Tons of seats left

Feeble Mcjackson

Registered
Reaction score
Good job cardsloco.

Feeble must pertain to his memory. The game he is thinking of is the Denver preseason game last year.

You are right about Denver but no, there were actually several games last year. Miami was one and the other was the Rams game at the end of the season. Some were just not publicized.

Again, i feel like a broken record here but i'm not mistaken, i'm not making things up. These are facts folks.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
You are right about Denver but no, there were actually several games last year. Miami was one and the other was the Rams game at the end of the season. Some were just not publicized.

Again, i feel like a broken record here but i'm not mistaken, i'm not making things up. These are facts folks.

Feeble (man that cracks me up), you sound like a broken record to us as well... You claim to have "facts" that counter several posters claims in this thread. Produce the facts or just shut the hell up about it...

How anyone couldn't accept that the current economic conditions would impact ticket sales is ridiculous... Phoenix has an unemployment rate that's over 8% now - the actual figure is most likely higher.
And if you haven't been laid off, there is a very good chance you have suffered some form of a paycut, in many cases this means more than a 10% reduction in pay. Add to that increases in health coverage costs, gas, food... I can easily see how the economy is impacting ticket sales.
In fact, I cut back on the number of seats I have strictly because of the economy.

Can't believe I entered this discussion.... :bang:

cardsloco

Registered
Reaction score

This is a crazy question, if they weren't publicized, how did you find out about these games having the blackout lifted by television, sponsors, or the Cardinals? I find that hard to believe in today's information sharing society that something like this happened in secret.

P.S The only one I know of is when Leslies bought a few hundred or so and offered them to people who spent 100 dollars in their stores.

Carddan

Average Fan
Reaction score
+1

As I have said before, I was raised a 49ers fan, but have been going to Cards games and trying to jump ship since I was 14. That is not an easy transition to make, but the day that woman took over the 49ers and began destroying the franchise, it became much easier. I know I am not alone in this sort of sentiment. The Card's have (had?) an uphill battle when they came here, and it appears it is FINALLY going their way. You just have to take it for what it is, and instead of cursing new fans for being bandwagoners, welcome them into the fold and hope they are in for the duration.

Split, I was a born and raised Steeler fan (stop booing me). I get what you are saying and agree 100%. I became a Cardinals are my #1 team when they moved to Phoenix and I knew this was my home for life. I know there are people that have lived and mostly died with this franchise a lot longer than me. I respect them, they have earned it. That does not make me less of a fan. All 5 of my kids bleed Cardinal red. It is people like you, Splitsecond, that make a great fan base.

FeebleFan, I don't really disagree with what you're saying. I just don't think it HAS to be that way. We make this fan base what we want it to be. WE can change the perception. This is exactly why I put on clown makeup and act like a cheerleader. I accept the reality of the transplants to our valley. My goal is to convert them to Cardinal fans by example, not by tearing them down. Show them how much fun it is to root for the home team and be part of something rising from the ashes like a phoenix. WE DO THIS TOGETHER. Admit that it is better than it was and help take us to the next level!

Feeble Mcjackson

Registered
Reaction score
Feeble is a better handle for you, as I think your memory is feeble. I won't blindly throw something up and expect you to believe it, instead I will just post a nice link or two for you.

http://www.kpho.com/sports/17450350/detail.html

or

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/125592

No where in the stories does it mention television, or a sponsor, or the team for that matter, buying the remaining tickets. I think if a sponsor stood up and bought the tickets it would want to get the publicity that comes along with it, as the case with Leslie's pools last year.

I understand you believing that your comments are facts, that happens when your memory goes, but that belief does not make it so. Oh, and please provide a link to the teams that are buying their own tickets, I am curious to see that. One last thing, here is the link to another article about the economy affecting ticket sales.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11800373

Happy reading!

ha! yes my memory is feeble but when multiple people who work in the FO within the cardinals organization tell me that the team and the tv station are buying the remaining tickets then I tend to believe them. Reason both the tv station and the team would do something like this is because the profits from the broadcast far exceed the cost of buying hundred of upper bowl tickets.

Why would they promote this? Every team lies about the attendance telling the press and the public the tickets sold number other then the actual attendance. Do you think the Cardinals want you to know they are having trouble selling tickets? They want you to think it's the hottest ticket in town. The tv station and the team buy the tickets, give them to charity, and that way its a tax write off and they get the game on tv. Nobody knows the better and everyone wins.

Here is an article where the chargers had not only the NFL network purchase tickets to prevent a blackout but also a local station.
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/weblogs/chargers/2008/dec/02/expected-blackout-lifted/

Carddan

Average Fan
Reaction score
Why would they promote this? Every team lies about the attendance telling the press and the public the tickets sold number other then the actual attendance. Do you think the Cardinals want you to know they are having trouble selling tickets? They want you to think it's the hottest ticket in town. The tv station and the team buy the tickets, give them to charity, and that way its a tax write off and they get the game on tv. Nobody knows the better and everyone wins.

Man, I am trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, but if it is in the best interests of the team and everyone wins by not talking about it, why are you? I would rather be wrong and win than to be right and be a loser.

Feeble Mcjackson

Registered
Reaction score
FeebleFan, I don't really disagree with what you're saying. I just don't think it HAS to be that way. We make this fan base what we want it to be. WE can change the perception. This is exactly why I put on clown makeup and act like a cheerleader. I accept the reality of the transplants to our valley. My goal is to convert them to Cardinal fans by example, not by tearing them down. Show them how much fun it is to root for the home team and be part of something rising from the ashes like a phoenix. WE DO THIS TOGETHER. Admit that it is better than it was and help take us to the next level!

I 100% agree with you Dan. With the team coming into it's own the fan base is getting bigger and it is a lot better then it used to be and it is up to us to convert people into cardinals fans. I have 2 tickets and every game I take different friends to the game at my own expense and give them the full cardinals experience with a Tailgate, food, beer, whole nine yards. In the last two years I have convinced 3 friends to get there own season tickets which is awesome and has helped make the tailgate bigger and better.

i'm sure everyone of you have similar stories

Feeble Mcjackson

Registered
Reaction score
Man, I am trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, but if it is in the best interests of the team and everyone wins by not talking about it, why are you? I would rather be wrong and win than to be right and be a loser.

Well Dan I guess I would rather be right and be a loser. My momma told me "the truth shall set me free"

Carddan

Average Fan
Reaction score
Well Dan I guess I would rather be right and be a loser. My momma told me "the truth shall set me free"

In life, I totally agree with you, but this is football where "winning isn't the most important thing, it's the only thing". (I'll see your momma and raise you a Lombardi, no disrespect)

I'm glad you're a Cardinals fan. I even welcome fair weather fans and bandwagon jumpers. We are getting to where we want to be, it is all part of "the process" as Coach would say.

What do you say together we make this the greatest year ever for the Cardinals ...the economy be damned!

Lloydian

Registered
Reaction score
I, too, don't see how anyone could miss the economy's impact on season ticket sales. Before last season, the team was coming off an 8-8 season and had just bumped up prices significantly. Still, when the dust settled on season ticket sales, there were 2,000 on the waiting list (season tickets were available, much like this year, in portions of the stadium with lighter demand).

How else do you explain the best performance of their Valley of the Sun history being followed by less intense season ticket sales? Who could seriously suggest that going to a Super Bowl would result in people jumping off the bandwagon? To quote James Carville, "It's the economy, stupid!"

Regardless, anyone who is determined to see the Cardinals play will either get to the game or it will be on TV, and most, if not all, of the games will sell out anyhow.

cardsloco

Registered
Reaction score
ha! yes my memory is feeble but when multiple people who work in the FO within the cardinals organization tell me that the team and the tv station are buying the remaining tickets then I tend to believe them. Reason both the tv station and the team would do something like this is because the profits from the broadcast far exceed the cost of buying hundred of upper bowl tickets.

Here is an article where the chargers had not only the NFL network purchase tickets to prevent a blackout but also a local station.
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/weblogs/chargers/2008/dec/02/expected-blackout-lifted/

I never said that television doesn't sometimes buy tickets, I said it hasn't happened here since the new stadium. The article you presented was a national broadcast to the nations number 2 market. Not quite the same thing. In fact you have presented no evidence that NFL teams are buying tickets to prevent blackouts. In some markets they cover seats to help ensure a sellout, but must do so for the entire season.

As far as the front office gossip, I find that amusing. We can find out from multiple sources about the team contacting players, contemplating cutting a player, player negotiations, but the secret they are best at keeping is buying tickets and donating them to charity.

You understand that the game is still broadcast everywhere else it was to be broadcast so the big profit you are claiming that television stands to lose, has no merit. When a sponsor steps up the only benefit it gets is the publicity of the gesture. As witnessed by your article, the NFL bought the tickets and it was published for all to see.

You said this happened five times last year yet there is no evidence of it. Keep looking maybe you might find one indisputable fact to back your argument, you just haven't done it so far.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
"Honey, should we keep the car and the air conditioning in the house, or renew the cards tickets?"

^part feeble is missing.

Feeble Mcjackson

Registered
Reaction score
"Honey, should we keep the car and the air conditioning in the house, or renew the cards tickets?"

^part feeble is missing.

Instead of focusing on one family why don't you focus on the whole picture here. Sure there are some families that can't afford tickets but out of the 4.5 million people that live here I am sure there are well over 85,000 people who can. It's funny how the economy made it hard to sell out the Falcons wild card game but it sure wasn't a factor in the Conference Championship.

Again what i'm trying to get at is many people, not all use the economy as a blanket excuse these days. We have seen with sports that even in down economic times if the demand is high (ie championship contender) that tickets will so no matter what. Has anyone watched the NBA Finals? At the beginning of the season the magic could not give away seats. Now they have been sold out through the entire playoffs and already have a record number of people purchasing season tickets for next year.

It just seems to me that winning and championships are the biggest cures for people who can't afford tickets because of "the economy". You show me a team that constantly wins and wins championships and I will show you a sold out arena no matter what the economy is like. A yahoo blogger said it best and i paraphrase "If Wrestlemania is still selling out then the economy can't be THAT bad."

Feeble Mcjackson

Registered
Reaction score
I never said that television doesn't sometimes buy tickets, I said it hasn't happened here since the new stadium. The article you presented was a national broadcast to the nations number 2 market. Not quite the same thing. In fact you have presented no evidence that NFL teams are buying tickets to prevent blackouts. In some markets they cover seats to help ensure a sellout, but must do so for the entire season.

As far as the front office gossip, I find that amusing. We can find out from multiple sources about the team contacting players, contemplating cutting a player, player negotiations, but the secret they are best at keeping is buying tickets and donating them to charity.

You understand that the game is still broadcast everywhere else it was to be broadcast so the big profit you are claiming that television stands to lose, has no merit. When a sponsor steps up the only benefit it gets is the publicity of the gesture. As witnessed by your article, the NFL bought the tickets and it was published for all to see.

You said this happened five times last year yet there is no evidence of it. Keep looking maybe you might find one indisputable fact to back your argument, you just haven't done it so far.

A) teams don't divulge all of there tickets sales information
B) Yeah, it's pretty easy to keep a secret since news publications don't find it particularly "news worthy". You really think they go out and interview the sales staff and drill them about how many tickets are really left?
c) next time you watch a Cardinals game check out the tv ad's and figure out which ones are local and which ones are national. I mean come on, the local roomstore ad's don't air to a national audience.

Feeble Mcjackson

Registered
Reaction score

No, what I actually said is that it has happened over 5 times since they moved into the new building. I did not say it happened 5 times last year. I pointed out 2 that I knew of. One being the Miami game but that was not as many, and the big one being the Rams game.

cardsloco

Registered
Reaction score
A) teams don't divulge all of there tickets sales information
B) Yeah, it's pretty easy to keep a secret since news publications don't find it particularly "news worthy". You really think they go out and interview the sales staff and drill them about how many tickets are really left?
c) next time you watch a Cardinals game check out the tv ad's and figure out which ones are local and which ones are national. I mean come on, the local roomstore ad's don't air to a national audience.

A) If they are not divulging all of their ticket sales information, how did you find out about these tickets being bought to insure the sellout?

B) A team headed for the playoffs for the first time since 98 and the game not selling out is not newsworthy? Yet the following week not selling out was one of the biggest stories across the country, and it was indeed published for all to see that a pool company bought the tickets.

C) I understand how the local ads work.The Rams game which had no bearing on our playoff chances, the Rams having little following here in the valley, and the Rams with a terrible season record, was not going to draw a huge rating. Yet you are claiming that local Fox affiliate bought thousands of 45-55 dollar tickets for the profit they could make from local stores such as the "Roomstore".

You are really starting to reach and again base your entire arguments with no facts.

ryanshaug

Registered
Reaction score
I have to agree with Feeble on this one. The fan base in Phoenix is horrible. And realistically, we aren't talking about anyone on this board, because these are some of the hardcore fans. There has been a strong core for the Cardinals ever since the days of SDS, which I was a part of as well, but the problem is the majority of the fans in Phoenix are just BAD fans. They only cheer for winners and only when they are winning. This is one of the worst bandwagon cities I have ever seen.

Now all that being said, as Shane said, yes the economy is hitting the core of the fanbase. I'd have season tickets if I weren't just now recovering from being laid off in January. I still am holding out hope that I can get some in the middle of the summer. Although part of me hopes I can't, because that means we'd be sold out.

The other part mentioned is winning. Winning will retain SOME fans, but I've become disillusioned over how fair weather most fans in the Valley are. I'm happy we have the core fans we do, but I do think its not right to blame just the economy for not selling out...have to blame the city and its fairweather fans too :/

So now that I've totally just repeated what others have said, I feel better about my bitterness a little. Nothing to see here :)

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This hijacked thread has gone stupid. Time to fix it. Feeble, you win. We suck. Feel better?

Bring on training camp.

Feeble Mcjackson

Registered
Reaction score
ha, your right skkorpion, this thread has gone on too long my bad im done. I just wish the light bulb would turn on so to speak for the rest of the valley as it has for us on the ASFN boards. But on the positive side at least I have you guys and the ASFN board to share my cardinals love with.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson