The Tavon Austin vibe....

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I am starting to believe he really will be gone when we pick at number 7. I know most of you don't care and another many of you would be happy to take that temptation of the table before we pick.

I, on the other hand, echoing Mitch's sentiments, believe this should be our pick, if he's there. Can't help but think who Harbaugh and Carroll would most NOT like us to pick.... Austin, IMO. I know He really would make our offense electric. Mayock among others have stated the exact same thing about this kid, he would be a matchup nighmare for defensive coordinators. Baldinger's and Cosell's favorite player in the draft. His size not much of a concern for them. In anticipation of one counterpoint, I respond with our O-line being in better shape than most think.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...iefs-geno-smith-jaguars?modid=recommended_4_5

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ginia-wr-tavon-austin-should-be-a-top-10-pick

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
You can't, or shouldn't, take a guy that small in the top 10. His athletcism won't be as big a factor at the NFL level and his lack of size will be even a bigger factor. Also, I don't want to take a #3 slot WR in the top 10.

Denard Robinson was as big a playmker in college and he's being talked about as a day 3 draft pick. Granted, he's changing positions but Austin is more of an athlete than a polished NFL type WR. The same can be said for to a greater extent about Robinson.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I certainly hope some team drafts Austin in the Top 5 or 6. What a silly choice that would be. Even in a talent-poor draft class, there are a plethora of smallish slot receiver types who would be able to contribute immediately.

Go watch some Ryan Swope film and you'll feel better knowing we can get him in the 2nd or 3rd round and he'll put together 85% of the production of Austin.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know Mitch really loves him, but you don't put a $1-million dollar crystal sculpture of Abraham Lincoln in a kindergarten classroom filled with 25 kids bent on destruction.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I certainly hope some team drafts Austin in the Top 5 or 6. What a silly choice that would be. Even in a talent-poor draft class, there are a plethora of smallish slot receiver types who would be able to contribute immediately.

Go watch some Ryan Swope film and you'll feel better knowing we can get him in the 2nd or 3rd round and he'll put together 85% of the production of Austin.

Or his college teammate Steadman Bailey who could be had in the 3rd or 4th rounds.

OP
OP
red desert

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I know Mitch really loves him, but you don't put a $1-million dollar crystal sculpture of Abraham Lincoln in a kindergarten classroom filled with 25 kids bent on destruction.

Nothing in his history tells us he is anywhere near a crystal sculpture. Dude is Steve Smith tough. :)

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No Freaking Way!

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Fine. If he's gone in the Top 6, it just means we have a better chance of getting one of the top-flight offensive linemen at #7. Same goes for Geno Smith, Star Lotulelei, etc.

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Browns would be the only team before us that would possibly take him and even that is a long shot.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Nothing in his history tells us he is anywhere near a crystal sculpture. Dude is Steve Smith tough. :)

Bad comparison. Steve Smith has 25 pounds on Tavon. Steve Smith is one of the thickest players you will ever meet.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
There is no temptation. I hope he gets picked in the top 6 for the sole reason that it will push another player to us that wouldn't otherwise be there.

We have Larry, our slot guy in Roberts, and a first rounder last year in Floyd. Anybody that knows any football what-so-ever knows that you don't give up on a wide receiver after one year.

WE ARE NOT TAKING ANOTHER WIDE RECEIVER. Matt Millen is no longer a GM, and he certainly is not the GM for our team.

OP
OP
red desert

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not to mention that Steve Smith was a 3rd round pick, not a top 10 pick.

But knowing what we know now, Steve Smith would have been justified as a top ten pick. IMO.

We could go on and on about this point, tit for tat, example for and example against, in hindsight.

the argument here is Tavon.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
But knowing what we know now, Steve Smith would have been justified as a top ten pick. IMO.

We could go on and on about this point, tit for tat, example for and example against, in hindsight.

the argument here is Tavon.

I guess, but we don't know that Tavon is going to become the next Steve Smith. If you could guarantee me that Tavon Austin was going to have Steve Smith's career, he'd be the top pick in this draft class. But you can't guarantee that.

The argument isn't that Tavon sucks--although I happen to think that he's a gadget player in the NFL and not going to get the 125 receptions and 1400 yards that Mitch is predicting from him to start his career. The argument is that Austin doesn't deserve to be on top of any team's draft board because as a slot WR/scatback he has far too many question marks than other high-profile prospects at the top of the round.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Tavon Austin is the number one "X Factor" player in this draft. His presence on the field changes everything and puts tremendous pressure on defenses to know at all times where he is and to do all they can to contain his speed. In order to do that you have to have safety help on him over the top---which means, if you put Tavon to Fitz's side, the defense can't bracket Fitz with the safety anymore.

In addition---you can use him as a RB a few times a game and/or pitch him the ball on reverses from the slot---his career ypc at West Virginia was close to 10 yards a carry.

When you get him in the field he is unbelievably difficult to corral---his ability to run with the ball at 4.3 speed and side-step a tackler is uncanny and Barry Sanders---esque. His 0-60 speed rate is off the charts.

Check out Mel Kiper's take on TA---and because TA played at Dunbar H.S. in Maryland, Mel watched him all through high school. Check it out:

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news...n-Austin/99100301-306e-44ad-b06e-dfafe9be6077

If you think the Cardinals are not even considering TA---guess what Steve Keim was doing moments after the Carson Palmer press conference---he was watching more tape of TA.

The object of this game is to move the chains and score TDs---this guy gives you a better chance to do that than any other player in the draft.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Tavon Austin is the number one "X Factor" player in this draft. His presence on the field changes everything and puts tremendous pressure on defenses to know at all times where he is and to do all they can to contain his speed. In order to do that you have to have safety help on him over the top---which means, if you put Tavon to Fitz's side, the defense can't bracket Fitz with the safety anymore.

Only until he drops his first pass or is laid out by a safety on a skinny post. In the NFL, you have to make plays before teams actively account for you. This was the lesson of Anquan Boldin't rookie year.

In addition---you can use him as a RB a few times a game and/or pitch him the ball on reverses from the slot---his career ypc at West Virginia was close to 10 yards a carry.

When you get him in the field he is unbelievably difficult to corral---his ability to run with the ball at 4.3 speed and side-step a tackler is uncanny and Barry Sanders---esque. His 0-60 speed rate is off the charts.

Check out Mel Kiper's take on TA---and because TA played at Dunbar H.S. in Maryland, Mel watched him all through high school. Check it out:

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news...n-Austin/99100301-306e-44ad-b06e-dfafe9be6077

If you think the Cardinals are not even considering TA---guess what Steve Keim was doing moments after the Carson Palmer press conference---he was watching more tape of TA.

The object of this game is to move the chains and score TDs---this guy gives you a better chance to do that than any other player in the draft.

Source for that assertion?

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I would add this---some of you are old enough to remember Terry Metcalf and Mel Gray and how they electrified the Cardinals' offense---well, Tavon Austin is Terry Metcalf and Mel Gray combined. In TA---you get both---so for those of you who are thinking "oh just another WR", that's not the case---add in what he does for you in flipping the field on returns and you are talking about an electrifying triple-threat.

OP
OP
red desert

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Austin reminds me of DeSean Jackson who was a 2nd round pick.

DeSean and Austin are similar with respect to straight line speed and ability in the punt return game.

However...

Where Austin is superior is the wiggle and elusiveness. He has once in a decade kinda elusiveness. DeSean not so much.

In my opinion.

OP
OP
red desert

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would add this---some of you are old enough to remember Terry Metcalf and Mel Gray and how they electrified the Cardinals' offense---well, Tavon Austin is Terry Metcalf and Mel Gray combined. In TA---you get both---so for those of you who are thinking "oh just another WR", that's not the case---add in what he does for you in flipping the field on returns and you are talking about an electrifying triple-threat.

I've made the Terry Metcalf comparison before, but not the Metcalf/Gray comparison. Nice job, MItch. You are spot on with that one.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard