The Positive Kyler Murray News Thread

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
1) Has there ever been a team with a roster as bad as ours and a top 5 paid QB that was able to rebuild into a SB contender/winner? Is it even realistic to think we could do it?

2) I think we are at square 1 today.
Spot on. We're at square 1. We now need a complete re-tooling. We didn't tear it down to the studs; we burned the house down. These two drafts are merely laying the foundation; next year's FA will (hopefully) build the frame. The next offseason will (hopefully) finish the house. It's a long turnaround, given what we did and didn't do this offseason.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
1) Has there ever been a team with a roster as bad as ours and a top 5 paid QB that was able to rebuild into a SB contender/winner? Is it even realistic to think we could do it?

the Lions look on their way
hired a no nonsense coach, new FO and (re) turned Goff into a productive QB. Would it surprise anyone if they won the North this year?

to make it work, the team will have to draft really well

its how KC keeps making it work

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
hired a no nonsense coach, new FO and (re) turned Goff into a productive QB. Would it surprise anyone if they won the North this year?

Don’t disagree at all. KC makes it work because they have a great culture from the very tip to the very bottom of their organization. I would advise everyone to go watch Quarterback on Netflix. Wow that was good!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Weird that they haven't won anything or even made the playoffs yet, and people are so desperate for hope that they're like "Why can't we be the Lions???"

WakeForestCard

Veteran
Reaction score
Weird that they haven't won anything or even made the playoffs yet, and people are so desperate for hope that they're like "Why can't we be the Lions???"
Probably because a jump from 3-13-1 to 9-8 (after starting 1-6) over one year is a solid trajectory? Will it continue past where they currently are? That's TBD, of course. But I fail to see how one could think it's "weird" to want something similar.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Probably because a jump from 3-13-1 to 9-8 (after starting 1-6) over one year is a solid trajectory? Will it continue past where they currently are? That's TBD, of course. But I fail to see how one could think it's "weird" to want something similar.
Can we wait to see if they complete that trajectory to success instead of assuming it's a sustainable model because they went 5-1 against maybe the weakest division in the NFL last year and scrabbled together a 4-5 record against the rest of the league while also somehow losing to Carolina and giving up 29 points to the New England Patriots lead by Matt Patricia?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
the "highly paid QB + starting from 0 roster" filters guarantee a really small number of choices

so yes, the Lions are the best I can offer up

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be a lot of subjective data to sift through. Let me know what you come up with; I'm surely not going to do it.
I don't.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike Sando of The Athletic posted their annual "QB Tiers" article today. Here are some highlights:

This year, the 50 league insiders who placed 30 veteran quarterbacks into tiers included eight general managers, 10 head coaches, 15 coordinators, 10 executives, four quarterbacks coaches and three involved in coaching/analytics.

Tier 1
A Tier 1 quarterback can carry his team each week. The team wins because of him. He expertly handles pure passing situations. He has no real holes in his game.

Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Rodgers, Herbert.

Tier 2
A Tier 2 quarterback can carry his team sometimes but not as consistently. He can handle pure passing situations in doses and/or possesses other dimensions that are special enough to elevate him above Tier 3. He has a hole or two in his game.

Hurts, Jackson, Lawrence, Prescott, Stafford, Watson, Cousins.

Tier 3
A Tier 3 quarterback is a legitimate starter but needs a heavier running game and/or defensive component to win. A lower-volume dropback passing offense suits him best.

Kyler Murray (ranked 13th overall):

Murray dropped into Tier 3 after a rough season that ended for him with a torn ACL after 11 starts.
“I’m anxious to see how he handles the ACL because when you are that electric, it’s kind of like the RG3 thing, where you wonder what is going to happen,” an offensive coordinator said. “The difference is, Kyler can really throw the football.”

Last season became a referendum on Murray’s leadership and work ethic after the Cardinals included and later removed from his contract a clause requiring Murray to study his playbook.

“When he was healthy, he was the reason they were a playoff team (in 2021),” the lone voter who placed Murray in the top tier said. “It wasn’t because of their defense or special teams, or DeAndre Hopkins or a great run game. It was his ability to make plays. When a guy can take over games as often as he did, it means he is the franchise. The leadership part could knock him down.”

More than leadership knocked down Murray for others.

“He obviously gives up on the play way too quick,” an exec said. “He is a mismatch against the defense when he takes off, but you just can’t get to Tier 1 unless you can win from the pocket consistently, which we see all the time in the playoffs.”

An offensive coach thought the Cardinals erred pairing a young, less mature Murray with veteran receivers such as Larry Fitzgerald, A.J. Green and Hopkins, suggesting Murray was never going to earn their respect out of the gates.

“It is really weird when you are young,” this coach said. “What happens is those guys are naturally tougher on you. You can come off some type of way. Now, the work ethic stuff and the intangible part of the job, enough is out there where that is real. Kyler has to establish that with a fresh start, because on the field, I think he is a Tier 2 quarterback, if he is healthy.”

The rest of Tier 3: Carr, Goff, Wilson, Tagovailoa, Garoppolo, D. Jones, Smith, Fields, Tannehill, M. Jones

Tier 4
A Tier 4 quarterback could be an unproven player (not enough information for voters to classify) or a veteran who ideally would not start all 17 games.

Purdy, Pickett, Love, Mayfield, Howell, Ridder, Minshew.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think Sando's stuff is fair, if not a tad generous

i do like it comes from other NFL people rather than media
True, but he has Lawrence 8th after one good year. I wouldn't put him above any of the ones he listed also in Tier 2. Prescott, Stafford, Watson, Cousins

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would make the argument Lawrence is the only player ascending if you are grouping him with Dak, Staff, Watson and Cousins.
That's fair, but I wouldn't say he is better than any of them right now.
I would take T Law all day everyday over those guys.. and I don’t think it’s even close.
If I was starting a franchise from scratch, I might too. If I needed to win a playoff game, I'm not as sure.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I
I think it's moreso the shock that the Lions are something to shoot for. Whoda thunk it?!