Too good to Pass Up

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It seems like most on this forum, myself included, would like to see a playmaker drafted on the defensive side of the ball with our first pick. But what if all of our targets are off the board at #29? Which offensive players would be too good to pass up if for some reason or another they fell to us? And please, don't be "That Guy" that has to say there's no chance they will be there! I get it, chances Tunsil drops are just over zero, but this list isn't going to be that long anyways. Thanks for the participation!

Here's my list:

1. WR LaQuon Treadwell Ole Miss- Future #1 WR. Big, Physical WR to take over for Fitz/Floyd.

2. OT Laremy Tunsil Ole Miss- I'm not going to pass on the next Jason Peters because Humphries might turn out. If that happens there are plenty of teams in desperate need for OT's and we can make a trade.

3. QB Jared Goff Cal- My only worry about him is his weight. If he can do that I think he is a great prospect to take over for Palmer after one year.

4. QB Carson Wentz NDSU- I think BA will love all his physical tools, his leadership and toughness. Obviously he needs time to develop, but by all accounts he is a quick learner.

5. RB Ezekiel Elliot Ohio St- This one is tough because I love David Johnson's future. But in this league RB's get hurt and I feel like they will both get plenty of touches and with DJ's ability to line up out wide, they can both be on the field together at times. The reason that makes this possible in my eyes is that Elliot is not only a excellent receiver, but he is considered one of the best RB's picking up blitzes in the pass game. This means we would have two young versatile RB's for years to come. They will also stay fresh by not being forced to be overworked.

***WILD CARD***
The actual reason I started this thread was because of this player who I think has a chance to be a star!

WR Braxton Miller Ohio St- Up until this weeks Senior Bowl I hadn't put much thought into him. But after watching him practice this week and listening to all the reports from analysts and DB's facing him, I am starting to realize that this kid is special. I assumed that he would be very raw as far as routes and technique, but that isn't the case. While he isn't there yet, it is simply amazing how fast he has developed in one year at the position.

This is a special athlete. 6-1 204 and has a goal of 4.28 at the combine. Probably won't but I doubt he would predict that if he wasn't going to be close. He's smart, physical and very competitive. Imagine an offense with Smokey, Braxton, Larry, Floyd, DJ and Niklaus. Then when Niklaus goes down with a hair line fracture of his hair, we will still have Smokey, Braxton, Larry, Floyd and DJ!

Now go ahead and rip it apart!

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Not a chance Treadwell Wentz Elliott or Goff. are there at our pick. 0%

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Do you think if the Cardinals had a do-over in last year's draft would they have picked RB David Johnson or WR/PR Tyler Lockett instead?

How many games did those two rookies help their teams win?

Game changers are worthy of the highest draft picks regardless of their position or where the pundits predict them to go.

I think this is a great post---because people spend way too much time believing in Mel Kiper's Big Board and the whole so-called "value" of picking a player when.

Wanna talk about value? Value is winning games and finding the players who give you best chance to do so.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
They're typically not fun players to draft, or even speculate about, but we need to stop looking at shiny objects. We have enough of those. We need the girders, the steel. We need high quality players for the interior. Both sides. Doesn't help that jury is out on DJ Humphries, and almost retired on cooper.

OP
OP
Ohcrap75

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not a chance Treadwell Wentz Elliott or Goff. are there at our pick. 0%

DING DING DING... We have a winner of the "That Guy" award. And you thought that your completely worthless point was so good you had to post it twice. Why don't you go back to studying Mel Kiper Jr's big board to see exactly where every player will go.

Mitch

Reaction score
I would add LB/SS Su'a Cravens of USC. This kid would be the perfect fit in our defense. Imagine having a trio of playmakers, ballers and tacklers like Tyrann, Deone and Su'a.

OP
OP
Ohcrap75

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
They're typically not fun players to draft, or even speculate about, but we need to stop looking at shiny objects. We have enough of those. We need the girders, the steel. We need high quality players for the interior. Both sides. Doesn't help that jury is out on DJ Humphries, and almost retired on cooper.

I totally agree with this point on offense. But I don't know if drafting someone like Taylor Decker is really going to make that much of difference. On defense I think we have plenty of grinders but we need a shiny object that can get after the QB.

OP
OP
Ohcrap75

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I would add LB/SS Su'a Cravens of USC. This kid would be the perfect fit in our defense. Imagine having a trio of playmakers, ballers and tacklers like Tyrann, Deone and Su'a.

I would love to hear your opinion on if you think a guy like Cravens or Daron Lee would be able to line up next to Deone? I know they are both undersized, but having two players that have the ability to attack the QB or drop into coverage is exciting.

Mitch

Reaction score
I would love to hear your opinion on if you think a guy like Cravens or Daron Lee would be able to line up next to Deone? I know they are both undersized, but having two players that have the ability to attack the QB or drop into coverage is exciting.

Imo, it would be our version of Willis and Bowman, both of whom never had to come off the field. And, think of how better equipped we would be to chase down mobile QBs like Wilson and Newton. In this day and age, if you can rush the passer with 4, and have LBers who never have to come off the field---man---you can go all the way.

Buckybird

Reaction score
DING DING DING... We have a winner of the "That Guy" award. And you thought that your completely worthless point was so good you had to post it twice. Why don't you go back to studying Mel Kiper Jr's big board to see exactly where every player will go.

Watch.

And people laughed at me saying we should've drafted Stephone Anthony & most saying he wouldn't be a 1st rounder.

OP
OP
Ohcrap75

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Imo, it would be our version of Willis and Bowman, both of whom never had to come off the field. And, think of how better equipped we would be to chase down mobile QBs like Wilson and Newton.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this could work! Deion Jones, Terrance Smith and Antonio Morrison are players that I like that should be available after the first round as well.

Buckybird

Reaction score
Imo, it would be our version of Willis and Bowman, both of whom never had to come off the field. And, think of how better equipped we would be to chase down mobile QBs like Wilson and Newton. In this day and age, if you can rush the passer with 4, and have LBers who never have to come off the field---man---you can go all the way.

Let's hope we can add a LB in the 1st 2 rounds because they neglected it last year. Ugh

I still have concerns about Buc playing there for the long haul Mitch. Those last 3 games he was getting crushed in the run game because of his size & ability to take on blockers.

Could a guy like Sheldon Rankins help him by blowing up the middle? I luv this guy especially his pass rush.

This team needs to get nastier & better in the middle of both lines IMO if it's going to take the next step.

Mitch

Reaction score
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this could work! Deion Jones, Terrance Smith and Antonio Morrison are players that I like that should be available after the first round as well.

Having just watched us get torched two years in a row in the playoffs by speedy, playmaking (so-called undersized) linebackers---I am all-in on drinking whatever they are drinking.

OP
OP
Ohcrap75

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Watch.

And people laughed at me saying we should've drafted Stephone Anthony & most saying he wouldn't be a 1st rounder.

This is why I don't waste time trying to figure out where one of a million so called experts predict where a player may or may not go. I just like to judge for myself what players I think would be a good fit for the Cardinals. Who cares where Kiper thought Anthony should go last year. He doesn't know crap. I would rather hear your opinion on if you think he could make an impact on our team.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

you're pretty much describing he 2013 Cards D. Rush the passer with Old Abe, CC, DD and Williams (with a blitzer sometimes) and have Dansby/Washington on the field at all times. With PP and HB behind them... man, that D was sick. They had speed and multiple playmakers at EVERY level of the D. Our D as was this year, really just had the secondary making plays. Can't win football with a D built outside in.

Mitch

Reaction score
Let's hope we can add a LB in the 1st 2 rounds because they neglected it last year. Ugh

I still have concerns about Buc playing there for the long haul Mitch. Those last 3 games he was getting crushed in the run game because of his size & ability to take on blockers.

Could a guy like Sheldon Rankins help him by blowing up the middle? I luv this guy especially his pass rush.

This team needs to get nastier & better in the middle of both lines IMO if it's going to take the next step.

You said it about the lines---as for Deone, he played very well. How many ILBers in this league can toss off blocks? I haven't seen many. But it goes back to your point about the defensive line---the whole point of having a playmaker and baller like Deone at WILB is keeping him free. When Calais Campbell, who is on Deone's right side of the defense, is on his game and penetrating, that keeps Deone clean.

Buckybird

Reaction score
This is why I don't waste time trying to figure out where one of a million so called experts predict where a player may or may not go. I just like to judge for myself what players I think would be a good fit for the Cardinals. Who cares where Kiper thought Anthony should go last year. He doesn't know crap. I would rather hear your opinion on if you think he could make an impact on our team.

I'm giving you my opinion on all those players & Anthony as well not Kipers.

I don't think any of those guys will be a available to us unless we make major trades up, so that's why I'm not talking about them as potential Redbirds.

Buckybird

Reaction score
You said it about the lines---as for Deone, he played very well. How many ILBers in this league can toss off blocks? I haven't seen many. But it goes back to your point about the defensive line---the whole point of having a playmaker and baller like Deone at WILB is keeping him free. When Calais Campbell, who is on Deone's right side of the defense, is on his game and penetrating, that keeps Deone clean.

So we should be targeting an edge rusher & DE/NT in round 1-2. But will they address both at those spots?

Do you have thoughts about Rankins?

Mitch

Reaction score
So we should be targeting an edge rusher & DE/NT in round 1-2. But will they address both at those spots?

Do you have thoughts about Rankins?

Rankins has explosive hips and quick feet---plus an excellent motor. He's an interior rusher who could help immediately in the 4 man rush.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score

:thumbup: The Mel Kipers of the world are wrong more than they are right. ;)

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do you think if the Cardinals had a do-over in last year's draft would they have picked RB David Johnson or WR/PR Tyler Lockett instead?

I'd still want DJ at that point. We're deep enough at WR that we wouldn't need Lockett and DJ has had a fine season as well. Yard wise DJ had a better season with 1,038 combined yards with 12 TD's while Lockett had 680 yards and 6 TD's. They each had a kickoff return for a score and Lockett had a punt return for a score. IMO DJ had a better season and yet Lockett is the all pro. If we're talking do overs, I would hope taking Shaq Thompson instead of Humphries in the first round would be the one.

OP
OP
Ohcrap75

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
you're pretty much describing he 2013 Cards D. Rush the passer with Old Abe, CC, DD and Williams (with a blitzer sometimes) and have Dansby/Washington on the field at all times. With PP and HB behind them... man, that D was sick. They had speed and multiple playmakers at EVERY level of the D. Our D as was this year, really just had the secondary making plays. Can't win football with a D built outside in.

Exactly!! If we only had our present offense to go with that D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn