"The Tugboat"
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/azetc/0412tillman0412.html

Tillman family waits for war news
Communication cut off as parents of brothers Pat, Kevin keep hope

Tim Tyers
The Arizona Republic
Apr. 12, 2003 12:00 AM

Attorney Patrick Tillman of Alameda, Calif., has no problem figuring what to do with his time anymore.

"I watch a lot of television . . . a lot of television," said Tillman, father of Pat and Kevin Tillman, each of whom walked away from professional sports careers to become Army Rangers who are now deployed in Operation Iraqi Freedom.

"The problem is, though, they (TV commentators) don't ever talk about special (operations) forces, other than an occasional reference to them now and then."

Tillman's eldest son Pat, a former Arizona State football star, shunned a three-year, $3.6 million contract as a safety for the Arizona Cardinals in the aftermath of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks to join the Army. Younger brother Kevin, who played baseball at Arizona State, put a minor league baseball career on hold to also join.

After watching their sons' athletic exploits for years, Patrick and Mary Tillman can only watch, wait, wonder and pray these days. The same applies for Pat Tillman's wife, Marie.

"It beats me," Patrick Tillman said on Friday, when asked how his sons are doing. "They're not allowed to communicate with us. They can't call us, and we can't mail them.

"It's not a lot of fun. Playing waiting games is not a great thing. We haven't heard anything about them, so I guess that is good news. We knock on wood a lot. But I expect things to go well. They're good kids, and they know how to take care of themselves."

Patrick Tillman said his sons, who are a part of the 75th Ranger Regiment, were deployed "well before things kicked off."

"It's hard to say anything until they get back," he said. "Then I'll be happy to shoot my mouth off."

Tillman said his family appreciates all the support it has received. Among the calls the Tillmans received recently was one from ESPN, informing them that the Tillman brothers will be awarded an ESPY award to recognize the sacrifice they have made and their code of silence about doing so.

"I thought it was very nice that ESPN is honoring the boys, not that they are any different from all the others who are over there," Patrick Tillman said. "But that's been our point about shutting up about this all along."

OP
OP
az643dp

az643dp

"The Tugboat"
Reaction score
This is the most we have heard from the Tillman family. It leads me to believe that more will come of this when the war is over. As always, our thoughts are will all of our wonderful men and women who serve.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn