The thought of Matt Leinart....

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
wallyburger said:
You just gave me a Draftnik Guru non prfessional opinion based draft evaluation pay service.
My opinions are based on watching games because I think that a player might end up on the Card. Why else, being more of a fan of the Pac 10, would I watch Va Tech?

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
clif said:
what was it for? I can't access it.. I'm at work
You get a breakdown of this years top QBs. Strengths. Weaknesses.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
wallyburger said:
... Everyone seems to want Reggie Bush with the top 3 pick when it comes to RBs. Stop and take a look at Memphis RB D'angelo Williams. Auburns Kenny Irons, Minnesotas Maroney. They wouldn't take a top 3 pick to get, yet somehow a whole bunch of people get juiced up over every player on USC. I don't buy into it. USC has very good players and a great team. Let some other team fall in love with Leinart and Bush and make the trade down to use wisely. :cool:

I understand that, but this is explained simply because he (bush) is doing what he is doing while playing against some of the stiffest competition in College while in the middle of a 3rd consecutive championship run. If they are the best team.. why wouldn't you want their players?

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
earthsci said:
Great arm. I watched him in the Miami game and he looked good. He looked like crap in the Georgia Tech game. Those are the only two times that I've seen him.

I get to watch him constantly with Miami now in the ACC. He has started for 4 years. Is big 6'5" 235 pounds. Smart with the ball. Does not throw picks. Very good footwork. Very strong arm. He is called the most accurate arm in years. Runs in a true pro set offense. Just beat the hell out of FSU and Miami for 4 years. Right now , he is arguably the best QB in the ACC.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=116343

I watched Marc Bulger play for 4 years for WVU and said he was the best QB in The Big East, the whole time. Whitehurst is better, IMHO, for what it is worth.

Leinart may be this years Eli Manning with all the headlines and reputation, but Whitehurst is this years Roethlisberger with the talent.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
earthsci said:
You get a breakdown of this years top QBs. Strengths. Weaknesses.

Again I know Leinart has weaknesses. My point is that his weaknesses don't show up much in the games I've seen him play. They may be there, but not many teams have been able to exploit them.

If he really has a weak arm, then why aren't teams forcing him to throw deep?

BUT before someone comes along and says it's because his team is so good... How can you penalize him for that?

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:
Again I know Leinart has weaknesses. My point is that his weaknesses don't show up much in the games I've seen him play. They may be there, but not many teams have been able to exploit them.

If he really has a weak arm, then why aren't teams forcing him to throw deep?

BUT before someone comes along and says it's because his team is so good... How can you penalize him for that?

Because the big old USC O line gives him 15 seconds to throw and Pac 10 DBs and LBs don't cover that long. In the Pros, he wont have that luxury.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
wallyburger said:
Because the big old USC O line gives him 15 seconds to throw and Pac 10 DBs and LBs don't cover that long. In the Pros, he wont have that luxury.

I don't follow this logic. Are you saying that he doesn't throw deep because the Oline gives him too much time? :confused:

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:
I don't follow this logic. Are you saying that he doesn't throw deep because the Oline gives him too much time? :confused:
Yes. He gets to hit areas that have been cleared out by drag patterns and go patterns. He has time to go through his progressions. That is where USC eats you up. Much unlike the Cardinals. :eek:

P.S Everyone gives USC the center of the field and short stuff, to protect against the big play. They have so many weapons. Only a huge pass rush team will beat them.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
wallyburger said:
Yes. He gets to hit areas that have been cleared out by drag patterns and go patterns. He has time to go through his progressions. That is where USC eats you up. Much unlike the Cardinals. :eek:

P.S Everyone gives USC the center of the field and short stuff, to protect against the big play. They have so many weapons. Only a huge pass rush team will beat them.

Ok.. but how is this leinart's fault? Why does he get downgraded in your mind for things that he has no control over?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Sounds to me like Wally may have a bias against USC.I don't like USC either but Lienart is great prospect.I will be willing to bet anybody that AFTER the scouts get their looks at him that he will be a top 5 pick.And,so what if he holds a private workout.Most top prospects do. I can see not liking the guy but at least be realistic.He's going to be a high pick and is worthy of it.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cbus cardsfan said:
Sounds to me like Wally may have a bias against USC.I don't like USC either but Lienart is great prospect.I will be willing to bet anybody that AFTER the scouts get their looks at him that he will be a top 5 pick.And,so what if he holds a private workout.Most top prospects do. I can see not liking the guy but at least be realistic.He's going to be a high pick and is worthy of it.

I just said " USC has very good players and a great team". Where is the bias in that? I only happen to think USC is overhyped. Right now I don' think they are better than Texas, Ohio State, Miami, Penn State. Those 4 teams mentioned all have better defenses than USC, plus they can score. Just an opinion , not bias.

P.S. I also think the Pac 10 is weaker than the Big 10, SEC and ACC top to bottom.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Screw Matt Leinart.... we need a running game

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
wallyburger said:
I just said " USC has very good players and a great team". Where is the bias in that? I only happen to think USC is overhyped. Right now I don' think they are better than Texas, Ohio State, Miami, Penn State. Those 4 teams mentioned all have better defenses than USC, plus they can score. Just an opinion , not bias.

P.S. I also think the Pac 10 is weaker than the Big 10, SEC and ACC top to bottom.
Maybe i shouldn't say bias against USC but you definitely have an in for Leinart that i don't get. Did he snub the U or something along those lines?

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cbus cardsfan said:
Maybe i shouldn't say bias against USC but you definitely have an in for Leinart that i don't get. Did he snub the U or something along those lines?

It is simple. I don't think he is a " great QB ". I think he is a good QB in a great system. I don't want to see the Cards waste a high pick on "him". I hope someone else takes him before the Cards do. If the Cards take him, I hope I am dead wrong in my evaluation.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
Screw Matt Leinart.... we need a running game

That is all that needs to be said. :notworthy

I watched Kurt Warner yesterday and he did everything he could with that limited offensive arsenal. Everyone beats the Cards with their own run game. You would think most Card fans would see that by now. If you can't run in the NFL, you can't win.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wallyburger said:
That is all that needs to be said. :notworthy

I watched Kurt Warner yesterday and he did everything he could with that limited offensive arsenal. Everyone beats the Cards with their own run game. You would think most Card fans would see that by now. If you can't run in the NFL, you can't win.
I don't thik anyone one is advocating stopping our off-season "improvements" at drafting Lienart; nor do I think anyone is saying a run game isn't important.

We can improve the line significantly in FA and the rest of the draft, but we shouldn't ignore a more long-term solution at QB just because we have holes elsewhere.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Pariah said:
I don't thik anyone one is advocating stopping our off-season "improvements" at drafting Lienart; nor do I think anyone is saying a run game isn't important.

We can improve the line significantly in FA and the rest of the draft, but we shouldn't ignore a more long-term solution at QB just because we have holes elsewhere.

You should make this your sig. I absolutely agree with you on it and I see you post it over and over, but people continually say "but can he block".. as if it was some kind of battle cry. :shrug:

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Pariah said:
No kidding.

"Well, we drafted Matt Leinart, let's just give away the rest of our picks and not sign any free agents. It doesn't matter, Matt doesn't need blocking, and since we will be scoring at will, we don't really need a defense."

gusmahler

Registered
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Even Smith isn't a good comparison, because he shot up the draft boards in his senior year. Lienart has been considered a top-NFL prospect for a couple of years now.

I meant Akili Smith. Not Alex.

gusmahler

Registered
Reaction score
Pariah said:
So did I. Akili Smith sort of came out of nowhere his last year at Oregon.

Didn't Ryan Leaf come out of nowhere also? Everyone was talking about Peyton for a while. Then, when draft day approached, people were debating Manning or Leaf, which surprised me because I had hardly heard of Ryan Leaf before that draft.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Cbus cardsfan said:
Bingo. If Leinart wore orange and green, Wally would be all over his nuts just as he was Ken Dorsey's. The homerism and anti-USC jealousy of him and many of the other Leinart haters on this board is so transparent it's comical.

Last edited: