The Official 2012 Olympics thread

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
USA Swimming is flat out badass right now, and for the foreseeable future as well. That was one hell of a night, and Cullen Jones damn near took the 50 free gold, which is one of the hardest races in swimming to win.

Gonna miss watching Phelps race. :(

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
USA Swimming is flat out badass right now, and for the foreseeable future as well. That was one hell of a night, and Cullen Jones damn near took the 50 free gold, which is one of the hardest races in swimming to win.

Gonna miss watching Phelps race. :(

Hard to imagine we will ever see another one like him in our lifetime... :(

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stupidest "controversy" of the games is all the heat Gabby is getting from the African American women community for "not doing her hair".Unreal, she wins a gold medal in womens all around and people are complaining about her hair?

and she is gracious and eloquent.

BTW, I have found some never before watched by me sports, that I have enjoyed viewing.

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
THE Olympic moment: Oscar Pistorius.

Amazing.

I have VERY mixed feelings on this. One, great for him. Second, this is a very slippery slope and in 2024, when China has a bunch of spring armed gymnasts and run-for-days milers, you'll see the downstream effect.

I love it for him, but I hate it for the things it is fraught with.

And btw, he held back on the prelim, because he would have won it easily but didn't need to. Watch him go for gold..and the controversy will ratchet up then.

Been thinking about him for a long while, as I saw a special on him a year ago...and how it was doubtful he'd get to race. I'm glad he is able to race, but fearful for what loopholes some countries will try to blow through because of it.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I have VERY mixed feelings on this. One, great for him. Second, this is a very slippery slope and in 2024, when China has a bunch of spring armed gymnasts and run-for-days milers, you'll see the downstream effect.

I love it for him, but I hate it for the things it is fraught with.

And btw, he held back on the prelim, because he would have won it easily but didn't need to. Watch him go for gold..and the controversy will ratchet up then.

Been thinking about him for a long while, as I saw a special on him a year ago...and how it was doubtful he'd get to race. I'm glad he is able to race, but fearful for what loopholes some countries will try to blow through because of it.

:thumbup:

AZZenny

Reaction score
I thought about that too, and don't disagree with you at all. But if part of the Olympics is the triumph of human will and resilience of spirit, he nailed the landing.

Another very moving moment was the look of lostness on Michael Phelps face before and shortly after that last race. What a huge part of himself to say goodbye to, and in front of billions of people.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
There is a girl from my high school on the women's 400m hurdles USA team

Georganne Moline

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maroney was the shocker of last night. I think the whole field was shook up after the Canadian fell they all seemed nervous.

In the John Calipari most likely to be vacated file goes the finals of the womens 100 meters. Fraser-Pryce first Jeter second. Everyone thinks Jeter is doping 32 and best times of career training with a coach who's had several runners suspended. And Pryce was suspended 2 years ago for doping saying she took a painkiller for a toothache. There's apparently 3-4 others in the finals that are under heavy suspicion for doping now.

Not that I believe all the men are clean either.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Must see: USA/Canada women's soccer!

Alex Morgan...what a goal! What a game!

AZZenny

Reaction score
like Jordyn whatshername was treated like the big story all the way to the final podium moment, and her prettier, better teammate Aly-something was ignored....

I repeat myself, but... GOLD! She's also a wonderful sportsman. No pouting, very gracious. She and Gabby are impressive young ladies.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Was it Aly-something that complained about her score last night and ended up costing Catalina Ponor a medal?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was it Aly-something that complained about her score last night and ended up costing Catalina Ponor a medal?

The judges gave Aly the wrong difficulty score. The Americans protested, won the protest, raising Aly's score to a tie with Ponor. Aly won the bronze over Ponor in a tie-breaker.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
The judges gave Aly the wrong difficulty score. The Americans protested, won the protest, raising Aly's score to a tie with Ponor. Aly won the bronze over Ponor in a tie-breaker.

Ah, so that's what the NFL officials are doing these days! LOL.

I'll have to console Ms Ponor personally.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Yeah, what I liked was that Aly seemed a little embarrassed when the Karolys stood up shouting for a recount, and went over and hugged Ponor before the judges even decided whether to review or not. Apparently they 'forgot' to count one or more of her specific moves. Also, that she walked off the podium after the team golds were awarded and put her gold medal around her coach's neck -- he started crying at the gesture.

Then later when interviewed, Costas asked if it was true that with the 2000 Olympics on TV, her mother had watched a gymnast's parents tied up in emotional knots and said, "Thank goodness I'll never have to go through that!" Aly said even as a little girl, she was shocked that her Mom didn't realize she was going to make the Olympics someday. With a nearly straight face, she told Costas that actually, she was delighted to have put her mother through all that.

Last edited:

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would imagine the Brits are entering an area of depression now. Great run up, spectacular Olympics and now it is over. Bummer.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard