The Official 2012 Olympics thread

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having every website and non-NBC station spoil things is a big time downer.

You just have to avoid it all like crazy. I (so far) haven't been spoiled yet. I'm recording everything, watching most of it on fast forward and then watching the primetime finals.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats to Phelps - incredible achievement, and he ain't done yet.

Great to see the "fab five" not only hold up under the pressure, but absolutely kill it.

AZZenny

Reaction score
I'm enjoying these Olympics way more than the past couple on NBC - as much as the Canadian coverage of a winter olympics I was lucky enough to catch a decade ago, which set the bar for me.

Between the three NBC channels I get and DVR, plus internet, the coverage seems pretty good and the commentary generally well-done -- though once they pick as 'story' angle they pound it to death, and can't get off it -- like Jordyn whatshername was treated like the big story all the way to the final podium moment, and her prettier, better teammate Aly-something was ignored. And they too often tend to assume if you're watching, you already know the sport - I was watching fencing from the start of the segment, and I was clueless what the terms were and how it's scored.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm enjoying these Olympics way more than the past couple on NBC - as much as the Canadian coverage of a winter olympics I was lucky enough to catch a decade ago, which set the bar for me.

Between the three NBC channels I get and DVR, plus internet, the coverage seems pretty good and the commentary generally well-done -- though once they pick as 'story' angle they pound it to death, and can't get off it -- like Jordyn whatshername was treated like the big story all the way to the final podium moment, and her prettier, better teammate Aly-something was ignored. And they too often tend to assume if you're watching, you already know the sport - I was watching fencing from the start of the segment, and I was clueless what the terms were and how it's scored.

Aly something isn't better than Jordyn something - she was just better on that one night. Aly something was phenomenal, and Jordyn something messed up on floor. The story (while I agree, completely overblown) was that Jordyn was expected to contend for the gold and definitely would have medaled, but for a rule the US pushed for because they are whiny about Russia. Aly had an amazing night, but all around isn't her strong suit. She only did two circuits in the team event last night, while Jordyn and Gabby did 3 and 4.

Yes, Aly had a super night and that is clearly being ignored, as she outscored both of the US gold medal favorites coming in. I think it would be phenomenal if she wins. I like her style - and we'll see if the media goes off on Gabby losing as much if that does happen.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Men's tourney knockout stage:

Who you got?

GB vs S.Korea
Brasil vs Honduras

Mexico vs Senegal
Japan vs Egypt

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hard to believe she's only 17... She is amazingly poised, articulate, grounded... gonne be an enormous success no matter the path she chooses in life.

Thank her Canadian parents (lol)

Her Dad is a business executive who transferred to the US. Her mother a Doctor.

Born in the US, she is a dual citizen and had the option of swimming for Canada.

Last edited:

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Nathan Adrian seems like a really cool guy. Very happy for him!

Seeing the pure joy on these athletes' faces is what makes the Olympics so special. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Aly something isn't better than Jordyn something - she was just better on that one night. Aly something was phenomenal, and Jordyn something messed up on floor. The story (while I agree, completely overblown) was that Jordyn was expected to contend for the gold and definitely would have medaled, but for a rule the US pushed for because they are whiny about Russia. Aly had an amazing night, but all around isn't her strong suit. She only did two circuits in the team event last night, while Jordyn and Gabby did 3 and 4.

Yes, Aly had a super night and that is clearly being ignored, as she outscored both of the US gold medal favorites coming in. I think it would be phenomenal if she wins. I like her style - and we'll see if the media goes off on Gabby losing as much if that does happen.

Yea, yea, yea... BUT, ALy something and Mikayla something are much, much cuter! :D

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rock it Gabby. Aly something got screwed though, why the hell don't they just give two bronze medals for a tie? They do that in swimming and most other sports. gymnastics is chock full of idiotic rules.

The rowing team is awesome, I love watching that for some reason. And usa basketball was the Cream Team, beating Nigeria by 80 points, setting all kinds of records. Phelps was stellar once again, too, and Rebecca Soni rocking a 1:19 and change in the 200 breast was flat out amazing. Another great day for the olympics and Team USA.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stupidest "controversy" of the games is all the heat Gabby is getting from the African American women community for "not doing her hair".Unreal, she wins a gold medal in womens all around and people are complaining about her hair?

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Stupidest "controversy" of the games is all the heat Gabby is getting from the African American women community for "not doing her hair".Unreal, she wins a gold medal in womens all around and people are complaining about her hair?

That's ridiculous. WTH? This is what we should be thinking about:

You must be registered for see images attach

Plus, the floor routine was amazing. It's amazing to watch her sprint, jump, and do all those twists and turns (my highly technical terms, lol) in the air. Incredible. :shock:

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I hope you all are getting more than that NBC highlight package of "America at the Olympics". There are a lot of interesting stories being told about athletes from around the world on other feeds.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope you all are getting more than that NBC highlight package of "America at the Olympics". There are a lot of interesting stories being told about athletes from around the world on other feeds.

Wait there are other countries there?

:D

Not quite as bad this time around but yeah we still have the womens gymnast lady practically cheering when a non US person messes up. The people who did the diving were excellent, very clear the Chinese were just better and they pointed it out repeatedly, no trying to bash them or accuse them of something just pointing out why they're so dominant.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's ridiculous. WTH? This is what we should be thinking about:

You must be registered for see images attach

Plus, the floor routine was amazing. It's amazing to watch her sprint, jump, and do all those twists and turns (my highly technical terms, lol) in the air. Incredible. :shock:

Oh yeah until the sprints womens gymnastics is always my favorite and Gabby frankly made it worth watching. With the talk about Wieber not making it had Gabby NOT done that well it would have been unbearable to listen to they would have just complained about Wieber not making it the whole time.

My girlfriends 7 year old niece is huge into gymnastics and Gabby is now her hero.

AZZenny

Reaction score
I'm really enjoying the dressage stuff on the other NBCs in the mornings - I can catch it if I'm working at home. What spectacular horses.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Haven't heard anything about that Russ?? That's just crazy though! She is beautiful, inside and out. She has incredible star quality and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see her go on and become much more famous than Mary Lou Retton or any other female gymnast. Incredible athlete. Incredible personality. Amazing smile. Endless amounts of cuteness...

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't heard anything about that Russ?? That's just crazy though! She is beautiful, inside and out. She has incredible star quality and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see her go on and become much more famous than Mary Lou Retton or any other female gymnast. Incredible athlete. Incredible personality. Amazing smile. Endless amounts of cuteness...

I like Makayla something better. :shrug:

:D

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Missy Franklin blows away the world record in the 200 meter backstroke, and Biesel grabs the Bronze. Wow!! :thumbup:

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure makes you wonder how many medals Ledecky and Franklin could pick up should they decide to do this another eight years or so.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard