The official "Hey, Stout - it's another remake!" thread

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Is the original screenplay dead?
Major studios prefer the 'presold behemoth'

LOS ANGELES, California (Hollywood Reporter) -- His name is Charlie Kaufman, and he writes original screenplays; even when, technically, he's writing an "Adaptation," it morphs away from the source material into an uniquely original creation.

Odds are, Kaufman will take home an Oscar on February 27 for his defiantly unpredictable original screenplay "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind." But in the process, he has become the great anomaly in Hollywood, the exception that proves the rule.

Kaufman has grabbed so much attention for such wildly genre-busting films as "Sunshine" and "Being John Malkovich" that he has become a brand name. (Contrary to myth, Kaufman does plenty of PR; he just hates having his picture taken.) Such actors as Nicolas Cage and Jim Carrey cut their price to be in his movies. Directors Spike Jonze ("Adaptation") and Michel Gondry ("Eternal Sunshine") are happy to collaborate with him. The IMDb listing for the original screenplay that Kaufman is currently writing reads, "Untitled Spike Jonze/Charlie Kaufman project."

In a film industry known for shunting scripters aside and type-casting them like actors -- he's good at action, she'll do the chick polish -- Kaufman has achieved a measure of autonomy. And, at the same time, he admits that he sweats and suffers for fear of being dull, familiar or ordinary.

But isn't that what screenwriters are supposed to do? Not anymore.

Most people in Hollywood stick Kaufman into his Resident Genius niche and leave him there. The major studios aren't looking for writers like him. His movies aren't huge grossers. His biggest hit, "Eternal Sunshine," grossed $34.5 million domestically. In the studio universe, that's chump change.

Instead, scripts like Kaufman's have become the purview of the mini-majors and specialty divisions, which are able to produce them on a budget. This year's nominations for original screenplay, as selected by the Writers Guild of America (WGA) and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS), are largely culled from the studio indie ranks, which released such titles as Zach Braff's "Garden State," Keir Pearson and Terry George's "Hotel Rwanda," Mike Leigh's "Vera Drake" and Bill Condon's "Kinsey."

Walt Disney Co. subsidiary Miramax Films, known for its unusual support of solo scripters, co-financed "The Aviator," written by John Logan, along with Initial Entertainment Group and Warner Bros. Pictures.

"There are so few contenders in that category from the studio world," says Nancy Nigrosh, a literary agent at Innovative Artists.

That's because, as the Montecito Picture Co.'s Tom Pollock observes, studios aren't interested in "doing any movies that aren't presold behemoths. It's very hard to presell anything original." Given the enormous cost of making movies, the majors know what they want: event pictures aimed at the widest possible audience.
Visuals, not words

With few exceptions, they buy straight-ahead, easy-sell scripts that are routine and familiar. Studios innovate on eye-popping visuals, not mind-bending screenplays. They don't make original adult dramas such as "Chinatown" and "The Conversation" anymore. They'd rather update "established" titles such as "Alfie," "The Manchurian Candidate" and "Flight of the Phoenix."
Chinatown
"Chinatown" (1974) had a twisty, award-winning script by Robert Towne. The movie would probably get little support from major studios today.

Paradoxically, the list of the top-grossing movies of all time includes an impressive number of originals that spawned countless sequels and imitations: "Star Wars," "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial," "Independence Day," "The Sixth Sense" and "The Matrix." Even "Titanic," the mother blockbuster of all time, came from the fertile brain of James Cameron.

When these movies were made, each presented an enormous risk. They weren't obvious green lights. Creating franchises isn't always about adapting comics, video games, TV shows, kids books, old movies and Japanese horror picture. Sometimes, it's actually about nurturing a fresh idea, though that notion seems to have been lost.

Not entirely, though. Just as Kaufman represents an individual anomaly, as a company, so does Pixar Animation Studios. Its writers have summoned out of the ether an astonishing series of delightful, unexpected stories that played well to audiences all over the world.

Pixar's computer-animated features were, of course, visually gorgeous, but it has been the inventive stories and characters that made "Toy Story," "A Bug's Life," "Monsters, Inc.," "Finding Nemo" and this year's Oscar-nominated "The Incredibles" into global blockbusters. As a result, Pixar has become a brand name.

It's not that the other studios don't appreciate originality, it's just that they don't know how to sell it without wrapping it in some sort of brand identification. For "I, Robot," for example, 20th Century Fox developed an original script by Jeff Vintar and merged it with the Isaac Asimov title, with Akiva Goldsman (Oscar-winner for "A Beautiful Mind") working on the final screenplay.

For "The Bourne Identity" and its sequel, writer Tony Gilroy started with a premise and several characters from the Robert Ludlum novel but then veered off into his own imagination. Gilroy is now home writing his own real original, says Scott Stuber, Universal Pictures vice chairman of worldwide production.

In the case of Paul Weitz's spec script "In Good Company," Stuber adds, it was a struggle to create a modestly budgeted hit, even though the film received solid reviews. "We're a first-weekend business," he admits. "Those movies are not designed to open at $30 million-plus."

When it comes to accommodating originals, the studios do permit their favorite hyphenates -- from M. Night Shyamalan and James L. Brooks to Cameron Crowe and Quentin Tarantino -- to hibernate with idiosyncratic original material because they know that they will be able to execute what they write as well as lure name stars. "These people are gold," Stuber says. "It's one-stop shopping."

But pity the working screenwriter who wants to connect to his or her muse. "There's never been less interest in an original screenplay," says Larry Gross ("We Don't Live Here Anymore"). "Now all movies are borrowed and ripped off. They want to stamp out all signs of a distinctive original voice."

So even though several awards for original screenplays will be handed out in the next few weeks, most writers know their originals will never be produced -- instead, they use them as calling cards.

"You write something original that springs full blown from your forehead in order to launch or reinvigorate your career," says Howard Rodman, dean of the USC screenwriting department. "The studios use them to figure out who's a good writer. But they don't get made. What the studios consider a studio movie has never been narrower than it is now."

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
So unbelieveably sad. Oh well. We knew how stale, lumbering, and ineffective Hollywood has become for quite some time now. Let's just keep hoping for a few decent big-studio movies a year, sprinkled with 20 or so good lower-budget films.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Director Michael Bay recently mentioned that he's working on a remake of The Hitcher, the 1986 horror-thriller which starred C. Thomas Howell, Rutger Hauer, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and Jeffrey DeMunn. In the original, Howell played an innocent driver whose trek across Nevada turns into a deadly game of cat and mouse with a maniacal hitchhiker (Hauer).

:|

Stout

Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
Director Michael Bay recently mentioned that he's working on a remake of The Hitcher, the 1986 horror-thriller which starred C. Thomas Howell, Rutger Hauer, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and Jeffrey DeMunn. In the original, Howell played an innocent driver whose trek across Nevada turns into a deadly game of cat and mouse with a maniacal hitchhiker (Hauer).

:|

And it gets worse DAILY :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...I petition that we change the old saying...

No longer will we say History repeats itself.

From now on it is: Hollywood repeats itself.

:D

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
So what? A bad remake of a bad movie and you guys are complaining?

Why do they need to do a remake? Why not take some of the older movies, mix some of the plots, put in extra twists and make something which has drawn off the source material of older films but is not a remake of the exact movie(s) released 20-30 years ago with new actors and updated slang. :shrug:

Make a movie similar to The Hitcher, but go in a different direction. The Hitcher has been made...make something else.

In 20 or 30 years will we be seeing remakes of Titanic, Braveheart, Forrest Gump, the Matrix trilogy...? :shrug:

:bang:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I've never said that I like the idea of remaking everything under the sun (I'm dreading the day they remake Citizen Kane), but it's not the end of the world. You guys get so worked up about it when you have no stake in it at all. Not that I'd want to make one myself, but if someone knew (or at least convinced someone rich that they know) that a remake of the Hitcher was going to make you a lot money, well, a lot of people would do it. I mean, that's just common sense, right?

The myth of directors making movies that only please themselves is just that--a myth. It's a sad myth, because in reality, unless you have a ton of money to just blow, it's like any other principal when working--to make money--and original movies haven't made any money for 10 years--that's just the sad state of things. You guys know that movies cost a lot of money--from the little indie to the big-budget spectacular. The trick is to make a profit on something you're passionate about. If that happens to be a remake of the Hitcher, then so be it. I won't go see it, but I'm sure a lot of people will. And for that reason, remakes will continue to be made. Just like sequels have continued to be made since the mid-80s.

I want to make my money in the movie business (and I am), but others might want to make their money as an accountant, or a professional athlete. Who are you to criticize their choice? You have your own choice to not contribute to their cause, so you consciously make that choice and move on--but I don't think you should take away the rights of someone to do what they want if they get permission to do it.

That said, a Michael Bay Hitcher remake sounds horrible, just horrible, and I won't spend my money on it, but if that's what he wants to do, then he should do it. You can only hope that people will stay away and force these guys to come up with something original. Besides, Michael Bay has never been original--unless you call The Rock original. :p I'd be more surprised if they said Michael Bay's next movie was something completely different, wouldn't you? :D

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be less bothered by a Hitcher sequel. Aliens went over much better than a remake of the original Alien film would have, IMO.

I'm just getting sick of this because eventually we'll have to clarify which version of each film we're discussing... "Are you referencing the 1954 film, or the 1973 film, or the 1997 film by that name?" :bang:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
I'd be less bothered by a Hitcher sequel. Aliens went over much better than a remake of the original Alien film would have, IMO.

I'm just getting sick of this because eventually we'll have to clarify which version of each film we're discussing... "Are you referencing the 1954 film, or the 1973 film, or the 1997 film by that name?" :bang:

You're definitely right, it's a problem that's pretty sad, I just don't think it's as big a deal. It's been proven that straight remakes don't work--i.e. Psycho--but there are some that are semi-successful, sometimes being even better than the original. That's rare, but it happens.

You're just not going to see major original movies because they don't sell as well as the bigger, more well-known movies. But there are always ways to get the original movies--whether on video or cable.

Stout

Reaction score
KLL said:
The reality is plain and simple... it's all been done...what more can be created?

That's false and shortsighted. You see good, original storylines every year, but because the big studios don't want to take the risk, they remain as lower-rung films gross-wise, but far better films in reality.

Wonder what would happen if all the studios started trying to make new movies? I guess the audiences would stop coming, huh? Oh, no, wait, they'd still come, because they take WHAT THEY ARE FED.

Stout

Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Worked for Shakespeare. :D

Shakespeare blatantly ripped off old storylines...but rarely were they remakes. He simply used them as source material and chaged anything necessary. I'd hate to see him make a play out of LOTR :D

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KLL said:
The reality is plain and simple... it's all been done...what more can be created?

Hey, now - we're not talking about completely original ideas here. Formula films are okay. Example: Under Siege was basically "Die Hard on a boat" but at least it wasn't a remake of Die Hard.

A remake say - "Eh, we got nothin' - isn't there some modestly successful film from a few years back that we could redo and release again?"

Even with remakes, I could understand if it was about adding something/technology that wasn't previously available (not altering the original work though :jedi: ) - but what type of hitchhiking technology wasn't around when The Hitcher was first made? :D

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stout said:
That's false and shortsighted. You see good, original storylines every year, but because the big studios don't want to take the risk, they remain as lower-rung films gross-wise, but far better films in reality.

:milliondollarbaby:

Stout

Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
:milliondollarbaby:

Didn't get to see it and won't get to. :( It's playing within 45 minutes of home, but my time is in such small chunks, that I can't see a movie unless it's right here in town. Even still, the only movie I've seen in the past month has been Life of Brian, at the little town cinema I work at (so it was even free!). We just got Hotel Rwanda, too, so I'll have to see that.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I saw the trailer for the new House of Wax, and it didn't look that at all like the original. Remember, a lot of "remakes" basically borrow the premise of its source material, like Stout pointed out about Shakespeare. A lot of the horror remakes fall into that category, like House On Haunted Hill or Thirteen Ghosts. Ocassionally, a movie actually does do justice for it's original, like the new Dawn of the Dead, which I thought was going to really be bad, but it was actually better than I thought it would be. But then, for every Dawn of the Dead, there's a The Haunting. :D

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but shouldn't the ultimate question be "does the remake in some way taint or deminish the original"? why does hollywood seem obsessed with remaking everything under the sun?

give it time chap - they'll be remaking shawshank at some point too. :rolleyes:

shawn

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
FischerKing said:
but shouldn't the ultimate question be "does the remake in some way taint or deminish the original"? why does hollywood seem obsessed with remaking everything under the sun?

give it time chap - they'll be remaking shawshank at some point too. :rolleyes:

shawn

Depends how you look at it. The newer version of the Haunting doesn't diminish how good the original was. Or, for that matter, Tequila Sunrise, for example, which was a remake of Casablanca. Doesn't make Casablanca a bad movie. It's all a matter of perception I guess.

As for remaking Shawshank, we'd all hate that no question, but if you look at history, most (not all, but most) remakes are remakes of genre movies--mostly horror and action stuff. Shawshank isn't one of the best candidates for a remake because there isn't a lot of other ways to reinterpret the material. Let's just hope they don't go the Psycho route. :eek:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's my issue - obviously there are only so many plotlines that can be done, eventually there is repetition. There is nothing new under the sun.

But - instead of taking an older film and doing a remake, why not take the general plot and go off on some wild tangent. Make a similar movie without using the exact story from the first one.

Duel and Joyride are both about people being terrorized by another motorist, but they are very different films.

And a few remakes here and there wouldn't be all bad. The new Freaky Friday did well, etc. It just seems like overload sometimes.