The Official 2012 Olympics thread

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Opening ceremonies are tomorrow. (Gonna DVR it since I will be in Flag.) I am excited. I really like the Olympics.

So, who else will be watching the games?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I'll be trying to watch as much as possible. I really enjoy the Olympics as well...

Just got back last night from London... I love London. Definitely one of my favorite cities and Great Britain is one of my favorite countries! Had business down on the coast, right next to Dover. Then drove 3 hours north just south of Cambridge for another meeting... the countryside is gorgeous. Had dinner one night at Jaime Oliver's restaurant - Cricketers. Tremendous meal!

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
The Opening Ceremonies will be tape delayed in America.

It starts at 7:30pmet.

4:30az time

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah right, the period every four years when we're reminded of how much makeup Bob Costas wears.

AZZenny

Reaction score
I wasn't sure at first, but now -- absolutely brilliant.

When was the last time you laughed out loud - several times - during an opening ceremonies? For the last however-many Olympics, everyone has gone bigger, flashier, more pyrotechnic -- by comparison, Danny Boyle has aimed for understated. It's a more human scale, and very British humor. Only thing missing is Monty Python, but I've Tivo'd it and am an hour behind, so there's still hope.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mike Reynolds -- Multichannel News, 7/28/2012 3:14:30 PM

NBC is wearing Nielsen gold after delivering the most-watched opening ceremony in Summer Games history.

The Peacock's July 27 taped coverage of Danny Boyle's $42.3 million "Isles of Wonder" extravaganza from 8 p.m. to 12:02 (ET/PT) notched a 21.0 national rating, 37 share and averaged 40.7 million watchers, according to Nielsen data. That delivery eased past the 39.8 million viewers who NBC's presentation of the opening ceremony of the Atlanta Games in 1996.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a TV station where one can watch the Olympics live or even over the internet? I'm wanting free live coverage if there is such a thing.

Watching taped sporting events does not do it for me. I so wish they would do a TV channel 24/7 for the Olympics. Snippets on NBC in the evening does not give much flavor of the days events being chopped up so to speak.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Is there a TV station where one can watch the Olympics live or even over the internet? I'm wanting free live coverage if there is such a thing.

Watching taped sporting events does not do it for me. I so wish they would do a TV channel 24/7 for the Olympics. Snippets on NBC in the evening does not give much flavor of the days events being chopped up so to speak.

vipbox.tv

A friend of mine posted this on Facebook, I haven't tried it but he's usually on top of these kinds of things.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
vipbox.tv

A friend of mine posted this on Facebook, I haven't tried it but he's usually on top of these kinds of things.

Thanks I will take a look.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryan Lochte is going to own this Olympics. He is just driven right now. This is Michael's farewell, retirement tour, and he'll get his three medals in order to become the most decorated, but he doesn't have the drive he had in China. He met his goals there, and everything else is gravy.

Lochte is making this his own personal Bejing, and is going to kill London.

However, it's kind of scary to think about how hard Ryan has trained since 2008 with the sole goal of London domination, and he STILL couldn't hit Phelps' 2008 world record mark (in an event that Phelps vocally talks about disliking). It just shows absolutely how huge of a beast Phelps was four years ago.

I do hope these guys come down to a 1-2 race down the stretch though in one of these finals they'll square off in.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Honduras eliminated Spain's team from the men's football tournament. Excellent representation for the concacaf.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That really sucks for the female gymnasts...kind of a dumb rule for only two from each country to represent in the all-around. If one of the top 4 overall gymnasts can't compete for the all-around gold while 19 others with lower scores than her can, simply because her country has two of the other top 4, well, then your rule is idiotic.

Also, thought the mens' 4x100 freestyle relay was going to pull it off, and shocked that the aussies didn't medal! Phelps got one of the three medals he needs though, so that's great.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I still can't quite understand why Lezak didn't swim last for the relay team yesterday.

Been a good games so far. The Chinese are looking strong again though, which is a worry.

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
Honduras eliminated Spain's team from the men's football tournament. Excellent representation for the concacaf.

Was at that game yesterday and we were sat next to a family from Honduras. I couldn't help but cheer them on by the end.

All very good and pleased I have been to an Olympic event now. I had the chance to go to Barcalona in '92 and regretted it.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
She's so damn awesome - I love her attitude.

The swimmers are so much fun.

Hard to believe she's only 17... She is amazingly poised, articulate, grounded... gonne be an enormous success no matter the path she chooses in life.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to believe she's only 17... She is amazingly poised, articulate, grounded... gonne be an enormous success no matter the path she chooses in life.

Having my two oldest as swimmers, it's nice to have sports role models like that to look up to. My daughter is a state-level backstroker, so last night's men's and women's 100 back was especially awesome. :)

Missy does not think like a 17 year old, but she still acts like one, which is awesome. She's not overly tight and focused, and still loose and having fun. I see a lot of even young swimmers that are wound tight and don't look like they have fun swimming. Team USA is incredibly loose across the board.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having every website and non-NBC station spoil things is a big time downer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson