Thor

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
I think it looks like a lot of fun, aside from a stupid black Loki. Honestly, political correctness has just gotten out of hand. If I had any kind of Norse in me, I'd raise high hell. I bet if I made a movie about Malcolm X and cast a white dude in it, I'd be run out of the country. But nooo, it's okay to take an obviously white deity and make it black.

So, yeah, that's pretty stupid, but the movie itself looks good.

Umm, I think you are confused. Tom Hiddleston is playing Loki and he is very, very white.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1089991/

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Umm, I think you are confused. Tom Hiddleston is playing Loki and he is very, very white.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1089991/

My bad, as I got the wrong god. Heimdall is being played by a black actor. While he's a lesser god, he is a Norse god, a very white Norse god. It is repugnant to me, and it should be repugnant to anyone, that a black actor is playing a white god.

Oh, I know, I know, I'll get the racist label, but the double-standards in society today are sickening. Black Norse god...how dare I suggest this is wrong? If a filmmaker tried to make a movie with a Norwegian Mohammed, the Middle East would revolt, and Hollywood would explode. Similarly, we used to be a male-dominated society, so naturally today it is okay for the majority of advertisement to be made up of rampant man-bashing. Sadly, we're a country that rights gross wrongs by going to the extreme opposite. No one can dare say reverse-discrimination or anything similar, because minorities are now sacred cows.

Ugh. I know, this shouldn't set me off like it has, but crap like this idiotic casting is just the icing on the cake. Stupidity like this has been happening for years, from major problems like the abuse of the never-should-have-been-implemented Affirmative Action to smaller things like man-bashing becoming not just fashionable, but favorable. I would say it seems like being a white male is a disadvantage in our society today, but that would be an understatement; we are often looked down on just for our race and gender.

Oh well. I'll get blasted for this, and it'll only serve to prove my point.

But really. A frickin' black Norse god? That is worse than a joke--it is a slap in the face to those of Norse heritage. It means that authenticity counts for absolutely nothing, regardless of the fact that it is a comic book movie.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh. I know, this shouldn't set me off like it has, but crap like this idiotic casting is just the icing on the cake.

I feel you. I love Michael Clark Duncan but I am sorry - the Kingpin in Marvel comics is a huge white guy. Ridiculous casting MCD as Kingpin in Daredevil, IMHO. And you're right - if they took a black character from the comics and made him white on the big screen there'd be an uproar over it.

:soapbox:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marvel (in the comics) based the character of Heimdall on the mythological god named Heimdallr:

In Norse mythology, Heimdallr is a god who possesses the resounding horn Gjallarhorn, owns the golden-maned horse Gulltoppr, has gold teeth, and is the son of Nine Mothers. Heimdallr is attested as possessing foreknowledge, keen eyesight and hearing, is described as "the whitest of the gods", and keeps watch for the onset of Ragnarök while drinking fine mead in his dwelling Himinbjörg, located where the burning rainbow bridge Bifröst meets heaven.

:biglaugh:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this one looks really good. I'm WAY more excited for this one than Green Lantern, and even looking forward to it more than Captain America.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree - from the trailer - it looks good. The casting is still ridiculous, but I'm still looking forward to it.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Stout in this case, though I don't have an issue with other characters like Kingpin being re-cast as a different race.

In fact, I could even get on board with a black Loki in the case of Thor. Isn't he Odin's adopted son? They could easily write in an explanation for the difference in race into that storyline.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
I've got a bad feeling about this one. Marvel's been pretty good so far but this one looks like a flop to me. Hope I'm wrong.

I was worried for a while about this movie though I am no longer worried and think this is going to be a solid movie and make a ton of cash. So far it has a 93% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes with 27 or 29 reviews fresh (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1197233-thor/).

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Just saw it with the wife last night and was plesantly surprised and pretty well acted.

I had no idea Kenneth Brannaugh was the director.

I thought it would be campy and it wasn't at all. The guy who played the main villian was really good at it. I'll give it two hammers up.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thor

Release Date: May 6, 2011 (3D/2D and IMAX 3D theaters)
Studio: Paramount Pictures, Marvel Studios
Director: Kenneth Branagh
Screenwriter: Ashley Edward Miller, Zack Stentz, Don Payne
Genre: Action, Adventure, Fantasy
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for sequences of intense sci-fi action and violence)

Starring: Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleston, Anthony Hopkins, Rene Russo, Stellan Skarsgard, Jaimie Alexander, Kat Dennings, Ray Stevenson, Josh Dallas, Tadanobu Asano, Idris Elba, Clark Gregg, Colm Feore, Samuel L. Jackson

Plot Summary: Paramount Pictures and Marvel Entertainment present the epic adventure, "Thor," which spans the Marvel Universe from present day Earth to the realm of Asgard. At the center of the story is the mighty Thor (Chris Hemsworth), a powerful but arrogant warrior whose reckless actions reignite an ancient war. Thor is cast down to Earth by his father Odin (Anthony Hopkins) and is forced to live among humans. A beautiful, young scientist, Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), has a profound effect on Thor, as she ultimately becomes his first love. It's while here on Earth that Thor learns what it takes to be a true hero when the most dangerous villain of his world sends the darkest forces of Asgard to invade Earth.

You must be registered for see images attach

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my review... first thirty minutes AWESOME... next 60 minutes eh... next 30 minutes AWESOME.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This movie looks incredibly gay.. A dude with an oversized hammer? Really?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thoroughly enjoyed it!

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This movie looks incredibly gay.. A dude with an oversized hammer? Really?
You know, Gee, we get it. You don't like comic book movies. It's cool. The rest of us will enjoy ourselves and you can go on being an angry you man.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know, Gee, we get it. You don't like comic book movies. It's cool. The rest of us will enjoy ourselves and you can go on being an angry you man.

wth man.. you been drinking? haha.. i like spiderman movies..

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
I saw it on Saturday. Pretty good. It had good dialogue and a good story, not something you typically find with over the top action-comic movies. It's definitely something worth seeing. The action scenes were good, and they spaced them out just right.

Is it me or has Natalie Portman been in about every movie that's come out in the last 6 months?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard