defender" really an attack? There's lots of people who still stridently believe in Igor. What else are you supposed to call that? Maybe, I should call them Igor fans?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is "Igor defender" really an attack? There's lots of people who still stridently believe in Igor. What else are you supposed to call that? Maybe, I should call them Igor fans?

Are there? Of the "Igor defenders" I see more people defending against the assertion that he's the main problem rather than insisting he's the solution.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
All I know is if the Suns REALLY wanted Budenholzer, there's an old saying, you don't let them leave the complex. I know it takes two sides, but I think many suspect not all was offered that could have been offered to keep Budenholzer here when we had him interviewing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it has looked like Igor had defenders no matter the circumstance. This may have been true early in the season.

There were posters who defended Igor earlier, myself included, when he came under unfair attack in regard to his communication skills specifically in regard to his accent.

Also a number of posters wanted to give him a fair chance since he inherited a team without a point guard and a power forward. I think Igor got the short end of the stick in regard to this.

Posters who have supported Igor simply want to give him a fair chance.

As the season has worn on, I have real concerns how he uses Ayton particularly up high... away from the low post. Also the Suns defense could be much better.

I'm to the point now where Igor needs to show progress. He has had time to to bring the team together and put a better product on the floor. Seventeen losses in the row is not going to cut it.

Since Tyler Johnson has arrived I think he has a piece to use at point guard to better evaluate his coaching.

Johnson is not the answer but he is as close to a point guard the Suns are probably going to get this season. I expect to see much improved play by the Suns down the stretch. If not warning lights should be flashing.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I know is if the Suns REALLY wanted Budenholzer, there's an old saying, you don't let them leave the complex. I know it takes two sides, but I think many suspect not all was offered that could have been offered to keep Budenholzer here when we had him interviewing.

This is just speculation on my part but I don't think Bud ever really wanted the job. He might have been willing to take it if the right things were on the table (oversight on draft and FA decisions for example) but I think we were just a leverage point for him.

Atlanta wanted something in return for Bud and initially they only approved him interviewing with us, probably because we had a lot of draft picks and young players and might be willing to part with some of them. When it became clear that we weren't going to give them anything, they were pretty much forced to allow him to interview where he wanted which IMO was what he was waiting for. I think we desperately wanted him but he had enough local connections to know he was better off avoiding this job.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I find it difficult to understand that anyone is defending Suns management in any way.

They have ruined our team. And embarrassed our community. Last season the Suns were called a laughingstock.

This season they are projected losers in every single game they play. And they have lived down to it, with very few exceptions.

The Suns are a failure, from top to bottom. They have not proven otherwise and give us no hope for gain right to the present.

How can that be alibied? Why should it be? It is way past the point of defending.
I don't think its defending as much as just wanting to be accurate.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is just speculation on my part but I don't think Bud ever really wanted the job. He might have been willing to take it if the right things were on the table (oversight on draft and FA decisions for example) but I think we were just a leverage point for him.

Atlanta wanted something in return for Bud and initially they only approved him interviewing with us, probably because we had a lot of draft picks and young players and might be willing to part with some of them. When it became clear that we weren't going to give them anything, they were pretty much forced to allow him to interview where he wanted which IMO was what he was waiting for. I think we desperately wanted him but he had enough local connections to know he was better off avoiding this job.
I agree with this.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

Budenholzer one of the most decorated coaches and by far the best coach available has no need to use the Suns as leverage for anything.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Budenholzer one of the most decorated coaches and by far the best coach available has no need to use the Suns as leverage for anything.

The Hawks front office did NOT want to let him go without some compensation. If you'll recall, they did not grant him permission to interview with anyone else until after it became clear we were not willing to include the first they reportedly wanted. But they didn't want to pay his full salary so they were at an impasse. Maybe leverage isn't the right word but the point was, we were just a stepping stone for him. Once it was public knowledge that he was interviewing for the Suns Head Coach position it would have been an absurd PR decision to force him to stay when they didn't want him there in the first place.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Eh... I think Budenholzer would have taken the job if Milwaukee didn't hire him, the Bucks roster clearly offered more appeal.

In other words... if the Suns had Giannis on the roster then Budenholzer would be our coach.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think we would be marginally better with Bud as our coach. Our roster would have severely limited the quality of product he could have put onto the floor. He went into a great situation with the Bucks with an MVP candidate level player, a couple other borderline all star talents and some solid veterans as well. He simply would not have had all of that with the Suns. To top that off he can stay in the East where the overall competition and schedule is easier.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we would be marginally better with Bud as our coach. Our roster would have severely limited the quality of product he could have put onto the floor. He went into a great situation with the Bucks with an MVP candidate level player, a couple other borderline all star talents and some solid veterans as well. He simply would not have had all of that with the Suns. To top that off he can stay in the East where the overall competition and schedule is easier.

I'm not totally over Koko, I think he is in a rough spot, especially for a rookie head coach. If we bring in a respectable GM and that person wants to give Koko more time, then I am totally on board.

But I do think we'd be better under Bud. He demands effort and has a clear system, especially defensively. We've got several players openly questioning what their role is and giving flat out depressing quotes about how the team quits when the going gets tough. Granted, it is difficult to hold players accountable when the guys who you'd yank them for are preforming even worse in all the same ways, but I don't think the players would doubt their roles. If Koko survives to year 2 then I hope that becomes a focus of his, working with each player as an individual, letting them know what he expects of them, because right now it seems like everyone is stumbling around with little guidance or accountability.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn