ASFN Addict
Reaction score

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Heard on ESPN this morning that Austin and Eifert are late risers.. wouldn't be suprised if they were both gone by the first dozen picks.

OP
OP
red desert

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Too bad for us, imo. Even worse Rams nabbed him.

Felt this exact same way when we passed on Urlacher and Peterson. Hope I'm wrong, misguided, and all around clueless. I hope.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

Felt this exact same way when we passed on Urlacher and Peterson. Hope I'm wrong, misguided, and all around clueless. I hope.

He's gonna torch us in week 1 in much the same way Quan did the Lions in his 1st game IMO. :bang:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Wake me up when a 170 pound midget gets off the line against an NFL defense

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I guess, but we don't know that Tavon is going to become the next Steve Smith. If you could guarantee me that Tavon Austin was going to have Steve Smith's career, he'd be the top pick in this draft class. But you can't guarantee that.

The argument isn't that Tavon sucks--although I happen to think that he's a gadget player in the NFL and not going to get the 125 receptions and 1400 yards that Mitch is predicting from him to start his career. The argument is that Austin doesn't deserve to be on top of any team's draft board because as a slot WR/scatback he has far too many question marks than other high-profile prospects at the top of the round.

Tavon Austin is the number one "X Factor" player in this draft. His presence on the field changes everything and puts tremendous pressure on defenses to know at all times where he is and to do all they can to contain his speed. In order to do that you have to have safety help on him over the top---which means, if you put Tavon to Fitz's side, the defense can't bracket Fitz with the safety anymore.

In addition---you can use him as a RB a few times a game and/or pitch him the ball on reverses from the slot---his career ypc at West Virginia was close to 10 yards a carry.

When you get him in the field he is unbelievably difficult to corral---his ability to run with the ball at 4.3 speed and side-step a tackler is uncanny and Barry Sanders---esque. His 0-60 speed rate is off the charts.

Check out Mel Kiper's take on TA---and because TA played at Dunbar H.S. in Maryland, Mel watched him all through high school. Check it out:

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news...n-Austin/99100301-306e-44ad-b06e-dfafe9be6077

If you think the Cardinals are not even considering TA---guess what Steve Keim was doing moments after the Carson Palmer press conference---he was watching more tape of TA.

The object of this game is to move the chains and score TDs---this guy gives you a better chance to do that than any other player in the draft.

So... I'm feeling pretty good about how this thread looks today.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
How on earth did the Rams score 38 points with 216 yards of offense?!

4 turnovers doesn't help, I guess.

Oh -- and Yates threw 2 picks after coming in -- Texans fans deserve that after cheering Schaub getting injured!!!!

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was a fun thread to read through.

BTW, he on pace for 75 catches for under 500 yards. That is under 7 yards a catch. :eek:

That has to be a record for lowest average of any player over 50 catches. To compare, Michael Floyd had 45 catches for 562 yards last year and is on pace for about 70 catches and near 1000 yards this year.

Last edited:

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Rams game makes our loss look more impressive - we had 4 turnovers and only gave up 32

:)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Paging Red Desert. Red Desert, please pick up the black crow-eating phone. Red Desert, please pick up the black crow-eating phone.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
It was just a matter of time...he's just too talented! I will still stick to my guns of him being a star player despite his size.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was just a matter of time...he's just too talented! I will still stick to my guns of him being a star player despite his size.

Honestly I have no idea, but this is a fun discussion to watch. I also think you cannot judge a WR after 8 games or one season.

Last edited:

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The story of the game was Rams rookie receiver Tavon Austin, who finally had the kind of game the Rams were hoping for when they drafted him. Austin had a 98-yard punt return for a touchdown, and touchdown catches of 57 and 81 yards. All in all, Austin had a whopping 314 all-purpose yards.

Link.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kingman