THE Newcastle United FC thread

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Opinion stated as objective fact. Pass.

As for the rest, yeah, an absolutely incredible run. The fact that they're going to be in Europe and still might make the CL is a minor miracle. That's a great revival, but only possible because of the great hiccups you mention.

You thought Newcastle would be in Europe?
Hell, I thought top 10 would be a win. Howe is on record as saying he just didn't want there to be a cloud of possible relegation--he merely wanted them to stay clear of that scrap. Definitely way ahead of the plan.

Side note: My mother really, really likes that really, really tall and handsome German coach lol
Yep. Pretty sure I stated it in this thread too.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm going to go ahead and say that Liverpool's draw means a Champion's League spot is done and dusted for Newcastle. Now let's finish 3rd ahead of Man U. And let's officially clinch the CL in front of the home crowd. Howe-way the lads!

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Nail in the coffin game today. Put Leicester to the sword and help put Liverpool out of their misery. Although I don't care for Liverpool, it would be funny to see them qualify for CL over Man U.

Howe-way the lads!

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Welp, it wasn't pretty, but it got the job down. Howe-way the lads for making it into the Champions League!!! :beer:Effing A right, Mags!

Should've been 4 or 5 to nil into the middle of the 2nd, then Leicester actually tried and could've snatched a HUGE win and caused me some heartburn. In the end, an exciting nil-nil draw will very much satisfy me.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
OMG, frigging LiVARpool, who gets more calls than God, have filed a complaint with PGMOL over the Villa game.
Liverpool officially Europa bound now with Man U clinching UCL today. The relegation fight takes center stage on the last day, with 7th place and 3rd tier European football a distant secondary story.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Finally got the Sandro Tonali deal over the line. An excellent signing that will help in all competitions this season, and possibly allow Guimaeres (sp?) to push farther up the pitch.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Newcastle are absolutely dropping the ball moving so slowly this summer. Only one senior signing in and they're asking for so much cheddar they haven't managed to move out any of the dead weight to help the wage bill. I get they're petrified of financial fair play, but they need players with the team and in training now, not at the end of the window. They're going to have tons more games and will have to be able to field several starting squads. And they still don't have a first-choice left back, much as I love BDB. This slow as molasses, careful approach is going to hurt the team.

All that said, the FFP fears are very real. The Prem and big 6 hate them so much that one atom of a toenail over FFP and they will be crushed with penalties. Doesn't apply to the rest of the big 6, of course--just ask Man City lol--but Newcastle, they would crucify.

Luciano

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He eats spaghetti, he drinks Moretti, he hates f* Sunderland !

Touché guys, nice chant !

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Luciano

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Haha thanks, I had noticed that one. Are you a fan?
Not a fan but of the Premier teams is the one I like the most. I don't follow very much these days.
I have a northern rock number 9 Alan Shearer Jersey somewhere.

Howay The Lads !

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Good start!
Indeed! Let's call off the rest of the season and go with these standings :D

I laugh in the face of the smarmy pundits all laughing at the idea of Newcastle finishing top 4. Let's just say we're like Washington...Washington...

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Like I said in another thread, a disappointing but not a shameful result. I didn't like the game plan because I think it was Howe who set the team up to not be the same attacking pressure force. Had a few buildups but never felt like Newcastle were taking the game to City. On to Liverfool!

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Like I said in another thread, a disappointing but not a shameful result. I didn't like the game plan because I think it was Howe who set the team up to not be the same attacking pressure force. Had a few buildups but never felt like Newcastle were taking the game to City. On to Liverfool!
there was a 5-10 min spell I watched in the second half where they put on heavy pressure. no shame in a 1-0 loss, but certainly a missed opportunity to steal a point from the champs. I'm excited for this season.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Indeed! Let's call off the rest of the season and go with these standings :D

I laugh in the face of the smarmy pundits all laughing at the idea of Newcastle finishing top 4. Let's just say we're like Washington...Washington...

My wife and I seem to quote this video about once a year.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Finally got to start watching We Are Newcastle United. Some really strong stuff in here. How can you not love these lads? It also puts the kibosh on all the "they're going to buy their way to success" and especially Jurgen Klopp's utterly bull ish comments all the time about massive spending and mega clubs. Once we come close to the spending those "big 6" clubs have had in the last decade, and even get to more than 1/5 of the revenue of those teams, then we can talk :)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally got to start watching We Are Newcastle United. Some really strong stuff in here. How can you not love these lads? It also puts the kibosh on all the "they're going to buy their way to success" and especially Jurgen Klopp's utterly bull ish comments all the time about massive spending and mega clubs. Once we come close to the spending those "big 6" clubs have had in the last decade, and even get to more than 1/5 of the revenue of those teams, then we can talk :)
I haven't seen the show, but you don't really have a lot of players in there that are marketable/likeable. I like the skills of Saint Maxim and Bruno G. The squad seems to be 6-8 at best IMO. Eddie Howe being such a good coach brings them where they are IMO.

I do appreciate the town of Newcastle and how big they are towards their team though.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
I haven't seen the show, but you don't really have a lot of players in there that are marketable/likeable. I like the skills of Saint Maxim and Bruno G. The squad seems to be 6-8 at best IMO. Eddie Howe being such a good coach brings them where they are IMO.

I do appreciate the town of Newcastle and how big they are towards their team though.
Actually, the squad has come leaps and bounds over the last few windows. Not on the level of Man City or Arsenal, and other squads may be deeper, but...eh, yeah, 8 is probably about fair.

St. Maximin was sold. Bruno is endearing all over the world. Miggy is a great character. Joelinton has been embraced and is awesome--"He's Joelinton, he's Brazilian, he only cost 40 million, Joooooe-linton!"--and so forth. Lots of great stories in there too. Who couldn't love Big Dan Burn, even when he's being the pantomime villain? And Jacob Murphy...let's just say his nickname for Anthony Gordon is typical: "Starboy Malfoy."

Yeah, the fans really get behind that team. They took over Trafalgar Square the night before the cup final. Imagine if the Cards had a fan base like that. There are only so many of us!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, the squad has come leaps and bounds over the last few windows. Not on the level of Man City or Arsenal, and other squads may be deeper, but...eh, yeah, 8 is probably about fair.
That is undeniable.
St. Maximin was sold.
Didn't even realize, but not surprised at all.
Bruno is endearing all over the world.
Best player on the team and it isn't even close.
Miggy is a great character. Joelinton has been embraced and is awesome--"He's Joelinton, he's Brazilian, he only cost 40 million, Joooooe-linton!"--and so forth. Lots of great stories in there too. Who couldn't love Big Dan Burn, even when he's being the pantomime villain? And Jacob Murphy...let's just say his nickname for Anthony Gordon is typical: "Starboy Malfoy."
This is why Eddie Howe is the best manager in the Premier League outside of Pep and Klopp. He gets the best out of his players.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Big, big match today. I wouldn't have named an unchanged lineup--maybe bring Murphy in for Almiron (he reverted to headless chicken mode last week) and would have brought Barnes in for Gordon (he's not shown good temperament). I would have also given Anderson a shout to start. But In Howe We Trust.

Will this be Salah's swan song? If so, will his head be turned? We shall see. Ongoing interesting happenings in Liverpool for sure.

Howe-way the lads!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose