Things I Just Know are True

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
you put a competent QB like Dak, Rodgers, Allen, Brady, etc on this team and they dont collapse like they are now.

kyler is 100% of the problem, Its not the o-lines fault when he sails the ball or throws it at his wideouts feet.
Kyler is not 100% of the problem. He’s maybe 40% of the problem. There’s plenty of blame to go around.
True…. I’m guessing if the Rams lost AD and CK and their best OL for 6 weeks of the season they wouldn’t be where they are either. Because that’s essentially what our losses have been equal to. Few teams have the depth to just skate along like normal after losing JJ and Dhop. Heck JJ was out and we were still without Lawrence and Phillips for a stretch as well. There is only so much depth.
People are acting like JJ Watt was an essential piece of this defense. He was fine, but he wasn’t contributing that much. The Rams did lose a great WR in Robert Woods (and maybe more important to their scheme) and have managed to bounce back.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Listen Kyler was great the first 7 weeks no one can argue that and the numbers bear it out. However he was making bad reads and being hugely successful at completing passes that were a much higher degree of difficulty. Even when he had easier open WRs on the field. It was remarked about all the time in here by commentators etc….. Not even arguable. It wasn’t a big deal because he was still making the big play and making it count. Now he’s not making the big play and passing on those easier wide open WRs.

It Is now coming back to haunt him. His current numbers now reflect that. If you want to say it wasn’t happening just because he was able to actually make the big play on the tighter coverages fine there’s no point in arguing it. But he was doing it.
First off, it is arguable and not a fact that this was being said all the time by announcers and commenters. Yes, he hasn’t played well aside from the Chicago game since back from injury (or even when he went down with injury in GB)…

Fun fact, that is actually a FACT. Every single loss w Kyler aside from Rams, our starting Center, Hudson was not playing. Coincidence? I think not. We are 8-2 when he is in the line-up (Colt vs Carolina other loss). That’s literally how bad our offensive line is. Heck we even had our 3rd string center in for the GB game (although is Garcia even qualified to be a back up center?).

Aside from that, Hopkins was out 90% of the GB game… take that game out and we are 8-1 with Hopkins in the line-up. Coincidence? I think not.

Take away your only good Oline player and your #1 offensive of weapon and nearly every single QB in this league is going to dip in production (always an outlier game or situation..like GB not having throw the ball at all vs our crap run defense!).

Lastly - Kliffy does not run a pro style offense. Way too much lateral play calling and limited route trees, it’s not only apparent to the naked eye but has been proven before with route charts k this very message board.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Listen Kyler was great the first 7 weeks no one can argue that and the numbers bear it out. However he was making bad reads and being hugely successful at completing passes that were a much higher degree of difficulty. Even when he had easier open WRs on the field. It was remarked about all the time in here by commentators etc….. Not even arguable. It wasn’t a big deal because he was still making the big play and making it count. Now he’s not making the big play and passing on those easier wide open WRs.

It Is now coming back to haunt him. His current numbers now reflect that. If you want to say it wasn’t happening just because he was able to actually make the big play on the tighter coverages fine there’s no point in arguing it. But he was doing it.
My thing is if you look at a lot of big plays QBs make you could probably find an open guy underneath as well. The issue is your lack of context. We had just spent an entire offseason about either Kyler is dumping the ball off underneath or forcing it to Hopkins. This year he was making greater reads and finding the matchups. My initial reply was to poster saying Hopkins was just bailing us out and thats not true this year.

There's a difference between just missing the open guy and forcing a throw into double coverage (like the last couple of games). Instead having an open guy underneath, but being able to isolate the matchup in the Cardinals favor. We got the matchup vs the coverages we wanted. Those are the plays you want. And as I've said before earlier in the year it was more or so Kyler not hitting those deep play matchups to take the safe throw underneath.

He had Hopkins deep vs the Rams and instead took Max Williams underneath to keep the chains moving.

I cant argue the last couple of games, but lets not act like its been egregious all year.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler is not 100% of the problem. He’s maybe 40% of the problem. There’s plenty of blame to go around.

People are acting like JJ Watt was an essential piece of this defense. He was fine, but he wasn’t contributing that much. The Rams did lose a great WR in Robert Woods (and maybe more important to their scheme) and have managed to bounce back.

They also lost their starting RB, Akers.

And anyone who thought Watt was going to make it through the season wasn’t being realistic so if we’re going to cite his injury as a reason why we’re not as good defensively, point the finger at the guy who gave him 15 million per year for 7 games. That’s another roster construction problem.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
People are acting like JJ Watt was an essential piece of this defense. He was fine, but he wasn’t contributing that much.
I don't know why you keep saying this, because it isn't true. JJ Watt from both a statistical/emotional/strategic standpoint was THE BIGGEST difference between this being a decent defense, and what we have now. To say he wasn't contributing much is just ridiculous.

If you don't believe me, have a read. This as been a totally different defense without Watt demanding double teams and penetrating. https://www.si.com/nfl/cardinals/news/what-needs-fixing-on-cardinals-defense

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am convinced that the primary issue with the o-line is the fact that Kyler is 99% of the time, operating from the shot-gun and uses his stupid clapping sequence to signal for the hike. It is awkward, confusing and dysfunctional. Offensive lineman need consistency, rhythm and reliability. To have to listen for a certain clap sequence to then know it's ok to fire... it's clearly a HUGE issue. And I'm certain it frustrates the hell out of the o-linemen.
Nothing is in sequence. Nothing is reliable. Nothing is on time. And it's due in great part to the fact that Kyler isn't comfy when under center. Ughhhh...

That's not just Kyler though that's Kliff's offense. Remember the Raiders preseason game the first year of KK when the ref didn't agree with the earlier NFL ruling and kept calling false starts on Kyler for simulated snap by clapping but not getting the ball? That was all Kliff he said they'd literally invited the NFL to camp to review it and the NFL did and said it was ok. That's Kliff's offense. Murray likes it too but a big reason Kyler hasn't taken snaps under C much in the NFL is Kliff doesn't want him to.

I agree it's a big reason for false starts and all the bad snaps and it's why we have a hard time drawing guys offsides and getting the call, because they're afraid to do fake claps because the ref might call it on us, or someone might jump or snap the ball early.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
One important think, Steve Keim is equally to blame for a roster that is near play off capable only under perfect circumstances

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Even Kirk was makiing catches that were just nails the first 8 weeks… Ever since he’s kind of disappeared. I’m assuming since no Dhop better CBs are rotating over to him?
But a better cb didn’t cause him to drop that long ball. He’s just reverting to form.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

They also added OBJ at exactly the moment they lost woods. And I think you undersell the impact watt had in spite of his numbers. That said all these issues (depth and relying on aging free agents with injury histories) are on keim.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That's not just Kyler though that's Kliff's offense. Remember the Raiders preseason game the first year of KK when the ref didn't agree with the earlier NFL ruling and kept calling false starts on Kyler for simulated snap by clapping but not getting the ball? That was all Kliff he said they'd literally invited the NFL to camp to review it and the NFL did and said it was ok. That's Kliff's offense. Murray likes it too but a big reason Kyler hasn't taken snaps under C much in the NFL is Kliff doesn't want him to.

I agree it's a big reason for false starts and all the bad snaps and it's why we have a hard time drawing guys offsides and getting the call, because they're afraid to do fake claps because the ref might call it on us, or someone might jump or snap the ball early.
I still don’t understand the clap. It literally allows the defense to know the snap count as quickly as the oline.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I know that Kyler needs way more help than he should at this point in his career. That said, you have to get him it because he is your best chance to win.

I know getting Kyler this help is going to take away from our ability to acquire veteran talent on defense. Not enough money for both.

I know that Keim sucks at drafting and the Cardinals seems to suck at developing young players. It's a bit of both. This is going to make filling out a roster very difficult when money is tight (which it will be when Kyler is paid).

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still don’t understand the clap. It literally allows the defense to know the snap count as quickly as the oline.

They're supposed to be able to use the clap like a hut so Kyler can clap once and it doesn't mean snap the snap count might be teh 2nd clap. The problem is it's pretty clear the OL gets confused, even the C does, and frankly it happens enough I think Kyler does sometimes too.
That Raiders preseason game created concerns the first year. Since then the NFL has agreed that the clap is ok but I think its' pretty clear part of why we are false starting so often is the OL struggles with the clap.

And it's just harder to fake with a clap than it is with your voice.

I think getting to where we can run plays under C even a fraction of the time will help the OL.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
They're supposed to be able to use the clap like a hut so Kyler can clap once and it doesn't mean snap the snap count might be teh 2nd clap. The problem is it's pretty clear the OL gets confused, even the C does, and frankly it happens enough I think Kyler does sometimes too.
That Raiders preseason game created concerns the first year. Since then the NFL has agreed that the clap is ok but I think its' pretty clear part of why we are false starting so often is the OL struggles with the clap.

And it's just harder to fake with a clap than it is with your voice.

I think getting to where we can run plays under C even a fraction of the time will help the OL.
I can’t recall the last time I saw kyler clap twice thereby simulating an actual snap count.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can’t recall the last time I saw kyler clap twice thereby simulating an actual snap count.

He actually does but it's usually late in the clock which makes me wonder if it's the count or if he's clapping to make sure the C knows snap the ball before the clock hits 0?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't know why you keep saying this, because it isn't true. JJ Watt from both a statistical/emotional/strategic standpoint was THE BIGGEST difference between this being a decent defense, and what we have now. To say he wasn't contributing much is just ridiculous.

If you don't believe me, have a read. This as been a totally different defense without Watt demanding double teams and penetrating. https://www.si.com/nfl/cardinals/news/what-needs-fixing-on-cardinals-defense
We went from a Top 5 offense to a pretty middling one. He was playing like an adequate starter, which is fines. But you were comparing him to Aaron Donald, which is ridiculous.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If Andy Reid was the Cards’ coach they’d be qualified for the playoffs by now. He’s not perfect, but he’s way better than Kingsbury at game plans. Give him this roster, he’d dominate.

If the Cards have a transcendent player, it’s not Murray. Hopkins is why this team dominated. Without him Murray looks confused and maybe even scared.

Looking ahead it’s hard to project the Cards’ draft/free agent targets. Both lines are in disarray. Corners and linebackers present several issues. On offense they have several expiring contracts. Fortunately, Hopkins isn’t one of them.

Kugler has been unable to produce a solid O-line this year. Injuries have hurt but every team has them. They seem to lack the ability to drive block for the running game and they have yet to master creating a solid pocket.

That said, the pocket was good enough for McCoy to use, but Murray shows little interest.

I can’t recall seeing Murray hang in and take a hit to complete a pass. Victory sometimes requires QBs who are willing to pay that price.

Clock management, including TO usage, is one of the hardest skills for a coach to master.

If the defense fails to stop a play, run it again. Maybe not immediately but in the same game.

The Cards will make more off-season roster changes than any other playoff team.
Well that wouldn’t be an upgrade. We have qualified now too. Lol

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
We went from a Top 5 offense to a pretty middling one. He was playing like an adequate starter, which is fines.
He wasn't, but it's ok if you keep saying it. Showing the relationship between his injury and the performance of the D ever since is obviously coincidence.

But you were comparing him to Aaron Donald, which is ridiculous.
Making stuff up is even more ridiculous. You somehow conflated a post with me saying "I saw that Donald had like 11 hurries and that our D-line had around 10." to comparing Watt to Aaron Donald?

Weak sauce.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am convinced that the primary issue with the o-line is the fact that Kyler is 99% of the time, operating from the shot-gun and uses his stupid clapping sequence to signal for the hike. It is awkward, confusing and dysfunctional. Offensive lineman need consistency, rhythm and reliability. To have to listen for a certain clap sequence to then know it's ok to fire... it's clearly a HUGE issue. And I'm certain it frustrates the hell out of the o-linemen.
Nothing is in sequence. Nothing is reliable. Nothing is on time. And it's due in great part to the fact that Kyler isn't comfy when under center. Ughhhh...
I can't stand the clapping thing. To me, it's a college move. The question is: is it something Kyler wants to do or is it part of Kliff's system?
You're in the NFL now. Time to grow up.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We went from a Top 5 offense to a pretty middling one. He was playing like an adequate starter, which is fines. But you were comparing him to Aaron Donald, which is ridiculous.
Comparing anyone to AD is ridiculous in context for sure… But regardless JJ was playing like our best DL without question when injured. He was commanding Double teams and being very disruptive regardless of overall stat line. His presence freed up others. It was a big loss.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I agree on the Kyler thing. Definitely lots of factors.

However, I do believe that Watt was a big piece of our success. It may not have shown up in the stats but he created a lot of issues for the other team while he was playing. And Robert Woods would be like us losing AJ Green or Kirk. We could get by as long as we had Dhop and either Green/Kirk. I think the original poster was right. DHOP=Kupp and Donald is similar to us losing Watt or Jones. If Donald and Kupp are off the Rams due to injury, that team is nowhere near as good.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

However, I do believe that Watt was a big piece of our success. It may not have shown up in the stats but he created a lot of issues for the other team while he was playing. And Robert Woods would be like us losing AJ Green or Kirk. We could get by as long as we had Dhop and either Green/Kirk. I think the original poster was right. DHOP=Kupp and Donald is similar to us losing Watt or Jones. If Donald and Kupp are off the Rams due to injury, that team is nowhere near as good.
Exactly

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It’s real annoying seeing Matt Stafford throw 3 INTs(could’ve been 5) & not matter cause of Aaron Donald & Jalen Ramsey.
This is true. I said the same thing while watching the game. At one point Stafford had 3 picks and 0 TD's but they were still in the lead. I said if that was us, we would be getting killed.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Donald/Jones today is unfair to be honest
Watt is the only one who can compared to him in terms of impact
I remember u last year after the Jones season ending injury the Cards were one of the top team in sacks