The thought of Matt Leinart....

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
In a Cards Uni next year in the new stadium makes me salivate like a Defensive Lineman facing off against Stepanovich. The idea of a first tier NFL Star Quarterback playing for this team is unprecedented. It is so exciting that I will be rooting against Arizona come December 4th against the 49ers and against the Texans and in week 17 against the Colts. I don't want another week 17 moral victory messing things up like in 03. The difference between 4-12 and 2-14 is the difference between picking an Andre Wadsworth or Leonard (false Start) Davis over an Eli or Peyton Manning. This is the year that it all changes: Even the Cardinals franchise can't get in the way of a perrenial pro-bowl career for Matt Leinart. The other missing pieces on the lines and at linebacker can be fixed through free agency and in rounds 2-7; A franchise Quarterback, however, is priceless. Combine that with the influx of the injured players coming back next year and you have a recipe for an immediate turnaround...ala the Rams of 99

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Timm Rosenbach said:
In a Cards Uni next year in the new stadium makes me salivate like a Defensive Lineman facing off against Stepanovich. The idea of a first tier NFL Star Quarterback playing for this team is unprecedented. It is so exciting that I will be rooting against Arizona come December 4th against the 49ers and against the Texans and in week 17 against the Colts. I don't want another week 17 moral victory messing things up like in 03. The difference between 4-12 and 2-14 is the difference between picking an Andre Wadsworth or Leonard (false Start) Davis over an Eli or Peyton Manning. This is the year that it all changes: Even the Cardinals franchise can't get in the way of a perrenial pro-bowl career for Matt Leinart. The other missing pieces on the lines and at linebacker can be fixed through free agency and in rounds 2-7; A franchise Quarterback, however, is priceless. Combine that with the influx of the injured players coming back next year and you have a recipe for an immediate turnaround...ala the Rams of 99

1) he hasn't played a down in the NFL so QUIT PUTTING HIM INTO THE HOF BEFORE he does.

2) He is not going to start and if he does we will probably lose (this isn't some tiny adjustment from the NCAA to the NFL)

He might be a very good player, I personally think he will if put in the right system but this is the type of crap that shows yet again how ungodly overrated and overhyped the QB position is. QB is important but it doesn't mean that if you draft a QB that he will a) produce at the next level and b) win by default.

Teams don't bow down and quit simply because you have a good QB. This is a team sport and until we get a team to surround him, he will probably fail

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Leinart is gold. I think if we don't have the first pick we should sack up and trade up like ATL did for Vick.

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
Timm Rosenbach said:
The idea of a first tier NFL Star Quarterback playing for this team is unprecedented... Combine that with the influx of the injured players coming back next year and you have a recipe for an immediate turnaround...ala the Rams of 99

TR:

Bad example. You should remember that the Rams' turnaround took place after its starting quarterback was lost for the season and replaced by an unheralded, undrafted, ex-Arena Leaguer named Kurt Warner, not some #1 draft choice.

This is a team game, and first-rounders at every position turn into busts as often as all-pros. Hanging your hopes for turning this team around on a rookie QB is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Besides, if the Cardinals somehow stumbled to the NFL's worst record, and secured the #1 pick, you just know Rod Graves would trade out of it, right? ;)

WC

OP
OP
Timm Rosenbach

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Evil and WC,

This is not a Jeff Tedford QB like David Carr or Akili Smith, or some side-armed phenom like Phillip Rivers; this is an Eli MAnning, Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer kind of sure thing. This guy is a fifth year senior who has already led his team to a National Championship and won the Heisman trophy. He has the experience, the size, the arm and the maturity to start immediately and be in the Pro-Bowl within a couple of seasons like Palmer will be this season. There is one type of player that you can draft who will be sure to turn your team around within two or three years and that is a franchise QB. Remember what the Colts were like before Manning? Remember what the Falcons were like before Vick? There is one sure thing in this draft, and that is Leinart. Or would you rather draft a little bit lower in the top 10 and get a Leonard Davis, Andre Wadsworth or Antrelle Rolle-type player at another position?

BTW; I was using the Rams as a benchmark because they are simply the most extreme example of how a team can go from horrible to Super Bowl champ in one year. The Giants, Falcons, Colts and Bengals are more appropriate examples of how drafting a QB like Leinart number 1 results in very quick turnarounds

Last edited:

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Timm Rosenbach said:
Evil,

This is not a Jeff Tedford QB like David Carr or Akili Smith, or some side-armed phenom like Phillip Rivers; this is an Eli MAnning, Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer kind of sure thing. This guy is a fifth year senior who has already led his team to a National Championship and won the Heisman trophy. He has the experience, the size, the arm and the maturity to start immediately and be in the Pro-Bowl within a couple of seasons like Palmer will be this season. There is one type of player that you can draft who will be sure to turn your team around within two or three years and that is a franchise QB. Remember what the Colts were like before Manning? Remember what the Falcons were like before Vick? There is one sure thing in this draft, and that is Leinart. Or would you rather draft a little bit lower in the top 10 and get a Leonard Davis, Andre Wadsworth or Antrelle Rolle-type player at another position?

Wish his arm was a little stronger though.

artp

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think Leinart will play for the Cardinals. I think he would pull an Eli (against the Chargers).

OP
OP
Timm Rosenbach

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
I don't think that he is the type to pull an Eli; he has a little more character and isnt a puppet for his father. Plus, Arizona isnt too far from Southern California

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
artp said:
I don't think Leinart will play for the Cardinals. I think he would pull an Eli (against the Chargers).
There is really no reason to think this will happen. It's happened, what, twice in the history of the NFL?

Anyway, just like the Chargers--it's no reason not to draft him.

artp

Registered
Reaction score
Pariah said:
There is really no reason to think this will happen. It's happened, what, twice in the history of the NFL?

Anyway, just like the Chargers--it's no reason not to draft him.

You're right, its no reason not to draft him. I guess I'm just feeling discouraged and expecting bad things to happen.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Timm Rosenbach said:
Evil and WC,

This is not a Jeff Tedford QB like David Carr or Akili Smith, or some side-armed phenom like Phillip Rivers; this is an Eli MAnning, Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer kind of sure thing.

There's no such thing as a sure thing. People that have been "can't miss" before have been busts.

I think he'll do well at the next level but thats not a certainty

This guy is a fifth year senior who has already led his team to a National Championship and won the Heisman trophy.

The National Championship is a TEAM mark, I'm pretty sure he didn't do everything on his own and the Heisman has been proven to be more of a curse at the next level.

Success in college does NOT mean success in the pros. Again no such thing as a "sure thing"

He has the experience, the size, the arm and the maturity to start immediately and be in the Pro-Bowl within a couple of seasons like Palmer will be this season.

Experience - sorta, size - yes, arm - eh, maturity -yes

ProBowl again not a certainty

There is one type of player that you can draft who will be sure to turn your team around within two or three years and that is a franchise QB.

Like the Texans have done?

Remember what the Colts were like before Manning?

Yeah I do they made the playoffs 2 years before Manning went there (funny how everyone forgets that). They had a year similar to ours where they are raveged with injuries and had a chance to get him

Remember what the Falcons were like before Vick?

When Jamaal Anderson was with them, they were pretty good. I believe they even went to the Superbowl before Vick ever went there. Remember that? Chris Chandler was their QB that year

There is one sure thing in this draft, and that is Leinart.

There's no such thing as a sure thing. Every scout you will ever talk to will tell you that the draft is a gamble.

Sure some players are less of a gamble but they are still a gamble.

Or would you rather draft a little bit lower in the top 10 and get a Leonard Davis, Andre Wadsworth or Antrelle Rolle-type player at another position?

I didn't say that. For starters we have no idea where we are going to pick so this "We must absolutely draft Leinart regardless of the cost" may all be nothing.

If we are there to draft him or give up a fair deal to trade up for him, I don't have a problem with it. However during FA (remember this comes first) we MUST fix the lines

If we draft Leinart we are making an investment, don't you think it would be wise to protect said investment?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Timm Rosenbach said:
Evil and WC,

BTW; I was using the Rams as a benchmark because they are simply the most extreme example of how a team can go from horrible to Super Bowl champ in one year. The Giants, Falcons, Colts and Bengals are more appropriate examples of how drafting a QB like Leinart number 1 results in very quick turnarounds

Or he could be another Danny Wuerffel, Gino Torretta, or Vinny Testaverde.

To me.... if he's on the board..... Reggie (Don't call me Marshall Faulk) Bush is a big answer. Then we need to fix the rest of our crappy team.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
We rushed for 38 yards today. Why the hell are we talking about Matt Leinart?

And passed for almost 350. I am with you.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
We rushed for 38 yards today. Why the hell are we talking about Matt Leinart?

Agreed. If we're in a position to draft him ideally we trade down a slot or two and get a top five and more picks and a player and resign Warner for three years. Fix our OL, DL and running game.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
artp said:
You're right, its no reason not to draft him. I guess I'm just feeling discouraged and expecting bad things to happen.
Don't get too down. I'm pretty down as well.