Things I Just Know are True

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
If Andy Reid was the Cards’ coach they’d be qualified for the playoffs by now. He’s not perfect, but he’s way better than Kingsbury at game plans. Give him this roster, he’d dominate.

If the Cards have a transcendent player, it’s not Murray. Hopkins is why this team dominated. Without him Murray looks confused and maybe even scared.

Looking ahead it’s hard to project the Cards’ draft/free agent targets. Both lines are in disarray. Corners and linebackers present several issues. On offense they have several expiring contracts. Fortunately, Hopkins isn’t one of them.

Kugler has been unable to produce a solid O-line this year. Injuries have hurt but every team has them. They seem to lack the ability to drive block for the running game and they have yet to master creating a solid pocket.

That said, the pocket was good enough for McCoy to use, but Murray shows little interest.

I can’t recall seeing Murray hang in and take a hit to complete a pass. Victory sometimes requires QBs who are willing to pay that price.

Clock management, including TO usage, is one of the hardest skills for a coach to master.

If the defense fails to stop a play, run it again. Maybe not immediately but in the same game.

The Cards will make more off-season roster changes than any other playoff team.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I am convinced that the primary issue with the o-line is the fact that Kyler is 99% of the time, operating from the shot-gun and uses his stupid clapping sequence to signal for the hike. It is awkward, confusing and dysfunctional. Offensive lineman need consistency, rhythm and reliability. To have to listen for a certain clap sequence to then know it's ok to fire... it's clearly a HUGE issue. And I'm certain it frustrates the hell out of the o-linemen.
Nothing is in sequence. Nothing is reliable. Nothing is on time. And it's due in great part to the fact that Kyler isn't comfy when under center. Ughhhh...

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also know KM doesn't see open receivers and instead throws into double coverage more often than not. Doesn't matter what KK calls if his QB can't see the field.
Straight up fact

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I also know KM doesn't see open receivers and instead throws into double coverage more often than not. Doesn't matter what KK calls if his QB can't see the field.
He got spoiled with D-Hop bailing his arse out on all those throws into double-coverage... Without D-Hop, he's forced to actually read defenses... which, when you don't study film, becomes all the more difficult...

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

He got spoiled with D-Hop bailing his arse out on all those throws into double-coverage... Without D-Hop, he's forced to actually read defenses... which, when you don't study film, becomes all the more difficult...
Last couple of games sure. However, before that he had the lowest off target throw % and lowest turnover rate.

And tbh where is the throw to DHOP in double coverage (this year) coming from? We didnt rely on that much this season. I thought people praised him for finding the open guy. Its why Hopkins #s are down. He hasnt simply found the open guy the last two games. Rams game he just missed them with bad passes/interceptions.

I think now he's adjusting to teams adjusting without Hopkins getting so much of the defenses attention.

Irony is Reid/Mahomes just went through a terrible stretch as well. Their defense just dominated enough to keep them afloat until they found their rhythm again.

Maybe the same for the Cardinals?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even Kirk was makiing catches that were just nails the first 8 weeks… Ever since he’s kind of disappeared. I’m assuming since no Dhop better CBs are rotating over to him?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last couple of games sure. However, before that he had the lowest off target throw % and lowest turnover rate.

And tbh where is the throw to DHOP in double coverage (this year) coming from? We didnt rely on that much this season. I thought people praised him for finding the open guy. Its why Hopkins #s are down. He hasnt simply found the open guy the last two games. Rams game he just missed them with bad passes/interceptions.

Irony is Reid/Mahomes just went through a terrible stretch as well. Their defense just dominated enough to keep them afloat until they found their rhythm again.

Maybe the same for the Cardinals?

I think now he's adjusting to teams adusting without Hopkins getting so much of the defenses attention.
All year it’s been noted that he’s not finding the open guy….. by national pundits after the game commentators during and by people on the board etc…. They were all saying it’s amazing that he was able to do what he was doing when clearly always going for the covered guy.When other we’re running free. He was getting lucky and now the luck has run dry and those catches aren’t being made.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
All year it’s been noted that he’s not finding the open guy….. by national pundits after the game commentators during and by people on the board etc…. They were all saying it’s amazing that he was able to do what he was doing when clearly always going for the covered guy.When other we’re running free. He was getting lucky and now the luck has run dry and those catches aren’t being made.
Thats simply not true. Sure there's a guy there or two open. However, we can find that on just about every QB in the league. There was a reason at one point he was the 2nd graded passer in the NFL. Its because he was reading the field very well.

After the 7 game run the only time it was obvious on the TV tape was when he missed Wesley on a 3rd down against the Packers. Coaches tape you'd find a couple but thats true of every QB.

As I've said I think there is truth that he hasnt adjusted to teams adjusting to us without Hopkins.

The irony of your post as well is that the passes we complained about/screenshots included were passes he completed underneath instead of throwing the long ball to guys like Moore.

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats simply not true. Sure there's a guy there or two open. However, we can find that on just about every QB in the league. There was a reason at one point he was the 2nd graded passer in the NFL. Its because he was reading the field very well.

After the 7 game run the only time it was obvious on the TV tape was when he missed Wesley on a 3rd down against the Packers. Coaches tape you'd find a couple but thats true of every QB.

As I've said I think there is truth that he hasnt adjusted to teams adjusting to us without Hopkins.

The irony of your post as well is that the passes we complained about/screenshots included were passes he completed underneath instead of throwing the long ball to guys like Moore.
It’s 100% true and it’s been talked about ad nauseam on here it’s crazy how you guys have such short term memories

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Even Kirk was makiing catches that were just nails the first 8 weeks… Ever since he’s kind of disappeared. I’m assuming since no Dhop better CBs are rotating over to him?
Something he did last year too but then he had a couple of bloody drops that cost us a chance for the playoff

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Shane is officially a troll at this point, period. Loves making false blanket statements, to share his hatred for Kyler rather than seeing the many issues that this team has… several which have a direct factor into Kyler’s poor play.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yup…. And plays just like this have occurred all year. Yet people like @SoonerLou refuse to acknowledge it’s a problem.
Comprehension problems? I said he hasnt found the open guy the last couple of games. And there was open obvious play against the Bears but he took his shot with the best WR in the league one on one recently as well. ONE play.

You dont complete 73% (at the time) without reading the field well. Lately he hasnt.

Speaking of short term memories Patrick Mahomes recently talked about being "Broken" cause he kept trying for the big play instead of taking the open man underneath.

Let it play out.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, Murray secretly sucked all season. The secret was the best kept secret ever as he rolled the Titans, Rams and beat the Niners. Three playoff teams. Got wins that have knocked the Browns and Vikings out of the playoffs and put the Cards in. All to effusive national praise.

That was one hell of a trick! Love it!

(PS: Yes, he has not played nearly as well since returning from injury.)

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shane is officially a troll at this point, period. Loves making false blanket statements, to share his hatred for Kyler rather than seeing the many issues that this team has… several which have a direct factor into Kyler’s poor play.
Another one completely blind to anything Kyler…. Gotta love it….

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Comprehension problems? I said he hasnt found the open guy the last couple of games. And there was open obvious play against the Bears but he took his shot with the best WR in the league one on one recently as well. ONE play.

You dont complete 73% (at the time) without reading the field well. Lately he hasnt.

Speaking of short term memories Patrick Mahomes recently talked about being "Broken" cause he kept trying for the big play instead of taking the open man underneath.

Let it play out.
Listen Kyler was great the first 7 weeks no one can argue that and the numbers bear it out. However he was making bad reads and being hugely successful at completing passes that were a much higher degree of difficulty. Even when he had easier open WRs on the field. It was remarked about all the time in here by commentators etc….. Not even arguable. It wasn’t a big deal because he was still making the big play and making it count. Now he’s not making the big play and passing on those easier wide open WRs.

It Is now coming back to haunt him. His current numbers now reflect that. If you want to say it wasn’t happening just because he was able to actually make the big play on the tighter coverages fine there’s no point in arguing it. But he was doing it.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
he has disappeared because the QB cant throw him the ball when he's wide open.

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
Do you have a link to some of your writings? I’d love to read them sometime

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If Andy Reid was the Cards’ coach they’d be qualified for the playoffs by now. He’s not perfect, but he’s way better than Kingsbury at game plans. Give him this roster, he’d dominate.
Good news, Kliff Kingsbury has qualified the Cards for the playoffs by now!

Limited depth is a GM problem we’ve been talking about for a minute. Josh Jones being a huge zero is killer. Trading Cole for a bag of magic beans doesn’t seem to brilliant anymore. Investing a first rounder in an off-ball linebacker who can’t see the field doesn’t seem like a great investment.

Even with all that, Conner was among the league leaders in rushing TDs until recently. That doesn’t happen when your o-line is total trash.

This roster is gonna look a lot different in the Wild Card round from the one who started 7-0.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
you put a competent QB like Dak, Rodgers, Allen, Brady, etc on this team and they dont collapse like they are now.

kyler is 100% of the problem, Its not the o-lines fault when he sails the ball or throws it at his wideouts feet.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good news, Kliff Kingsbury has qualified the Cards for the playoffs by now!

Limited depth is a GM problem we’ve been talking about for a minute. Josh Jones being a huge zero is killer. Trading Cole for a bag of magic beans doesn’t seem to brilliant anymore. Investing a first rounder in an off-ball linebacker who can’t see the field doesn’t seem like a great investment.

Even with all that, Conner was among the league leaders in rushing TDs until recently. That doesn’t happen when your o-line is total trash.

This roster is gonna look a lot different in the Wild Card round from the one who started 7-0.
True…. I’m guessing if the Rams lost AD and CK and their best OL for 6 weeks of the season they wouldn’t be where they are either. Because that’s essentially what our losses have been equal to. Few teams have the depth to just skate along like normal after losing JJ and Dhop. Heck JJ was out and we were still without Lawrence and Phillips for a stretch as well. There is only so much depth.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Much time has been spent here dissecting KM's QB techniques.

Doesn't matter.

Whatever he 's doing isn't consistently working & it's got to.

Find the problem. Fix it. And let's go.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose