The OL.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Looked solid again today. Could we *gasp* have a decent line this season?

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I see a huge improvment. They are far from dominating but less and less mistakes & everyone is looking solid.

I am a big Lecky supporter but I think Johnson is a good player.

I also have been thrilled with Gandy so far.

IMO this line would be set if they left M.Brown at LG.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
I didn't notice too many things wrong with the line play today, which is awesome. Levi's false start and a slow running game to start were a couple that stick out. I thought it was great when Levi manhandled his man around the QB, I believe on the long Castille catch.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I see a huge improvment. They are far from dominating but less and less mistakes & everyone is looking solid.

Amen. I'm impressed. I (ugh) think the focus on our big weakness is now going to shift to "certain" LB and DB positions.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Upon initial viewing, it seems like we flip-flopped from last week. The pass blocking seemed MUCH better, but our run blocking left a lot to be desired from the first unit. But, at least it's progress in one area and hopefully just a blip in the other.

I really do believe this line just needs to be mediocre for the offense to be able to do some serious damage.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you get a chance to watch the game again, watch the first play of the game when they run the reverse to Boldin. The only O lineman in the picture is Levi and he literally pancakes his man on the play.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I didn't notice too many things wrong with the line play today, which is awesome. Levi's false start and a slow running game to start were a couple that stick out. I thought it was great when Levi manhandled his man around the QB, I believe on the long Castille catch.

I was at the game today and after that play, a guy a couple of rows behind me yelled out, "it must be the jersey, burn it.", made me chuckle.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Pleasently surprised with Levi Brown! Agree that run blocking was lacking today but good pass blocking.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how did the second and third string offensive line do?

They all played fairly well today. It didn't seem to make much of a difference who was in there. I sure hope that is the result of having Grimm here.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I was at the game today and after that play, a guy a couple of rows behind me yelled out, "it must be the jersey, burn it.", made me chuckle.

Anyone else notice that play with about 1:48 left in the first quarter, a completion to BJ in the left flat, that the LT threw a cut/roll block at the DE?

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
how did the second and third string offensive line do?

Qasim Mitchell looked very good. I don't know much about him but he was by far our 3rd best T. He had 3 pancake blocks in the 4th qtr and on one play, he looked to block the DT inside but the G picked him up. The DE went wide and the RB looked to have that assignment but Qasim hustled big time and just got a piece of the DE. Not sure if he missed the initial assignment or not but hell of a hustle play...not giving up. He definitely had RB help but the back missed the block completely.

Vallejo struggled in pass protection but looked solid in run blocking...getting to the second level effectively on a few plays too.

Gorin...blah. Qasim takes his spot.

Elton Brown was hustling all over and his blocks were solid.

#65 Johnson got beaten badly on 1 play but recovered the fumble by the QB.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We still have this nagging problem with picking up short yardage first downs with Edge in the backfield. But it may be as much a function of predictable play calling as it is execution.

Note - I just picked up this annual guide called Pro Football Prospectus, which does a very good job of (a) refuting most conventional league statistics and (b) offering different stats with new meanings.

They spent a great deal of reviewing the Cardinals, Edge and the O-line. (Note - their first quotable quote was 2006 Forecast - The Cardinals were who we thought they were." 2007 Projection - "They seem to be on the right track, but the numbers say to postpone the ass-crowning ceremonies.").

Another wry comment they made was about various Arizona running backs suffering from "Running Behind the Cardinal Offensive Line Disease.")

They analyze what went wrong in the 2nd half of the Bear loss. Arizona set up in one-receiver (i.e. running formations) only 3.3% of the time during the season and ran the ball on 91 percent of those times. When Arizona used this in the second half of the Chicago game, Dennis Green also held up a large sign that said: "This is a run up the middle." (The failure by Edge to pick up the first down on 3rd & one may have been as much a problem with the predictability of the play call as it was with execution - although Terrelle Smith did seem to be a bit out of synch on that play).

Their Final Comment - [Under Whisenhunt]"...Expect a Cardinal team that looks more like a real football team and less like a fantasy team come to life..."

Last edited:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone else notice that play with about 1:48 left in the first quarter, a completion to BJ in the left flat, that the LT threw a cut/roll block at the DE?
Tis nice to finally have an LT to do that correctly.

;)

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We still have this nagging problem with picking up short yardage first downs with Edge in the backfield. But it may be as much a function of predictable play calling as it is execution.

Note - I just picked up this annual guide called NFL Prospectus, which does a very good job of (a) refuting most conventional league statistics and (b) offering different stats with new meanings.

They spent a great deal of reviewing the Cardinals, Edge and the O-line. (Note - their first quotable quote was 2006 Forecast - The Cardinals were who we thought they were." 2007 Projection - "They seem to be on the right track, but the numbers say to postpone the ass-crowning ceremonies.").

Another wry comment they made was about various Arizona running backs suffering from "Running Behind the Cardinal Offensive Line Disease.")

They analyze what went wrong in the 2nd half of the Bear loss. Arizona set up in one-receiver (i.e. running formations) only 3.3% of the time during the season and ran the ball on 91 percent of those times. When Arizona used this in the second half of the Chicago game, Dennis Green also held up a large sign that said: "This is a run up the middle." (The failure by Edge to pick up the first down on 3rd & one may have been as much a problem with the predictability of the play call as it was with execution - although Terrelle Smith did seem to be a bit out of synch on that play).

Their Final Comment - [Under Whisenhunt]"...Expect a Cardinal team that looks more like a real football team and less like a fantasy team come to life..."

I thought the same thing. It became nightmarishly clear that we were so predictable with our playcalling last year it wasn't even funny. Did we ever try to run outside? I'm sure we probably did, but all I remember was Edge up the middle.

I am hoping to see JJ on the edges this year.

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
Our OL looked better with Shipp than with Edge... Edge is playing complacent or bored I can't tell...

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score
Our OL looked better with Shipp than with Edge... Edge is playing complacent or bored I can't tell...

he is just mailing it in right now I think--I hope. He'll hopefully come to play in the regular season. LT doesn't even play in preseason.

I still think Shipp should be brought in for 4th & 1 and goal-line situations, or other short-yardage.

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
he is just mailing it in right now I think--I hope. He'll hopefully come to play in the regular season. LT doesn't even play in preseason.

I still think Shipp should be brought in for 4th & 1 and goal-line situations, or other short-yardage.

You may be correct, but if this is true than I am disappointed that Whis and gang are not asking more... this is a TEAM sport, the rest of the team doesn't care how good you WERE ONCE! They are all being asked to bust it for however long they play.. same goes for LT as far as I am concerned.

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score
You may be correct, but if this is true than I am disappointed that Whis and gang are not asking more... this is a TEAM sport, the rest of the team doesn't care how good you WERE ONCE! They are all being asked to bust it for however long they play.. same goes for LT as far as I am concerned.

I agree with you--he should show some fire but Edge has a history of this I believe.

LT just doesn't want to risk injury I think--and given his supreme importance and track record I don't think the Chargers mind too much.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

If that's the case I'd rather see Edge just watch the games. Going at less than full speed is a good way to get hurt.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson