The Robber (Der Räuber)

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Based on a novel by the Austrian author Martin Prinz, and shot on location in Vienna, The Robber was one of the most critically acclaimed films featured at last year's New York Film Festival. The film was also an official selection at the 2010 Berlin and Toronto Film Festivals.

The film's main character, Johann Rettenberger, was inspired by the life of Austrian bank robber and runner Johann Kastenberger, a man who set records in long-distance races while - in the rest of his free time - secretly knocked over bank after bank. Widely referred to as "Shotgun Ronnie," after the Ronald Reagan mask he wore and the shotgun used in his robberies, Rettenberger still holds the record time in the Bergmarathon, a famous race held in the Austrian Alps.

A real rollercoaster of an action film. It suffers a bit because I think the main character's motivations for his robberies could have been explored a bit more. His reasons are hinted at, but never fully explained.

I suppose that is because the real life Kastenberger was himself an enigma and modern psychology has never been able to neatly explain the reasons for Kastenbergers behavior.

Regardless, The Robber is a fascinating portrait of one man's pathological compulsions combined with adrenaline-pumping chase scenes.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Good find Renz, I'll check this out.

It's gotta be better than Tango & Cash.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
A real rollercoaster of an action film. It suffers a bit because I think the main character's motivations for his robberies could have been explored a bit more. His reasons are hinted at, but never fully explained.

I suppose that is because the real life Kastenberger was himself an enigma and modern psychology has never been able to neatly explain the reasons for Kastenbergers behavior.

Regardless, The Robber is a fascinating portrait of one man's pathological compulsions combined with adrenaline-pumping chase scenes.

Fantastic film. Yeah, enigma indeed. This guy took compulsion to the absolute extreme.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard