This Is Us (NBC)

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
OK, I never watched this show until the wife and I watched every episode in the last week. Whew, what a great show!!! Not sure what to say 82, but is seems like you turned out like Jack, in spite of the odds. And that doesn't happen by accident.

Thx buddy. I don’t believe things “just happen” in our lives... you can call it Karma, or “spirits”, or whatever... but the way and the timing of how I stumbled onto this show is incredible to me, particularly since I don’t watch network TV - EVER!
The show is therapy for me, literally... and I love every second of it... wish it were on every night.

Passepartout

July 4th Fireworks
Reaction score
Really think that the show even has the SB spot on NBC after in the hopes of driving more viewers. And really not just critically but it is the #1 show over NCIS I heard.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh man... that was a gut-punch... and I'm not sure I liked it.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Oh man... that was a gut-punch... and I'm not sure I liked it.

But, in some form or fashion, can’t we all relate to what Kevin is going thru?
Whether it’s some level of dysfunction with your dad... or, having a dream squashed by an unexpected tragedy/life event... or simply the feeling of never being “good enough” and never “measuring up”...
And speaking from personal experience - and I obviously know I’m not alone - haven’t many of us taken dangerous and irresponsible paths to escape the condemnation and feelings of failure? Alcohol... drugs... and inability to maturely commit to relationships. Yea... I can relate... And yea, not sure I liked it either... but as usual with this show, I was riveted...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But, in some form or fashion, can’t we all relate to what Kevin is going thru?
Whether it’s some level of dysfunction with your dad... or, having a dream squashed by an unexpected tragedy/life event... or simply the feeling of never being “good enough” and never “measuring up”...
And speaking from personal experience - and I obviously know I’m not alone - haven’t many of us taken dangerous and irresponsible paths to escape the condemnation and feelings of failure? Alcohol... drugs... and inability to maturely commit to relationships. Yea... I can relate... And yea, not sure I liked it either... but as usual with this show, I was riveted...

I'm not talking about the majority of the episode. I'm talking about that last beat, which destroyed a story-line only two episodes in the making. Felt manipulative.

Reaction score
Haven't seen this show because it seems like they have something really sad each week. There's enough sadness in the real world that I don't need to watch made up sadness.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen this show because it seems like they have something really sad each week. There's enough sadness in the real world that I don't need to watch made up sadness.

it's got a boatload of both sad and sweet... both really grounded. It tugs on the heartstrings, but not always sad.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

I wouldn't go so far as to say there is too much "sadness" in the show at all... IMHO, they do a masterful job at touching on a broad spectrum of emotions that many of us, knowingly/intentionally or not, have kept buried. Most of the issues tend to be relational issues - Father/Kids, Husband/Wife, Siblings... mixed with very real individual/personal battles that for certain affect the majority of humanity.
Just a tremendously well written, perfected cast and extremely tightly produced show.

Reaction score
I wouldn't go so far as to say there is too much "sadness" in the show at all... IMHO, they do a masterful job at touching on a broad spectrum of emotions that many of us, knowingly/intentionally or not, have kept buried. Most of the issues tend to be relational issues - Father/Kids, Husband/Wife, Siblings... mixed with very real individual/personal battles that for certain affect the majority of humanity.
Just a tremendously well written, perfected cast and extremely tightly produced show.

I get that 82. I'm just saying I have enough of it in real life that I don't need to watch it on tv. The wife & I mainly watch comedies or documentaries. I also like action but the wife not so much. This show is on right after The Voice & we immediately change it.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I get that 82. I'm just saying I have enough of it in real life that I don't need to watch it on tv. The wife & I mainly watch comedies or documentaries. I also like action but the wife not so much. This show is on right after The Voice & we immediately change it.

Oh - I get that too... It's certainly not for everyone and like most shows, depending upon where you are in life, it will resonate or not... This show hits me in all the ways I didn't expect to be hit. And I NEVER even watch network TV...so I guess there is a bit of being pleasantly surprised that is part of my connection to the show as well...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I understand that. I do that too. This show changed my modus operandi. It’s that good.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand that. I do that too. This show changed my modus operandi. It’s that good.

and it's not maudlin... it touches heartstrings in a lot of good ways too. feel like it follows the motto "the sweet's never as sweet without the sour."

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
January opener was absolutely, completely outstanding.... perhaps the very best yet. The way they blended the counselling session, the bar scene and the camping trip, all in a one hour show, was simply awesome. We finally got to see a little more of Miguel, Rebecca's current husband.

How this didn't win every single friggin' Golden Globe award is beyond me. For me, not only is this the best show on TV, it may well be the best show in many years.

Cheese..... What say you? ;)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
January opener was absolutely, completely outstanding.... perhaps the very best yet. The way they blended the counselling session, the bar scene and the camping trip, all in a one hour show, was simply awesome. We finally got to see a little more of Miguel, Rebecca's current husband.

How this didn't win every single friggin' Golden Globe award is beyond me. For me, not only is this the best show on TV, it may well be the best show in many years.

those jerks got me teary-eyed again!

I can't say it was robbed for Emmy's because what I saw of Handmaid's Tale was pretty damn great (all two episodes of it... felt a little too prescient in today's Trump-led world to watch anymore) and there are a couple more shows that I was also blown away by this year.

But it's a spectacular show. Acting, writing, directing. And even more impressive for doing it on network TV.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Got home from work Tuesday all amped up to curl up on the coach with my wife and get into our This Is Us zone... Turn on the TV and 5 mins into the show, BAMM! We hear this loud "Pop!" noise and the screen goes blank! Only sound, no video... My 6 year old 65" Samsung Plasma is dead!!!
Anyway, we watched it on our iPad last night via the NBC app. And yes, it was yet another AMAZING show! Truly, one of the best all-around productions I have ever seen...

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got home from work Tuesday all amped up to curl up on the coach with my wife and get into our This Is Us zone... Turn on the TV and 5 mins into the show, BAMM! We hear this loud "Pop!" noise and the screen goes blank! Only sound, no video... My 6 year old 65" Samsung Plasma is dead!!!
Anyway, we watched it on our iPad last night via the NBC app. And yes, it was yet another AMAZING show! Truly, one of the best all-around productions I have ever seen...

Sorry 'bout your plasma, partner.... i'm still nursing my old 52" panny plasma, and still loving it.

I believe Costco has a big sale right now on their big screens....