Things I Just Know are True

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree on the Kyler thing. Definitely lots of factors.

However, I do believe that Watt was a big piece of our success. It may not have shown up in the stats but he created a lot of issues for the other team while he was playing. And Robert Woods would be like us losing AJ Green or Kirk. We could get by as long as we had Dhop and either Green/Kirk. I think the original poster was right. DHOP=Kupp and Donald is similar to us losing Watt AND Jones. If Donald and Kupp are off the Rams due to injury, that team is nowhere near as good.
Fixed that for you. Donald is the best defensive player of all time regardless of position. Ask me if if I'd rather have 2 pro bowl linemen or one Donald and I take Donald every single time.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Fixed that for you. Donald is the best defensive player of all time regardless of position. Ask me if if I'd rather have 2 pro bowl linemen or one Donald and I take Donald every single time.
I agree with you as far as comparing the individual players. But the original poster was talking about taking their best defensive player and best WR off their team and see what happens. I think Watt or Jones would qualify as that person on our defense, just like Donald or Ramsey would be that guy on the Rams.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rodney Hudson is back. That is good for Kyler.
Cardinals 8-2 with Rodney Hudson, 2-3 without him. Getting him back just in time.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
I am convinced that the primary issue with the o-line is the fact that Kyler is 99% of the time, operating from the shot-gun and uses his stupid clapping sequence to signal for the hike. It is awkward, confusing and dysfunctional. Offensive lineman need consistency, rhythm and reliability. To have to listen for a certain clap sequence to then know it's ok to fire... it's clearly a HUGE issue. And I'm certain it frustrates the hell out of the o-linemen.
Nothing is in sequence. Nothing is reliable. Nothing is on time. And it's due in great part to the fact that Kyler isn't comfy when under center. Ughhhh...
spot on.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Rodney Hudson is back. That is good for Kyler.
Cardinals 8-2 with Rodney Hudson, 2-3 without him. Getting him back just in time.
Sadly, Hudson hasn't been a roaring success with this team. While his positive impact when he plays in unquestioned, he often DOESN'T play. Plus, the snapping issue needs to be resolved.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I agree with you as far as comparing the individual players. But the original poster was talking about taking their best defensive player and best WR off their team and see what happens. I think Watt or Jones would qualify as that person on our defense, just like Donald or Ramsey would be that guy on the Rams.
You can think that but it isn’t true.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That's not just Kyler though that's Kliff's offense. Remember the Raiders preseason game the first year of KK when the ref didn't agree with the earlier NFL ruling and kept calling false starts on Kyler for simulated snap by clapping but not getting the ball? That was all Kliff he said they'd literally invited the NFL to camp to review it and the NFL did and said it was ok. That's Kliff's offense. Murray likes it too but a big reason Kyler hasn't taken snaps under C much in the NFL is Kliff doesn't want him to.

I agree it's a big reason for false starts and all the bad snaps and it's why we have a hard time drawing guys offsides and getting the call, because they're afraid to do fake claps because the ref might call it on us, or someone might jump or snap the ball early.
I would agree to disagree with the clapping being KK's offense. Your post intrigued my interest to watch some videos on Youtube. I watched Patrick Mahomes at Texas Tech, Baker Mayfield at both Tech and Oklahoma, and Kyler Murray at both Texas A&M and Oklahoma.

I didn't see Mahomes or Mayfield at all clapped for a snap at Tech. Mayfield started to clap at Oklahoma but not exclusively. He still alternated hut and clap even in the same game. Murray clapped almost all the time at Oklahoma. However, he did not at Texas A&M. Based on my observation, I would tend to believe the clapping is first the Lincoln Riley thing, then became a Murray thing. Riley introduced the clapping, and Murray took it to another level.

Last edited:

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree that Watt's impact on the defense extended beyond the stat sheet, but any sort of comparison to Donald or Ramsey seems pretty out there to me.

Donald is dominant, in his prime and extremely durable. Ramsey has missed some games in the past, but he is still pretty durable and young. Those are the kind of dudes you count on to be the core of your defense. Not a 32-year-old with serious injury concerns who you need to sign to a huge contract to lure him as a FA.

I think Watt should be seen as more of this team's Von Miller. He still commands attention and raises the play of his teammates, but he shouldn't be counted on as a major cog on a defense that wants to play deep into the playoffs. If he was that player to this team, then we have a poorly constructed team.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would agree to disagree with the clapping being KK's offense. Your post intrigued my interest to watch some videos on Youtube. I watched Patrick Mahomes at Texas Tech, Baker Mayfield at both Tech and Oklahoma, and Kyler Murray at both Texas A&M and Oklahoma.

I didn't see Mahomes or Mayfield at all clapped for a snap at Tech. Mayfield started to clap at Oklahoma but not exclusively. He still alternated hut and clap even in the same game. Murray clapped almost all the time at Oklahoma. However, he did not at Texas A&M. Based on my observation, I would tend to believe the clapping is first the Lincoln Riley thing, then became a Murray thing. Riley introduced the clapping, and Murray took it to another level.

Interesting I will have to watch I have to admit I saw almost no TT when Kliff was there.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Andy Reid was the Cards’ coach they’d be qualified for the playoffs by now. He’s not perfect, but he’s way better than Kingsbury at game plans. Give him this roster, he’d dominate.

If the Cards have a transcendent player, it’s not Murray. Hopkins is why this team dominated. Without him Murray looks confused and maybe even scared.

Looking ahead it’s hard to project the Cards’ draft/free agent targets. Both lines are in disarray. Corners and linebackers present several issues. On offense they have several expiring contracts. Fortunately, Hopkins isn’t one of them.

Kugler has been unable to produce a solid O-line this year. Injuries have hurt but every team has them. They seem to lack the ability to drive block for the running game and they have yet to master creating a solid pocket.

That said, the pocket was good enough for McCoy to use, but Murray shows little interest.

I can’t recall seeing Murray hang in and take a hit to complete a pass. Victory sometimes requires QBs who are willing to pay that price.

Clock management, including TO usage, is one of the hardest skills for a coach to master.

If the defense fails to stop a play, run it again. Maybe not immediately but in the same game.
THIS!
The Cards will make more off-season roster changes than any other playoff team.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listen Kyler was great the first 7 weeks no one can argue that and the numbers bear it out. However he was making bad reads and being hugely successful at completing passes that were a much higher degree of difficulty. Even when he had easier open WRs on the field. It was remarked about all the time in here by commentators etc….. Not even arguable. It wasn’t a big deal because he was still making the big play and making it count. Now he’s not making the big play and passing on those easier wide open WRs.

It Is now coming back to haunt him. His current numbers now reflect that. If you want to say it wasn’t happening just because he was able to actually make the big play on the tighter coverages fine there’s no point in arguing it. But he was doing it.
I say screw the highlight reel play and let’s play more consistent. Don’t abandon the deep throw but for god sakes when the first down is being handed to you and time or score is not a factor TAKE THE FIRST DOWN.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sadly, Hudson hasn't been a roaring success with this team. While his positive impact when he plays in unquestioned, he often DOESN'T play. Plus, the snapping issue needs to be resolved.
Huh? 8-2 with, 2-3 without would seem to me as a roaring success so far..

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
A more random and I-do-not-know-relevant-or-not note: just watched some part of the Purdue VS Tennessee game and the Tennessee QB claped for snap every single time.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
A more random and I-do-not-know-relevant-or-not note: just watched some part of the Purdue VS Tennessee game and the Tennessee QB claped for snap every single time.
Exactly. It’s not a Kyler or Kliff thing exclusively. The clap hike is a college thing. You’re in the NFL now Kliff, grow up.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh? 8-2 with, 2-3 without would seem to me as a roaring success so far..
Nobody is immune right now..... almost everyone is a bust as a draft pick or a free agent.

That's why I bumped the 2007 Fitzgerald thread. And I can find much meaner ones about Fitzgerald pre Super Bowl run. I remember.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Shane is officially a troll at this point, period. Loves making false blanket statements, to share his hatred for Kyler rather than seeing the many issues that this team has… several which have a direct factor into Kyler’s poor play.
Bad form, you have not been here long enough to 'official' anything :)

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Exactly. It’s not a Kyler or Kliff thing exclusively. The clap hike is a college thing. You’re in the NFL now Kliff, grow up.
The interesting thing is neither Mahomes nor Mayfield clapped in Texas Tech under Kliff. Neither did Kyer in Texas A&M. He picked that habit while at Oklahoma. I might be the minority, but I do believe that the clap snap and the shotgun-to-death are both KM's preferences and he refused to change.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose