This now is Keim's Team

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is Keim’s team, no doubt. He is really the decision maker now. He hired KK and helped him build his staff. He was very active on acquiring free agents and basically ran the draft. He is getting the players KK needs to be successful. None of this is surprising given the fact that KK is a college coach with no NFL experience other than a backup qb years ago. It's also not a criticism as there are many GMs in the NFL that run the show. The big difference probably is that they hire coaches with some NFL experience. It is a gamble and as many have already said can cost Keim his job. But I like the fact that change was needed and that we are going all out and not playing the conservative role. Bottom line, as a season ticket holder, I am looking forward to the season and even going to the preseason games. That is a first for me.

You must be registered for see images attach

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I did mention awhile back that it looks like they could adopt the same philosophy as the Rams and a few other teams around the league...where you have your coordinators(one being "head coach") and then the GM will really be in charge of all the true decision making. I heard this a few times being mentioned and it now seems like it could be a possibility around here now.. maybe Keim didn't have as much control as we thought when Arians was in town, and he and MB had enough. Especially MB. I think the Amos thing could have been confirmation of that as well. Jmo

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep, Keim's fingerprints are all over this offseason and draft. KK said that he shared input with Keim but he basically sat back and observed because it was his first draft.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I have it on pretty good authority that Keim has lost a lot of “juice” within the organization since his DUI.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This is Keim’s team, no doubt. He is really the decision maker now. He hired KK and helped him build his staff. He was very active on acquiring free agents and basically ran the draft. He is getting the players KK needs to be successful. None of this is surprising given the fact that KK is a college coach with no NFL experience other than a backup qb years ago. It's also not a criticism as there are many GMs in the NFL that run the show. The big difference probably is that they hire coaches with some NFL experience. It is a gamble and as many have already said can cost Keim his job. But I like the fact that change was needed and that we are going all out and not playing the conservative role. Bottom line, as a season ticket holder, I am looking forward to the season and even going to the preseason games. That is a first for me.

You must be registered for see images attach

One advantage bringing in a college coach gives is that they are intimately more knowledgeable on college players since they are actively involved in scouting (recruiting)

This was one of the edges Pete Carroll had early in his time with the Seahawks.

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep, Keim's fingerprints are all over this offseason and draft. KK said that he shared input with Keim but he basically sat back and observed because it was his first draft.

Yeah, that was very apparent in the Cards wrap up draft video

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I was thinking this team had Bidwill’s fingerprints on it moreso than any Cards team since they were pinching pennies in the 90’s.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was thinking this team had Bidwill’s fingerprints on it moreso than any Cards team since they were pinching pennies in the 90’s.
Yeah.. this is almost feeling like MB is the rudder that is steering this ship as of now. The push for being in the forefront of the league has to come from an owner and this is great news for Cards fans.. imo

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Yeah.. this is almost feeling like MB is the rudder that is steering this ship as of now. The push for being in the forefront of the league has to come from an owner and this is great news for Cards fans.. imo

Can’t say he doesn’t have the stones to make significant changes.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Tossing aside last-season’s first-round QB for another QB the new coach coveted for years while subsequently flooding the WR position is not a Keim draft. This was 100% Kliff Kingsbury’s draft.
You hire an offensive coach and then go QB with the #1 pick you better get some weapons to make it go

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Yeah, that was very apparent in the Cards wrap up draft video
Like watching anything related to the Cowpies..Jerry in the front and Garret in the back making coffee

Last edited:

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
It sure does seem like Kiem went with more production this year rather than looking for that gem from a small school. It seems he has learned from past mistakes and is drafting much smarter. We will see

DRM08

Veteran
Reaction score
Tossing aside last-season’s first-round QB for another QB the new coach coveted for years while subsequently flooding the WR position is not a Keim draft. This was 100% Kliff Kingsbury’s draft.

Yep, looks to me like the owner gave Kliff a ton of power...way more power than any of us expected when he was hired.

I do not believe the GM would have hired a failed college coach with zero NFL coaching experience. The GM's job is on the line, so why would he make that kind of decision?

More logical scenario is the owner wanted the next Sean McVay and forced the GM to hire Kliff. The emphasis on QB/WR in the draft also has the appearance that the owner has given Kliff the power to pick his roster on that side of the ball.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep, looks to me like the owner gave Kliff a ton of power...way more power than any of us expected when he was hired.

I do not believe the GM would have hired a failed college coach with zero NFL coaching experience. The GM's job is on the line, so why would he make that kind of decision?

More logical scenario is the owner wanted the next Sean McVay and forced the GM to hire Kliff. The emphasis on QB/WR in the draft also has the appearance that the owner has given Kliff the power to pick his roster on that side of the ball.
Who knows. Maybe MB is the true GM now and is just keeping Keim around to run the scouting department and do the dirty work along with McDonough. I could see it..

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I have it on pretty good authority that Keim has lost a lot of “juice” within the organization since his DUI.

3-13, and having pretty much every key personnel decision leading up to that season blow up in your face will do that too

i also think that getting humbled like that, and then having what looks like a pretty solid draft are also related

we will see