The Trade Deadline

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Kyler’s rookie deal is our best asset. We probably have to extend him after next year (before his 4th season). That will completely change our financial landscape. That doesn’t mean we have to go all-in, but it certainly is a point in favor of pushing hard now and for next season.

So this may be a dumb question, but why do the Cardinals have to extend him before his rookie contract expires? I know it is common to resign successful quarterbacks midway through their current contracts, but why? Is it because the team feels it’s in the best interest of the organization because the players asking price even two years later could be astronomical? Or is it because the player/agent demand it?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So this may be a dumb question, but why do the Cardinals have to extend him before his rookie contract expires? I know it is common to resign successful quarterbacks midway through their current contracts, but why? Is it because the team feels it’s in the best interest of the organization because the players asking price even two years later could be astronomical? Or is it because the player/agent demand it?

It’s good faith to take care of your franchise QB( look at the mess in Dallas with Dak)

plus the longer you wait the price only goes up. Next guy to sign is always the highest paid.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
They'll wait until he's in his fifth year to extend him. It will probably be more costly but I believe that is how it will go down. Try to maximize his rookie deal and fifth year option.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Of guys being "reported" available, Njoku and Xavien Howard pretty much it for me and the rumors on Howard are mixed. I am not interested in Gilmore. Kerryon Johnson if Edmonds is the positive test. Also, on that note, Royce Freeman would be a nice target.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
QB is so important.

49ers ran a hot not top10QB to a good record and SB loss 9 months ago!

Now, they’re toast.

See, also, Philly with Wentz/Foles

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad the NFL trade deadline is today. It gives something else to follow besides politics.

This was the latest I could find. That's a lot to ask for CB Stephon Gilmore.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'm glad the NFL trade deadline is today. It gives something else to follow besides politics.

Yeah...way less value here than with Howard. Over 30 and wants a new contract is not a place I want to trade for or invest heavily in.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Nope.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah...way less value here than with Howard. Over 30 and wants a new contract is not a place I want to trade for or invest heavily in.

Yeah, the price is too steep for my liking.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson