Timeouts taken to prevent play clock penalty

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
To make things worse.... You can't pin the problem on kyler or kliff

When kliff missed the game against Cleveland for covid they burned 3 timeouts

When kyler missed his 3 game stretch they burned 5 in that span
So it’s as I surmised, they are both to blame. Just like everything else with this team. The combo of keim, kliff and kyler is just too dysfunctional.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It seems kliff gets the call in late... Kyler doesn't have urgency... On Kliff to get the play in faster

There's no such thing. The final 15 seconds are always the QBs. If you can't get lined up in that time that's on the QB.

There's no world where its in much earlier. They have to wait for defensive subs to help them decide the call.

OP
OP
Tyler3450

Tyler3450

All Star
Reaction score
There's no such thing. The final 15 seconds are always the QBs. If you can't get lined up in that time that's on the QB.

There's no world where its in much earlier. They have to wait for defensive subs to help them decide the call.
OH listen I think kyler has zero urgency and is a slug other than when he runs the ball....

But if I know that.... Shouldn't the head coach.. Meaning kliff gotta give him more time.

Bigger issue is kliff is owned by kyler and is not a leader of men.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OH listen I think kyler has zero urgency and is a slug other than when he runs the ball....

But if I know that.... Shouldn't the head coach.. Meaning kliff gotta give him more time.

Bigger issue is kliff is owned by kyler and is not a leader of men.

I don’t understand the give him more time? The standard for all NFL QBs is 15 seconds that’s why communication is shut off. Why should Kyler be special and have more time by getting the play in even earlier? Now your rushing the coach and his decision for calling a play? Does that sound optimal?

OP
OP
Tyler3450

Tyler3450

All Star
Reaction score
I don’t understand the give him more time? The standard for all NFL QBs is 15 seconds that’s why communication is shut off. Why should Kyler be special and have more time by getting the play in even earlier? Now your rushing the coach and his decision for calling a play? Does that sound optimal?

Kyler shouldn't but...... Here we are lol.

Kyler is in charge. Is anyone going to debate that?

I get we all want him to magically grow up.... But it's gonna take a no non sense adult in the room to fix this.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
It was pretty easy actually.... With the NFL app and NFL+ every game is available.

And ESPN has every timeout time stamped when you go to each games play by play.

It took about 2 hours to review last night
Nice, but where can I find this extra 2 hours in a day?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
clearly there is a bad combo of:

taking too much time getting the play in

--- AND the right players in on time: some of those delays have been because the Cards sub players in late, thus giving the D time to sub -- and other coaches have figured out that if the O subs late enough in the clock, they can casue a delay of game call

other times, i see Kyler just lose awareness of the playclock

OP
OP
Tyler3450

Tyler3450

All Star
Reaction score
My main concern is kyler too far gone.... Like even if you brought in a no non sense coach does that matter as kyler knows he's untouchable with his contract.

OP
OP
Tyler3450

Tyler3450

All Star
Reaction score
clearly there is a bad combo of:

taking too much time getting the play in

--- AND the right players in on time: some of those delays have been because the Cards sub players in late, thus giving the D time to sub -- and other coaches have figured out that if the O subs late enough in the clock, they can casue a delay of game call

other times, i see Kyler just lose awareness of the playclock
Kyler definitely does that at times.

Kliff has also had his share of lot realizing the situation either. Not knowing the down for example. Not knowing a guy wasn't out of bounds. Not knowing that you didn't pick up the first down.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
one other thing i would point out:

they are running more pre snap shifts and motion than in prior years-- that takes that last 5 secs or so of play clock

that extra time needed is exposing a process that wasn't good to begin with

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It is baffling how this keeps happening in YEAR 4 of the grand experiment. When a clueless coach sends in plays to a clueless QB this is what you get. Maybe Kliff gets the plays in with the 15 seconds to go and Kyler then farts around to cause the situation, BUT in YEAR 4 Kliff should have lit a fire under Kyler's butt a long time ago to get the play lined up and ran quicker. After all, isn't Kliff the Head Coach? This is just another example of the ineptitude Kliff brings. It's something that should be fairly easy to fix but is apparently not to this coach and QB.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No, that’s the nfl deadline it’s not when all coaches get the play in. Most get it in much earlier. Watch games today and see when good teams break their huddle. The play is in much earlier than at 15 seconds. Then watch ours.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Would be interesting to know what is the league average for number of these kind of TOs. Got a couple of hours to go back and count our opponents too?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, that’s the nfl deadline it’s not when all coaches get the play in. Most get it in much earlier. Watch games today and see when good teams break their huddle. The play is in much earlier than at 15 seconds. Then watch ours.

That’s still the standard that the league has set. 15 seconds is more then enough time to get your team to the line set and snapped. Yet making excuses for Kyler that he somehow can’t frequently accomplish this task seems quite silly. And yes I say that knowing Kliffy sucks too…

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Remember that Cardinals Bengals preseason game this year? The cleanest, most mistake free preseason game ever played by the Cardinals? Just looked it up. 2 penalties for 20 yards.

What was different? No starters. Vanilla offense?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That’s still the standard that the league has set. 15 seconds is more then enough time to get your team to the line set and snapped. Yet making excuses for Kyler that he somehow can’t frequently accomplish this task seems quite silly. And yes I say that knowing Kliffy sucks too…

Exactly my point.

Every other team in the league runs this way. The last 15 seconds are the QBs. Everything before is the coaches.

He already plays football like no other QB in the league. He's barely allowed to be touched. He's the only QB running the same offense his whole career. He's the only QB ever paid after year 3 who hasn't won a playoff game.

And now he's apparently to have more time than anyone else to get set.

Last edited:

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Remember that Cardinals Bengals preseason game this year? The cleanest, most mistake free preseason game ever played by the Cardinals? Just looked it up. 2 penalties for 20 yards.

What was different? No starters. Vanilla offense?
Two word answer in your first question.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
But that doesn’t take the substitutions into consideration which we’ve seen a bunch as issues. There’s plenty of blame for kliff and kyler as Tyler provided evidence of earlier.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least this issue got cleaned up today!

Wheeeeeee!!!!!’

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson