The thought of Matt Leinart....

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
wallyburger said:
Matt Leinart has a mediocre arm, limited mobility and plays on a loaded team. None of which tickets him for stardom in the NFL.

They said all the same things about Tom Brady. Don't think New Englanders are losing too much sleep over that one.

Listen, I'm ALL in favor of Arizona getting any kind of offensive line help. However, Matt Leinart is easily the most highly touted QB to hit the draft, perhaps ever. Maybe he is the product of the USC system, but you don't continue to improve after losing the talent SC has lost over the last two seasons. Leinart has.

Unless you have a franchise QB in place, to pass up on this guy would be sheer moronic and will prove to be one of those moves that come back to haunt you. The Cardinals don't have that guy, and if Leinart falls in to their laps, they should thank their lucky stars and draft the guy in the time it takes Paul Tagliabue to adjust his tie.

Leinart chucking the rock Fitzgerald and Boldin? If that's not enough to excite you, nothing is. I like Bush too, but I think with an adjusted OLine, he can be that back the Cardinals covet.

Take Leinart 1, Max Giles 2, and work the free agent market (Hutchison is available). That's what I'd do if I were in charge. (Prepares for comments of THANK GOD YOUR NOT THE GM :notworthy )

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Snake said:
They said all the same things about Tom Brady. Don't think New Englanders are losing too much sleep over that one.
No one is more on the "draft Lienart" bandwagon than me, but Brady was a 5th round draft pick (or something like that). If Lienart doesn't have a cannon for an arm, it's a legit point to bring up in the discussion of a #1 overall pick.

But, I don't think that you need a cannon to be a great QB. Lienart can make every throw you ask him too--as long as you don't ask him to throw the ball 40 yards on a rope like Elway could (BTW--P. Manning can't do that, either).

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
Pariah said:
No one is more on the "draft Lienart" bandwagon than me, but Brady was a 5th round draft pick (or something like that). If Lienart doesn't have a cannon for an arm, it's a legit point to bring up in the discussion of a #1 overall pick.

It is a legitimate arguement to be made, I'm definately not disputing that. Also, even the most diehard of Patriot fan couldn't convince me that they projected Brady to be this good. As a matter of fact, it was widely considered luck that he beat out Michael Bishop in his second year. Brady is one of those once-in-a-lifetime middle round draft picks that blows pre-draft expectations right out of the water. Most are immediately penciling Leinart in to Canton. There's a difference between the two in this sense. A big difference.

My point was this. Every QB who enters the draft has some question marks. Some worse than others. Leinart's big glitch is that he lacks a bazooka arm. I'd still draft him. Really, he reminds me in many ways of Palmer, with less arm strength. Leinart's a franchise changer, IMHO.

But, I don't think that you need a cannon to be a great QB. Lienart can make every throw you ask him too--as long as you don't ask him to throw the ball 40 yards on a rope like Elway could (BTW--P. Manning can't do that, either).

I'll take an accurate pistol over an innacurate cannon any day of the week.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Snake said:
I'll take an accurate pistol over an innacurate cannon any day of the week.
Me too. But, I think that most people will take an accurate cannon over an accurate pistol--and that's the point people make when they're saying that a number one overall shouldn't have any "warts."

But, like I said, I'm only playing devil's advocate. I'd like to even trade up to get Lienart.

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
Pariah said:
Me too. But, I think that most people will take an accurate cannon over an accurate pistol

Definately, and that goes without saying. In a perfect world, the QB of us Cardinal fans' dreams would be a guy who could throw it 60-70 yards effortlessly, while finding their open man with a similarly effortless try.

That's the point people make when they're saying that a number one overall shouldn't have any "warts."

Good point, however (especially at the QB position) I can't ever think of a QB who DIDN'T have warts of some kind.

Peyton couldn't win the big game.

Vick was too run oriented.

Eli never led his team to an SEC Title let alone a National Title.

Palmer, prior to his senior season, had his fair share of troubles. I remember reading a mock draft that was conducted in his junior year that had him going 20th. Still good enough to be a first, but not enough to be the top dog.

Alex Smith went to a MWC school, and never had a big level of competition facing him. Same with Carr.

My point here is you'll never find that perfect QB. Even Marino and Montana had their warts coming in, and both turned out to be pretty damn good.

But, like I said, I'm only playing devil's advocate. I'd like to even trade up to get Lienart.

Likewise. IMHO, he's the best QB to hit the draft in some time.

Doc Cardinal

Old Fart
Reaction score
"Likewise. IMHO, he's the best QB to hit the draft in some time."

Actually n the past few years I've never looked at it that way.

I've always looked at it as Is He Better Than Our Current QB?

I'd say draft him.

Ohio Cards Fan

Veteran
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
1) he hasn't played a down in the NFL so QUIT PUTTING HIM INTO THE HOF BEFORE he does.

2) He is not going to start and if he does we will probably lose (this isn't some tiny adjustment from the NCAA to the NFL)

He might be a very good player, I personally think he will if put in the right system but this is the type of crap that shows yet again how ungodly overrated and overhyped the QB position is. QB is important but it doesn't mean that if you draft a QB that he will a) produce at the next level and b) win by default.

Teams don't bow down and quit simply because you have a good QB. This is a team sport and until we get a team to surround him, he will probably fail

Make no mistake Ash. Matt Leinart is the second coming of Peyton Manning. His poise is unrivaled by any college QB in recent memory. In fact, his whole college career was preparation for the NFL. He is snap-ready for the NFL right now. Wager??

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Ohio Cards Fan said:
Make no mistake Ash. Matt Leinart is the second coming of Peyton Manning. His poise is unrivaled by any college QB in recent memory. In fact, his whole college career was preparation for the NFL. He is snap-ready for the NFL right now. Wager??

Define NFL snap ready