15 in first 8 games
On pace to average 2 a game

OP
OP
Tyler3450

Tyler3450

All Star
Reaction score
I only counted timeouts that were taken with 4 or less seconds on play clock.....

I could have counted a few others..

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just of curiosity how did you go back and watch every single timeout for both years? I can’t even imagine how much time that would take to sort through and watch? Do you work? Lol

OP
OP
Tyler3450

Tyler3450

All Star
Reaction score
Just of curiosity how did you go back and watch every single timeout for both years? I can’t even imagine how much time that would take to sort through and watch? Do you work? Lol

It was pretty easy actually.... With the NFL app and NFL+ every game is available.

And ESPN has every timeout time stamped when you go to each games play by play.

It took about 2 hours to review last night

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Id say 97- 2000
in 97 I was 11
So I don't remember when it became like religious for me. (somewhere in there)

I remember in 2002 is when I could drive and go to games almost every home game at sun devil....

Awesome! twenty years qualifies you for the special Cardinal's fan "pain and suffering" pension payment. :)

So post more often man. You'll fit right in on this awesome board. I mean, these guys and gals are legit Tyler, I promise.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Awesome! twenty years qualifies you for the special Cardinal's fan "pain and suffering" pension payment. :)

So post more often man. You'll fit right in on this awesome board. I mean, these guys and gals are legit Tyler, I promise.
This post is gold.

If you read the fine print you’ll find it states “payments to be made verified emotional anguish.”

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It was pretty easy actually.... With the NFL app and NFL+ every game is available.

And ESPN has every timeout time stamped when you go to each games play by play.

It took about 2 hours to review last night
I’m not only impressed with you taking on the project, but in creating a process to make it efficient.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ahhhhhh, good ol efficiency. A foreign concept to the Big Red.
Love it when fans refer to the Cardinals as Big Red. Most of my friends from the St. Louis area always corrected me (New York State guy) when I called them the Cardinals. They always said the baseball team was the Cardinal’s & the football team was the Big Red. Apparently, that used to frustrate Bill Bidwill & he would tell the media to call his team the Cardinals. BB always felt like his football team was the red headed stepchild of St. Louis, which of course, they deserved to be.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Went & watched every timeout the Cardinals took in 2021 & so far in 2022

Timeouts in 2021 burned due to play clock expiring
18 (17 in first 11 games)
An average of 1 per game

Timeouts in 2022
15 in first 8 games

Nice work. The only question I have is do you not think 4 seconds is too wide? I would expect delay of game TOs to be taken with max 1 second on the clock. 4 seconds could easily be not liking a look you are getting.

If you want an easier way to do this you can scrape all NFL play by play data using the method below.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Tyler3450

Tyler3450

All Star
Reaction score
I‘m impressed, I really appreciate the effort, but I’m guessing most of us would have said this is is way too common without counting them.
LOL i felt the same but I really wanted to know...

OP
OP
Tyler3450

Tyler3450

All Star
Reaction score
Nice work. The only question I have is do you not think 4 seconds is too wide? I would expect delay of game TOs to be taken with max 1 second on the clock. 4 seconds could easily be not liking a look you are getting.

If you want an easier way to do this you can scrape all NFL play by play data using the method below.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Honestly only 2 (from memory) were at 3-4 second mark and they were clear they had lost track of time.....

All the rest are litteraly when the clock is running out

OP
OP
Tyler3450

Tyler3450

All Star
Reaction score
To make things worse.... You can't pin the problem on kyler or kliff

When kliff missed the game against Cleveland for covid they burned 3 timeouts

When kyler missed his 3 game stretch they burned 5 in that span

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

Now this is the epitome of the conundrum we face looking at the Cardinals. I think the only logical assumption is the offense that Kliff has constructed, right? My main reservation with Kliff when hired was not his offense but his game management (hence, stuff like that) and wonder what his timeout behavior was at Texas Tech... no, I am not asking you to expose yourself to trying to find that out lol

OP
OP
Tyler3450

Tyler3450

All Star
Reaction score
Now this is the epitome of the conundrum we face looking at the Cardinals. I think the only logical assumption it is the offense that Kliff has constructed, right?
Many of the time you could clearly see its the sideline getting the play call in at 12-15 seconds....

There was a terrible play in one of the games (can't remember) where kliff just doesn't know whats going on..... We caught the ball and kliff thought our player got out of bounds so he didn't call timeout..... By time he realized clock was running it killed us.

Kliff is in over his head

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Many of the time you could clearly see its the sideline getting the play call in at 12-15 seconds....

There was a terrible play in one of the games (can't remember) where kliff just doesn't know whats going on..... We caught the ball and kliff thought our player got out of bounds so he didn't call timeout..... By time he realized clock was running it killed us.

Kliff is in over his head
I think Kliff on the positive side might be fine as just an OC but head coach is too much on his plate. Really, there is a reason you have a head coach, and two separate entities called an OC and a DC. Yeah, you have exceptional guys which can handle both and multitask that at the highest level, but Kliff is clearly not one of them... and now looking at it, that snafu with Kyler sliding late and spiking the ball revolves around Kliff giving him inaccurate info on the headset because you do not have time to argue with a guy who's supposed to be your boss and know what the hell is going on

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I believe it is no small part to always being in the shotgun.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Went & watched every timeout the Cardinals took in 2021 & so far in 2022

Timeouts in 2021 burned due to play clock expiring
18 (17 in first 11 games)
An average of 1 per game

Timeouts in 2022
15 in first 8 games

I wish I knew you were doing that. I asked in a separate thread if someone would look at ever TO we took in opponent's red zone and see if the following play that was called during the TO was successful or not. To me, that is what will decide the necessity of the TO vs just taking a 5 yd penalty for DoG.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson