The Official US Soccer thread

Discussion in 'World Sports' started by coyoteshockeyfan, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Stout

Stout I gave my cards a victory...

Can't believe a world class soccer executive like Ernie Stewart would hire him :sarcasm:

2. Zeno

Zeno Ancient

I blame Carlos Cordeiro more, we replaced Sunil Gulati with Sunil Gulati version 2.0.

3. dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks Chopped Liver Moderator Contributor

+1

JK had his faults, sure. I honestly felt we were heading in the right direction with him in charge, minus the Costa Rica game. I fully believe 100% that if he were still the manager, we would have made the WC.

How about dem ladies? 13-0? Are you kidding me?

4. Stout

Boy, I sure don't. We were going nowhere fast under JK. Problem is, we had rot in the locker room, and BA didn't shake up the roster. Then, after we missed, we had to get it absolutely right. Then when hire Ernie freaking Stewart...huh?...who takes thirty years to hire Greg freaking Berhalter. WTF?

5. dreamcastrocks

Disagree, losing to Mexico at home at the last minute and losing to Costa Rica on the road where we never play well isn't a dealbreaker at all. Even if it is 4-0. Losing to T&T is embarrassing.

6. Stout

Except he backed us into a position where losing both crushed us. Granted the T&T loss was embarrassing, but that's because we hired the wrong coach who did nothing to shake up the team. Firing JK and hiring the wrong coach was stupid; should have fired JK and brought in someone at least willing to change the status quo.

7. dreamcastrocks

Completely disagree. The Costa Rica should be have been seen as a loss as we have never performed well there. Also, losing to Mexico wasn't that big of a deal either. It was an overreaction to sack him, just like it was to hire Arena and Cordeiro.

8. Stout

As I recall it, we were backed into really needing something from them because of results earlier in qualifying. I could be wrong.

9. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

The best of the best in US Soccer barely squeaked out a win against a country with a population of 160,000 people.

10. Stout

Yeah, this was a crapfest of a game. They had exactly ONE shot on goal, I think, after scoring in the 25th minute, I think it was. God have mercy, but that was a painful one to watch.

11. gmabel830

gmabel830 It's football season!!

One down one to go.... Congrats USWNT!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. gmabel830

gmabel830 It's football season!!

Oh well, 1 out of 2 ain't bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Stout

I know it's cliche for a fan to say, but that ref has GOT to have been paid off, right? I mean, you have a ball kicked into a prone player's head, a Mexican player jumping down with a knee on a prone player's back, and a Mexican player choking a U.S. player, and the ref never even issues a YELLOW card? Not to mention that the ref illegally, with total disregard to the rules of the game, blows the whistle, stops the game, and GIFTS the Mexicans the ball with a drop ball when it hit the ref in the run of play? The U.S. players were FUMING.

All that bull crap aside--Mexico should have been down to 9 men with almost half the game to go--Berhalter came up well short. Our midfield had all the shape and spine of melting butter. Why did he keep switching captains, especially giving it to the youngsters? McKennie isn't a captain, nor is Pulisic, for all of his skill. Berhalter was sadly outcoached and we were totally outplayed in the 2nd half. I mean, we're never going to kick on and get world respect again if we can't manage to win a tournament on home soil again. We haven't won a Gold Cup since, I think they said, 2011? Pathetic. And we barely, barely squeaked by CURACAO to reach the semis. I mean, we had to hang in by our fingernails against CURACAO.

14. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

You know what's funny? Posts dedicated to this joke of a USMNT and nothing about the women, who just won the World Cup.

It's embarrassing. Just like the USMNT.

15. Stout

You know what, Chap? Well said. Well frickin' said. How is it possible we have the embarrassing pay gap between the two teams. There should be a pay gap--in FAVOR of the USWNT.